2022 PGA Tour | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

This leaderboard is stacked especially for a Saturday. Great stuff.

Typically in the top 12 in a British Open the leaderboard at this point (middle round Saturday) would have at least half the field with middleweights or relative unknowns. I suppose it would be nice to have one or two bigger dogs hanging around like a Paul Dunne or a Jordan Niebrugge... see below..

The British Open is by far the most random of the majors since 2000. I have attached the 2015 British Open final standings at St. Andrews.

Zach Johnson was 25th entering the week.
Marc Leishman was 58th entering the week.

In 2015, PAUL DUNNE, was in a three way tie for lead at the British Open after Saturday... tied with Day and Oosthuizen. Dunne was an amateur (or just turned pro)... it was his second pro event and he was ranked 1548th in the world... tied with me and you with 0.00 world ranking points. Dunne's career never really anywhere after that... did get as high as 65 in the world in 2018, but quickly fell apart after that and is now ranked 1200th in the world.

I believe Jordan Niebrugge got within one shot of the lead early in the final round (could be wrong on that). He finished 6th. He was a an amateur who was ranked 1300th in the world before the Open -- after the open he got to 389th... A spot he has never reached again. He has now ranked 1744th in the world and tied with me with 0.00 ranking points -

1657990207696.png

1657990401781.png

Attachments

• 1657990264292.png
    1657990264292.png
    267 KB · Views: 30
I heard a Carrier Dome mention. They showed how many basketball courts could be put on one of those double greens at St. Andrews and they joked to Mike Tirico that it "looked like your Carrier Dome". Mike chuckled but didn't correct them to say that it looks like the JMA Wireless Dome.

I'm surprised that Scheffler is not 20 under as it seems he has a 10 birdie putt on almost every hole. I think he and Smith are the biggest threats to Rory, because they can go low if they are making putts.

I have Hovland as one of the best new players and he could possibly win but I don't see him making 30+ foot putts tomorrow and I expect his weak short game to catch up with him at some point.

I'm surprised that Scheffler is not 20 under as it seems he has a 10 birdie putt on almost every hole. I think he and Smith are the biggest threats to Rory, because they can go low if they are making putts.

I have Hovland as one of the best new players and he could possibly win but I don't see him making 30+ foot putts tomorrow and I expect his weak short game to catch up with him at some point.
I think the biggest threat to Rory is Rory. Hovland should match play this as long as he can. Pressure will mount on Rory and I don't trust him in these spots.

Holding Hovland 55-1, 56-1, and a bad 40-1 I took at turning stone because I had a good feeling haha

He just missed a putt there.

But that said the weakest part of his short game by far is his chipping out of traditional rough which really doesn't come into play at St Andrews as lag putting is often the play or an equal option to chipping.

That being said his ball striking let him down again - 2 holes in a row.

Holding Hovland 55-1, 56-1, and a bad 40-1 I took at turning stone because I had a good feeling haha

I took Hovland 30-1 after day 1. He was the only person I bet on this week, so finally got something right on golf (so far anyway)

Hedged a few things today after the 3rd hole, as I was out earlier (Mcilroy to beat Hovland in his match, Young, Johnson). Should have done those hedges last night to get a bit more value.

I took Hovland 30-1 after day 1. He was the only person I bet on this week, so finally got something right on golf (so far anyway)

Hedged a few things today after the 3rd hole, as I was out earlier (Mcilroy to beat Hovland in his match, Young, Johnson). Should have done those hedges last night to get a bit more value.

Can't hedge against everybody. Did not hedge against Smith of course and went for a few longer odds.
At least my Rory-Hovland hedge was for today's matchup between the two. Rory was -110 to win entering today and -136 in his matchup against Hovland so at least I did that part right.

Can Rory Mcilroy pull off a Constantino Rocca (1994?)

Got Smith after round 1 at +850. Never hedged to Rory...Sadly it’s expected he ends up in 2nd at this point.
Congrats. Took smith 22-1 after the masters. Hedged with Rory yesterday.

There was a rumour a few weeks back that a player in the World Top 10 was heading to LIV (but his name was being protected by the course). Which may make it real or of coursetotally bogus.

That being said the analysis brought it down to one of 3 guys who hadn't really been pro PGA vocal.
- Cameron Smith
- Victor Hovland
- Patrick Cantlay (weird response when asked about LIV)

If it is Cameron Smith the price tag has to be huge at this point. Not that I want him to go to LIV, but his number would be huge after a massive win.

Sometimes a guy loses a tournament, sometimes a guy wins it. I prefer the latter. Cam Smith flat out won this tournament.
His putting was terrific, but Smith's irons got him close enough to have realistic putts. Rory didn't have a gimme in 18 holes.

Sometimes a guy loses a tournament, sometimes a guy wins it. I prefer the latter. Cam Smith flat out won this tournament.

64 on Sunday is certainly earning it. Still, Rory made every green in regulation but couldn't get even one of those lag puts to curl in. :oops::confused:

Smith (64) and Young (65) both brought it from the second last group today.
Cam Smith will rise to #2 in the world, and Cam Young to approximately #16.

That being said it could still take a few months of good play for Smith to catch Scheffler.

Great set of major winners this year - Scheffler, Fitzpatrick, Thomas, Smith.

There was a rumour a few weeks back that a player in the World Top 10 was heading to LIV (but his name was being protected by the course). Which may make it real or of coursetotally bogus.

That being said the analysis brought it down to one of 3 guys who hadn't really been pro PGA vocal.
- Cameron Smith
- Victor Hovland
- Patrick Cantlay (weird response when asked about LIV)

If it is Cameron Smith the price tag has to be huge at this point. Not that I want him to go to LIV, but his number would be huge after a massive win.
He was VERY unpersuasive in his presser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom