2022 PGA Tour | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

As you all know, the PGA tour has all of a sudden come up with another $54 mil; it seems that Phil has at least a minor victory here in that his stated goal (not that I think that was his entire, or even main, reason) was to change the PGA tour. Where did this 54 mil come from and why didn't the PGA Tour access it before?

As you all know, the PGA tour has all of a sudden come up with another $54 mil; it seems that Phil has at least a minor victory here in that his stated goal (not that I think that was his entire, or even main, reason) was to change the PGA tour. Where did this 54 mil come from and why didn't the PGA Tour access it before?

Exactly - that is why the PGA tour taking any stance that puts them on the high road is comedy. LIV is blood money, but the PGA Tour is not Joan of Arc.

Also Ryder Cup participants will be paid eventually.

Exactly - that is why the PGA tour taking any stance that puts them on the high road is comedy. LIV is blood money, but the PGA Tour is not Joan of Arc.

I agree that the PGA Tour is far from the heroic defender here as I have stated here a few times -- and I will call them out again later in another post - but let's focus on Phil first.

This is not a Phil victory, nor a vindication that he is right on this point. He is not and it is very simple to explain where the money is coming from and why it is coming in now. But then again people have believed anything this phony has said for years.

Phil claims the PGA a has bunch of extra money. And they do - for a reason! They are a member owned business that draws in hundreds of millions of revenue each year and have millions of expenses, long term obligations and investments planned. Do you think members want to write a check to the PGA to fund them if they lose money or run out of cash? Or send them a check if they want to invest into their digital platform for example? The plan is not to break even in terms of cash or get that close to it. Members approve these reserves for a reason - and its because they have common sense and don't have the same "Financial Wizardry" of Phil Mickelson.

Do you think member partners approve reserves with no logic? You don't think the PGA is going to set aside a large number of reserves for a number of reasons, such as:
- Litigation
- Unexpected Losses of Revenue
- Pensions
- Future Capital Investments including Digital
- Strategic Initiatives / Competitive Reasons

Now that LIV is here, the PGA tour is able to raise the purses for two reasons:
1) Corporate Sponsors and TV Partners who are heavily invested in the tour as it stands are making further investments to protect the investments they already have. Fairly common strategy when fighting competion.
2) Taking money out of their reserves for strategic and competitive reasons to fight LIV. One of the exact reasons you keep reserves - to be able to access money when you feel most threatened. Phil the "Financial Wizard" will believe they were just hiding a bunch of money, and should have just spent all the money in the past, leaving the organization even more exposed today. Stunning that he is not PGA Tour Commissioner -- better yet he should be a CFO of a Fortune 500 company with his financial wizardry.

Last edited:
On to the PGA tour, they are not without criticism for the "we are the good guy" stance.

- Continued Investment in a Flagship WGC event in China
- In last 5 years have allowed members to play in Saudi events. They may also be drawing cuts of appearance fees when players play off tour (read somewhere, but it may also be false as I could not verify it anywhere else).
- Historically not taking much of a stand on anything.
- From a competitive level, getting way too greedy in the number of tournaments it has, stretching the talent pool way to thin for many of its own events.
- Questionable Charity Status at the Parent Level, a level which they make very few donations, in what some might consider a tax deferral / tax avoidance scheme.
- reported questionable spending within some of its charitable efforts.

Overall its great that money gets to charities (and I do 100% applaud the PGA tour for their involvement in helping with that), but the charity partners have to put substantial HR and other investments in the tournaments they are helping to run, and at times recently have had to take on more risk.

Last edited:
Exclusive footage of a meeting between Billy Horschel and Phil Mickelson earlier tonight at the Scottish Open

On to the PGA tour, they are not without criticism for the "we are the good guy" stance.

- Continued Investment in a Flagship WGC event in China
- In last 5 years have allowed members to play in Saudi events. They may also be drawing cuts of appearance fees when players play off tour (read somewhere, but it may also be false as I could not verify it anywhere else).
- Historically not taking much of a stand on anything.
- From a competitive level, getting way too greedy in the number of tournaments it has, stretching the talent pool way to thin for many of its own events.
- Questionable Charity Status at the Parent Level, a level which they make very few donations, in what some might consider a tax deferral / tax avoidance scheme.
- reported questionable spending within some of its charitable efforts.

Overall its great that money gets to charities (and I do 100% applaud the PGA tour for their involvement in helping with that), but the charity partners have to put substantial HR and other investments in the tournaments they are helping to run, and at times recently have had to take on more risk.
What % of their revenue goes to charity?

The problem is not that the PGA Tour has diluted their product with too many low-level tournaaments. As Horchel pointed out, nobody is forcing these guys to play 20/25/30 weeks a year.

By removiing the wraparound schedule and not starting the FedEx points season until January, as it used to be until 4-5 years ago, there should be no complaints as all. Play as much as you want if you're the Vijay Singh type, or as little as you want if you're the Stricker-type (as long as you play 15x). I wouldn't be surprised if that's lowered to 12-13.

Pumped for the Open. Can't beat waking up to major championship golf, especially when it's at the home of the game.

Pumped for the Open. Can't beat waking up to major championship golf, especially when it's at the home of the game.
Gotta say, I've always liked the 'idea' of St. Andrew's more than I actually like St. Andrew's.

Sacrilege, I know.

The problem is not that the PGA Tour has diluted their product with too many low-level tournaaments. As Horchel pointed out, nobody is forcing these guys to play 20/25/30 weeks a year.

By removiing the wraparound schedule and not starting the FedEx points season until January, as it used to be until 4-5 years ago, there should be no complaints as all. Play as much as you want if you're the Vijay Singh type, or as little as you want if you're the Stricker-type (as long as you play 15x). I wouldn't be surprised if that's lowered to 12-13.
Maybe some of the changes that Phil wanted.

John Daly and Dechambeau in the same group - brilliant. But Koepka is in the group behind; couldn't they have move him up one group?

How did Mark Calcavecchia get in the field, or why? I think Duval won at the old course.

John Daly and Dechambeau in the same group - brilliant. But Koepka is in the group behind; couldn't they have move him up one group?

How did Mark Calcavecchia get in the field, or why? I think Duval won at the old course.
Past champs are exempt through 60, and Calc's 62. He got a special exemption for being a past champ and missing the last two Opens due to the pandemic and back surgery.

Duval won at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's in 2001. Tiger won at St. Andrew's in 2000 and 2005.

Last edited:

Most likely the money came from cutting back from their charitable donations. The PGA tour has given more to charity than MLB, NFL, NHL and the NBA combined. They also probably cut back from the Sr tour and the Korn Ferry tour. Which they also help sponsor. They have said they could get more money for the poor players like Phil if they cut back in those areas. I hope those top tour players can survive.

The PGA tour gives more money to charity than the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NHL combined. There is no comparison between the two. You casually said blood money. Doesn't do the Saudi's brutality justice.

The PGA tour gives more money to charity than the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NHL combined. There is no comparison between the two. You casually said blood money. Doesn't do the Saudi's brutality justice.
In fairness, they do that to maintain tax-exempt status.

"more money" tells me nothing. How much? Do you have an annual amount or a % of revenue.

"more money" tells me nothing. How much? Do you have an annual amount or a % of revenue.
The PGA is a 501C organization. Sixteen percent of revenue goes to charity. The problem with that raw number is you can't compare it to what the beneficiaries would earn from other possibilities. What's given to charity is in the billions.

Why will Ryder Cup participants be paid eventually? They have been playing that event for years and years. I don't think any player has ever asked to be paid. It is an honor to represent your country. Or at least it used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom