2022 Portal | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

It’s not likely he’ll reach out until we have definitive decisions by Mintz, Cole and a couple other current players.
That is coaching negligence. I coach AAU basketball, we have a couple D2 kids in the portal who are getting D1 offers/interest. An NCAA tournament school reached out to tell me they have interest but they don't have a scholly yet but anticipate having one soon (they hadn't finished exit interviews because they were in the tournament) and that they were goind to reach out to the player and explain their situation. If we aren't doing at least that then this staff is doing a major disservice to the program. And why isn't this already done (exit interviews) we should be AHEAD of the NCAA tournament teams not behind them with exit interviews.

That is coaching negligence. I coach AAU basketball, we have a couple D2 kids in the portal who are getting D1 offers/interest. An NCAA tournament school reached out to tell me they have interest but they don't have a scholly yet but anticipate having one soon (they hadn't finished exit interviews because they were in the tournament) and that they were goind to reach out to the player and explain their situation. If we aren't doing at least that then this staff is doing a major disservice to the program. And why isn't this already done (exit interviews) we should be AHEAD of the NCAA tournament teams not behind them with exit interviews.

Who said anything about exit interviews being done or not?

Cole is pretty much gone and DePaul is the frontrunner with Mintz. So that leaves us 12.
I don't know why you would say Cole is pretty much gone. I know he would like to come back if things are the right situation for him. He might leave. But I wouldn't say he is pretty much gone yet. Maybe later today, but not yet.

Last edited:
It's kind of crazy to not go after impact players that could help us win next year because we have JBA and Chaz on scholarship. We know 2-3 of the frosh likely won't be ready to contribute all that much, so we're looking at what, 7-8 players that might be able to be counted on? JB and the staff should be trying to improve the talent any way they can.

Most scholarships at the P5 level now are 4 year scholarships.

There is legislation saying that you can not take away a scholarship for athletic performance or just because.

Have to be academically DQ’d etc to take away a scholarship.

Unless you can prove that those are 1 year scholarships, I’m going to assume they are 4 years

We are legally bound to only allow 13 scholarship players.

Can’t offer if you don’t have the scholarships

Someone maybe Dasher said they should be done this week. Whether that is accurate or not, the main point is in no way, shape, or form, should the staff not be proactively recruiting the portal whether they can actually "offer" right now or not. They should not be "waiting" and I truly hope that is not the case. However based on your quote saying they most likely won't reach out until dominos fall that is the point, that is not how effective recruiting works in this day and age

We should be hitting the portal hard right now. We just had a losing season. I can't for the life of me believe this is even a question. Guys will leave. We need help. Help is out there if we work for it.

We should be hitting the portal hard right now. We just had a losing season. I can't for the life of me believe this is even a question. Guys will leave. We need help. Help is out there if we work for it.

Right, but we only get 13 scholarships

If Cole comes back we are maxed out

Someone maybe Dasher said they should be done this week. Whether that is accurate or not, the main point is in no way, shape, or form, should the staff not be proactively recruiting the portal whether they can actually "offer" right now or not. They should not be "waiting" and I truly hope that is not the case. However based on your quote saying they most likely won't reach out until dominos fall that is the point, that is not how effective recruiting works in this day and age
100% correct. But it is a sign of the way we have been going about our business for a few years now. It's not a winning way. You let kids know we want you. You are important to us. You can put us over the top. It's called selling.

Someone maybe Dasher said they should be done this week. Whether that is accurate or not, the main point is in no way, shape, or form, should the staff not be proactively recruiting the portal whether they can actually "offer" right now or not. They should not be "waiting" and I truly hope that is not the case. However based on your quote saying they most likely won't reach out until dominos fall that is the point, that is not how effective recruiting works in this day and age.

images

Attachments

• 1647968589318.png
    1647968589318.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 82

Which guys at which position? We have 4 guards not counting Mintz. If we go after a portal guard does that quarantine no Mintz?

The interviews are not always and usually aren’t the time that a player makes a decision whether to stay or not.

Which guys at which position? We have 4 guards not counting Mintz. If we go after a portal guard does that quarantine no Mintz?
I would say it would. And I want Mintz. But we can't afford to be left holding the bag. We need a better guard than we have right now. Someone that can do what these guys do only a little bit better and a little bit more. And they are out there. Someone will get them. Like I said, I want Mintz. I'm not willing to wait for him to decide. There is a good chance that anyone we go after now, won't decide before Mintz does anyway. if we get someone almost as good today, I'm fine with that.

While that is true, we have this discussion every year. There will be attrition. Either players will move on or they will be steered out the door if we need to make room for someone.
Yes. Every coach does it. "I'm sorry but we don't think you will get any playing time next season".

We currently have on scholly…

Jesse
Frank
JBA
Chaz Owens
Benny
Symir
JG3

Plus our new recruits which is 5 and that doesn’t include Mintz.

So that is 12 scholarships right there….

If Mintz commits it would be 13. If he doesn’t and Cole comes back we are 13 again….

We don’t really have room right now to chase down portal players unless we have a couple guys leave
Jesse may test the water with NBA
Frank may transfer if Jesse comes back
JBA entered the portal last year no idea about this year
Chaz most likely back
Benny so much speculation about his return or not
Symir most likely back
JG3 should be back except that one tweet saying he may be portal bound
We got five new signees who are allowed to decommit if JB retires.

So we probably will have spots. Don't know if we can wait for Mintz and if he is leaning DePaul we should just talk to him about next year's portal lol.

You can make offers. If you have one spot you can offer three kids. You can tell them whoever commits first takes that spot.

Last edited:
I would say it would. And I want Mintz. But we can't afford to be left holding the bag. We need a better guard than we have right now. Someone that can do what these guys do only a little bit better and a little bit more. And they are out there. Someone will get them. Like I said, I want Mintz. I'm not willing to wait for him to decide. There is a good chance that anyone we go after now, won't decide before Mintz does anyway. if we get someone almost as good today, I'm fine with that.
Mintz said will make decision at end of month at Nationals

It's kind of crazy to not go after impact players that could help us win next year because we have JBA and Chaz on scholarship. We know 2-3 of the frosh likely won't be ready to contribute all that much, so we're looking at what, 7-8 players that might be able to be counted on? JB and the staff should be trying to improve the talent any way they can.
JB doesn’t want more than 7 who can contribute. He doesn’t want to be questioned about playing time. We have 46 years of proof.

You don’t know that they aren’t checking things out in the portal. It seems people think the staff is just out fishing or playing golf. Most have no clue what the staff is doing.

Jesse may test the water with NBA
Frank may transfer if Jesse comes back
JBA entered the portal last year no idea about this year
Chaz most likely back
Benny so much speculation about his return or not
Symir most likely back
JG3 should be back except that one tweet saying he may be portal bound
We got five new signees who are allowed to decommit if JB retires.

So we probably will have spots. Don't know if we can wait for Mintz and if he is leaning DePaul we should just talk to him about next year's portal lol.

You can make offers. If you have one spot you can offer three kids. You can tell them whoever commits first takes that spot.

Jesse is not going
Frank is coming back
JBA tried to portal last year and couldn’t get looks, no way he leaves now
Benny, Symir and JG3 are locks to come back. If Benny wasn’t, I doubt they would have had him show Mintz around for his visit.

Also, our season ended almost a few weeks ago and yet none of our guys have hit the portal or tested the NBA waters except for Jimmy and Buddy

We just simply don’t have the room to add these players. It’s not as easy as many of you on here think it is…

JB doesn’t want more than 7 who can contribute. He doesn’t want to be questioned about playing time. We have 46 years of proof.
The last 4 years has been the worst in terms of minute distribution. We are hoping that with a certain blinder removed things will get better. At the very least have players at the 6-13 spots that are practice worthy.

The name of the game is to overrecruit. If there is a guard better than the 4 we have and can get him then we should be doing everything in our power to get that player to SU. Our returning guards aren't good enough to turn anyone away.

Outside of Jessie and maybe Cole none of our projected starters are good enough to turn a better player away via the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom