2022 PGA Tour | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

“Their deals are their deals”...correct..The deal to play in LIV is to play golf and be PR for the Saudi government suggesting they are becoming a progressive county.

You suggested their deal was to “play a game”. It’s not, that’s kinda the point youre missing. I understand the question sucked. I wish these guys would have the balls to just tell the truth. They don’t feel that’s it’s wrong morally to take money from the Saudis, period, end of story. Just say it. Instead they are cowardly giving mealy mouthed answered about growing the game. It’s ridiculous.

*ahem*

“We’re golfers, we’re providing entertainment globally and will continue to do so,” DeChambeau said, adding later that he thinks “moving on” from that part of the conversation is “important.”

“Golf is a force for good,” DeChambeau said. “As time goes on, hopefully people will see the good they’re (the Saudis) doing. And what they’re trying to accomplish, rather than looking back at the bad that’s happened before.”

*ahem*

“We’re golfers, we’re providing entertainment globally and will continue to do so,” DeChambeau said, adding later that he thinks “moving on” from that part of the conversation is “important.”

“Golf is a force for good,” DeChambeau said. “As time goes on, hopefully people will see the good they’re (the Saudis) doing. And what they’re trying to accomplish, rather than looking back at the bad that’s happened before.”
:rolleyes:

Not trying to drag this down into the political dirt, but what ephing good are the Saudis doing??? Other than lining the pockets of PGA Tour pros...

:rolleyes:

Not trying to drag this down into the political dirt, but what ephing good are the Saudis doing??? Other than lining the pockets of PGA Tour pros...

Yeah I’d rather not make it political...just wanted to confirm that the job is VERY much a PR job vs just a golfer.

Every time a new signee comments, they say something that comes off poorly. Norman and friends need to change PR people immediately.
LIV is such a PR disaster I think they're almost better off not saying anything. The rationalizations are cringeworthy. People see it for what it is no matter what they say.

Its easy for these guys to jump at big money.. But it also means they dont care about all the guys who are grinding trying to make enough to live on..

What if the saudies offered 100 MLB guys 100 mill each to come play ball and they had a 5 team league.. Where does that put the other 5000 guys.. Golf is no different.. they got 40 guys playing for big money with a model that cant make money. They just pick off random guys that have been created by the other tours/college golf, but if they kill the PGA that have nothing to pick off after 5 years.

its like MLB if they have no farm system/college to build from.

whats the next step the PGA has players sign non-compete stuff, then the new LIV has to get players before they are established and players can decided which route to go down, but most wont be good enough early enough to earn big money.

Euro is in the same boat. They let guys play a few times there and a bunch over here. Guys might start playing 4 over there and LIV the rest but the majority of them are not really world stars.

Its easy for these guys to jump at big money.. But it also means they dont care about all the guys who are grinding trying to make enough to live on..

What if the saudies offered 100 MLB guys 100 mill each to come play ball and they had a 5 team league.. Where does that put the other 5000 guys.. Golf is no different.. they got 40 guys playing for big money with a model that cant make money. They just pick off random guys that have been created by the other tours/college golf, but if they kill the PGA that have nothing to pick off after 5 years.

whats the next step the PGA has players sign non-compete stuff, then the new LIV has to get players before they are established and players can decided which route to go down, but most wont be good enough early enough to earn big money.

Euro is in the same boat. They let guys play a few times there and a bunch over here. Guys might start playing 4 over there and LIV the rest but the majority of them are not really world stars.

They won't kill the PGA. They will likely weaken them and hurt their revenue pool, which will hurt the prize money and salaries of everybody associated with the tour on any level But it will always be able to exist and people on the top tour are going to make good money.

Which is why the PGA is so vigorously playing the we are virtuous and so noble card right now - to protect their piece of the pie. I am not taking LIV's side at all, but PGA playing the "we are good guys" card is questionable on a few levels... I'll deal that on another post.

But it's not like the PGA has not tried to push crappy product before. They push "crap" in many of their events. Look at the John Deere field this week for example. And its not only due to LIV. The field probably would not likely have had an extra top 100 players in the world in LIV this weekend.

These crappy events, or them not giving a flying **** about events like the Canadian Open until recently was a problem the PGA tour had well before LIV.

Golf will survive strongly because its core events amongst its fanbase (the majors) have are separate from both LIV and PGA.

Last edited:
If I look at this from purely a fan perspective (and disregarding Saudi $), I am getting a better golf event to watch this week than usual.

The John Deere is always a field full of mid-card and low-card jobbers -- understandably weak because its the week before the Open. It would tend to be a pass for me unless a Canadian was in contention or there was no competing other sporting events and I was home. Certainly not appointment TV.

The LIV field is actually decent this week - I am sure their first US event was strategically placed on this date knowing the competing PGA event would be weak. I'm watching a bit of it to see how they deliver their product -- their production is not bad, but the announcers and players are very prone to strong exaggeration regarding how great this event is.

Last edited:
If I look at this from purely a fan perspective (and disregarding Saudi $), I am getting a better golf event to watch this week than usual.

The John Deere is always a field full of mid-card and low-card jobbers -- understandably weak because its the week before the Open. It would tend to be a pass for me unless a Canadian was in contention or there was no competing other sporting events and I was home. Certainly not appointment TV.

The LIV field is actually decent this week - I am sure their first US event was strategically placed on this date knowing the competing PGA event would be weak. I'm watching a bit of it to see how they deliver their product -- their production is not bad, but the announcers and players are very prone to strong exaggeration regarding how great this event is.

I watched about 5 minutes today. The teams stuff is massive cringe. Not for me.

Would it kill JT Poston to, you know, smile? His expression varies from hangdog to morose.

I watched about 5 minutes today. The teams stuff is massive cringe. Not for me.

Awkward moment during the show. They posted a tweet from somebody at CBS Sports it seems... it was something like @KenDurhamCBS, but not exactly that either. . The tweet went as follows and was posted on their screen for about 15 seconds at the bottom corner... paraphrasing here

"Watching the LIV event and following the team scores. My kids think its really cool. Personally I think its goofy and needs a whole bunch of changes"

After being on the screen for about 5 seconds, Jerry Foltz (announcer) says look at this tweet that says "My kids think its really cool... that's really what its all about"

Not sure if they posted it because it was somebody from CBS, but it wasn't really that kind to them.

I think the concept of team golf could be interesting over a full PGA season, but I can't think of a way how to make it work. Clearly the way LIV is doing it, is not "IT". The team names, them making it seem so important... cringe is the right word.

The best way to kill LIV is for the World Golf Rankings folks to not give any points to LIV events. It won't matter to the guys who've already won majors and have exemptions, but it will stop the other ones from joining.

Let's take out the 8 events that the PGA tour does not fully own.
- The Majors
- World Golf Championships (talk about on next post)

Maybe 30-40% of the remaining PGA events fully own have less than 21 top 100 players in the world (before LIV). John Deere is amongst the worse, but its not the only one that will have less top 100 players than the last LIV event. And LIV should be up to at least 23 by next event due to new additions.

The next few events on the PGA tour, in Minnesota, Detroit and Greensboro close to 23 top 100 players as well (give or take a few -- could be less or some events) - and that may have also been the case before LIV even existed.

I said this before but when the PGA decides to stiff a tournament on the schedule and with TV allocation money like it did with the Canadian Open for multiple decades it can really screw its field (and indirectly screw with the charities that run those events). I do have some bitterness to the PGA, based on how the PGA screwed my national championship for years even though the Canadian Open consistently has one of the highest attendance and gates on tour and had a great legacy before the PGA started screwing with in the mid to late 90's.

It finally moved the Canadian open a proper spot in 2019 -- it was amusing on a hypocritical level to watch the event on TV a few weeks back, and Monahan pumping the Canadian Open as a great national open even though the PGA had disrespected it for years. But I will give them credit they finally put the tournament at a good spot.

August 11-14 Fed Ex Championship - World Championship Event - Are LIV players ineligible? This event is run by the International Federation of PGA Tours, which includes the PGA Tour and other tours.

I have not seen anything yet as to whether the suspended PGA players are ineligible for these events or not. I could not find any info in my google search either,

For example the European Tour (or DP Tour) has suspended LIV players for next 3 events and fined them $100,000. So not sure how they will rule for the WGC event.

For those LIV players currently in the top 50 the WGC events are integral ways for them to do try to maintain World Golf Ranking standing to help get into majors.

This Renaissance Course, which hosts this week's Scottish Open, looks pretty cool to me. Have any of you played it? Here is a hole-by-hole tour of the course:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom