2022 Portal | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

I am wondering with all the players in the portal last year, what happened to those who were left standing when the music stopped? Did they all go back to the schools they jumped into the portal from and those schools took them back? Or they ended up at a lower tier school or had to accept an even lesser role? Any player left without a scholarship because there is no more spot available? I haven't read any report where they discussed or interviewed some of those players who wished they didn't jump into the portal?
I imagine for a player it’s an embarrassing fact to publicize that no one wants you. I would imagine that each player still holds onto some hope of eventually finding a landing place whether a reasonable expectation or not.

I imagine that more very sad stories about the transfer portal will pop up in 5 to 10 years from now when a player looks back on opportunities lost from a different and sadly more permanent perspective.That is, if the media wants to expose it too.

I imagine for a player it’s an embarrassing fact to publicize that no one wants you. I would imagine that each player still holds onto some hope of eventually finding a landing place whether a reasonable expectation or not.

Thanks for the link.

This stat:

"Of the 480 Power Five scholarship players 247Sports studied from the 2019-20 cycle, only 26.5% of them stayed as a scholarship player on a P-5 roster. Another 26.3% signed with a G-5 program. Overall, 47.2% of P-5 scholarship athletes went to the FCS, junior college ranks or did not find a landing spot. Among the 826 FBS scholarship players 247Sports examined, only 37.8% stayed on the FBS level."

so for football, 47.5% of P-5 players did not find a landing spot at another school. That's about half. Yet they kept entering the portal.

EA864371-BAAA-48BD-ABB7-893C26AB1BDC.png

Our sweet prince has given up his Syracuse/DePaul beat and seems to have moved on to St John’s

If Syracuse goes to the portal to get players, they have to be here for 2 years. The first year has an adjustment period and the players are just hitting their stride late in the season.

If Syracuse goes to the portal to get players, they have to be here for 2 years. The first year has an adjustment period and the players are just hitting their stride late in the season.
I disagree. Swider didn't stay for 2 years. Plus, if plug holes with guys having more than a year of eligibility you are jamming up this big incoming freshman class.

I disagree. Swider didn't stay for 2 years. Plus, if plug holes with guys having more than a year of eligibility you are jamming up this big incoming freshman class.
Swider would be so much better next year, from the start of the season. Hughes got much better, Gbinije got much better.

obv not for us, but ACC news and kind of interesting-

so now both Honor and Dawes are leaving

obv not for us, but ACC news and kind of interesting-

so now both Honor and Dawes are leaving

Interesting. Would they get rid of Brownell? He isn't great but they aren't a hoops program beyond the occasional over performing year..

If Quincy to SU ends up happening, really really gotta hope one more schollie opens up for a legit scoring forward

We recruited Ballard prior... whom from the portal would you want for a scoring forward (that's also on our "prior-recruited" list) ??

For those that say "We should not be limiting ourselves to only players we recruited prior!"...

I would agree, but we need to factor one thing into the mix:

Reality.

Last edited:
We recruited Ballard prior... whom from the portal would you want (that's also on the "prior-recruited" list)?

For those that say "We should not be limiting ourselves to only players we recruited prior!"...

I would agree, but we need to factor one thing into the mix:

Reality.

Ballard's recruitment seemed to pop up out of nowhere and wasn't very long on our part. Just more visible given he was local.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom