2022 Preseason Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Preseason Thread

Can someone post the full article - I don't have a subscription

Here's the jist...

The Orange brought in Virginia-transfer Bobby Gavin to bolster the competition this spring. He’s one of two candidates to open in net when SU kicks off its season Feb. 12 against Holy Cross, Gait said, along with Harrison Thompson, Porter’s top backup each of the past two seasons.

“I don’t think we’ve settled on it yet,” Gait said after Thursday’s practice.

“We’ve got one more scrimmage and then after that we’ll make some decisions, and we’re not sure if it’ll be a consistent starting goalie or we’ll give them each a shot.

“I really think they’re neck and neck. We have two goalies who really have that opportunity to lead this team.”

Quint has moved from IL to Lacrosse All Stars it looks like. Say what you will about the guy but I enjoy his Top 20 each week, even if I disagree with a lot of his rankings. I have seriously wonder what is going on at IL. There is so little content. Gone is the IL Yearbook and I think they've only done two articles related to the NCAA Season this week.

Here's the jist...

The Orange brought in Virginia-transfer Bobby Gavin to bolster the competition this spring. He’s one of two candidates to open in net when SU kicks off its season Feb. 12 against Holy Cross, Gait said, along with Harrison Thompson, Porter’s top backup each of the past two seasons.

“I don’t think we’ve settled on it yet,” Gait said after Thursday’s practice.

“We’ve got one more scrimmage and then after that we’ll make some decisions, and we’re not sure if it’ll be a consistent starting goalie or we’ll give them each a shot.

“I really think they’re neck and neck. We have two goalies who really have that opportunity to lead this team.”
Thanks - appreciate it.

Interesting info from a Loyola parent on yesterday's game. SU utilizing a 10 man ride (rarely done under JD, also SU was up 8-0 @ one point.

Screenshot_20220206-153834_Samsung Internet.jpg

Getting lacrosse news is harder to come by than getting information from the Kremlin.

I think there is still a huge opportunity for a well-run lacrosse news and info site. I think IL comes up a bit short.

Syracuse has a top notch communications school and a historical lax program. Coverage should be in depth , do appreciate any material and this author produced a more complete writeup than the first two segments but hoping citrus authors become more familiar and knowledgeable of team so level approaches articles produced by Syracuse .com, Daily Orange, Nunes etc.

I really hope Gait and Co. give meaningful playing time to Savage and any other deserving fogo both for their development and to deal with injuries, fatigue and any inconsistencies with Phaup. It is a very demanding position and Desko seemed unable to allocate more time to backup fogos. It's been a problem going back at least as far as Ben Williams. Fogo play was absolutely critical to both our successes and failures against the ACC last year. Last years' humiliating losses to ND (twice) UNC, Army and a tough loss to Duke were due in large part to lack of possessions and a tired defense (to say nothing of an offense which needed more possessions to get into a rhythm.

As for the goalies, the first 2 games will be difficult barometers at the extreme. HC is very weak and both goalies should be able to have respectable numbers. With Maryland, we could be annihilated unless the defense holds up which means the goalies could be hung out to dry with ugly stats. Maybe the most useful evaluation for the coaches will be to see who handles the pressure and keeps his composure best against MD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom