2022 Preseason Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Preseason Thread

A fantastic first impression for the new coaching staff.
Cuse previously scrimmaged OSU and looked very good from all accounts , shouldn't write off any but looking at next scrimmage vs strong team as truer barometer

Cuse previously scrimmaged OSU and looked very good from all accounts , shouldn't write off any but looking at next scrimmage vs strong team as truer barometer
I am sure that Hiltz going down did nothing good for the morale. But Michigan ain’t all that. There shouldn’t even be a rumor of a score like that in any situation. As I said earlier the news is always comically bad in preseason. I remember when losing to Yale by 5 or 6 in a scrimmage felt like not a good sign.

I am sure that Hiltz going down did nothing good for the morale. But Michigan ain’t all that. There shouldn’t even be a rumor of a score like that in any situation. As I said earlier the news is always comically bad in preseason. I remember when losing to Yale by 5 or 6 in a scrimmage felt like not a good sign.

I think most of us expected this to be a rebuild year but injuries were the one thing we couldn't afford and this team is already dealing with a bunch. Still it's more then a bit disconcerting that this team could lose like that and Gait saw the fall and thought let's add Maryland and only 1 layup to the schedule. Baffling.

Last edited:

Agreed, need a much better performance next week against a top 10 program

I think most of us expected this to be a rebuild year but injuries were the one thing we couldn't afford and this team is already dealing with a bunch. Still it's more then a bit disconcerting that this team could lose like that and Gait saw the fall and thought let's add Maryland only 1 layup to the schedule. Baffling.

He doesn't care. There's no quick turnaround here. We've been out recruited by our conference brethren, several Ivys, and even a few Big Ten programs, for the last 5 or 6 years. Gaits going to get his style/systems in place. Go get his guys. And get the programs mojo back.

Let's be honest, SU is at a significant deficit in its ability to offer aid and top notch academics, which seem to be the ultimate drivers of recruiting in this era. The things we have are tradition, facilities, long term investment, and the legacy of playing with far and away more swagger than all others. That last piece is the draw. Spallina wants to be Casey Powell 2.0. If this program is to regain its standing, it's because recruits want to be apart of this brand. Gait needs to resurrect the brand.

He doesn't care. There's no quick turnaround here. We've been out recruited by our conference brethren, several Ivys, and even a few Big Ten programs, for the last 5 or 6 years. Gaits going to get his style/systems in place. Go get his guys. And get the programs mojo back.

Let's be honest, SU is at a significant deficit in its ability to offer aid and top notch academics, which seem to be the ultimate drivers of recruiting in this era. The things we have are tradition, facilities, long term investment, and the legacy of playing with far and away more swagger than all others. That last piece is the draw. Spallina wants to be Casey Powell 2.0. If this program is to regain its standing, it's because recruits want to be apart of this brand. Gait needs to resurrect the brand.

Agreed certainly no quick turnaround but there also wasn't the need to schedule like Maryland, especially when you see who UVA and UNC and Duke scheduled. Sorry to keep beating this dead horse but injuries are mostly unpreventable but this schedule and setting this team up for more success was, extremely frustrating.

Agreed certainly no quick turnaround but there also wasn't the need to schedule like Maryland, especially when you see who UVA and UNC and Duke scheduled. Sorry to keep beating this dead horse but injuries are mostly unpreventable but this schedule and setting this team up for more success was, extremely frustrating.
On the fence on Maryland this year being a good or bad decision, but certainly have come around on needing some easy games later in the season to breathe a little.

Fortunately the recruiting so far has shown signs of a return to the mojo of old with the serious 2022 class. But if we are truly humiliated a bunch this year it may be a little tougher to make that pitch to flip another big name in the 2023 class or get that desirable grad transfer. I think kids can accept the future looks bright to a certain extent, but if you look REALLY bad in the present it is hard to pitch that positive image of the future

The 22 recruiting class attended.

Nobody knows what is Hiltz injury unless they were the ones examining. Remains to be seen.

Scrimmages are for working out bugs. We might need exterminator but season is two weeks away .

Never as good or bad as one can look on any one particular day

Maintaining hope for Hiltz and faith that team finds its mojo.

A fantastic first impression for the new coaching staff.

Yeah don't want to take to much from a scrimmage but I really thought if nothing else, having a mostly new coaching staff had brought a new excitement to the program. First outing against another team though it appears this team and Gait have a lot of work ahead of them.

Fortunately the recruiting so far has shown signs of a return to the mojo of old with the serious 2022 class. But if we are truly humiliated a bunch this year it may be a little tougher to make that pitch to flip another big name in the 2023 class or get that desirable grad transfer. I think kids can accept the future looks bright to a certain extent, but if you look REALLY bad in the present it is hard to pitch that positive image of the future

Early playing time is an easy sell.

John Wildhack joins Brent to discuss the football schedule, the state of Syracuse men’s basketball, both lacrosse teams, and more!

LAX begins at 15:00 mark.

John Wildhack joins Brent to discuss the football schedule, the state of Syracuse men’s basketball, both lacrosse teams, and more!

LAX begins at 15:00 mark.

Anything noteworthy?

Losing Hiltz hurts.

Losing Emma Ward hurts.

Something about a future player and NIL. ;) .

Needs to be national NIL guidelines. NY State is one of 5 states where HS kids can have NIL deals. Schools are figuring it out as it goes. Educating parents is the key.

Ya losing Hiltz is unfortunately a much bigger blow then Ward even though she is a great player. Holding out some hope on Hiltz but seems like this will likely be a season ender.

Ya losing Hiltz is unfortunately a much bigger blow then Ward even though she is a great player. Holding out some hope on Hiltz but seems like this will likely be a season ender.
Still can’t believe this is happening. Why him? On entertainment value alone this is such a tragedy.

Still can’t believe this is happening. Why him? On entertainment value alone this is such a tragedy.

It's rare but does happen, remember it happening to Galasso his first year here after the transfer. Sucks but what can you do? Assuming he is out for the year it would give him 3 years with Spallina versus two, silver lining at least.

It's rare but does happen, remember it happening to Galasso his first year here after the transfer. Sucks but what can you do? Assuming he is out for the year it would give him 3 years with Spallina versus two, silver lining at least.
It’s basically the Dordevic situation all over again. Preseason tragedy is a killer. Not too different from Mellen either.

It’s basically the Dordevic situation all over again. Preseason tragedy is a killer. Not too different from Mellen either.

Similar to Mellen's for sure, Dordevic I believe was a chronic thing that popped up again and they tried to treat it without surgery but it was inevitable. Better for it to happen now versus six weeks and the chance for a RS to be gone. Of course I would prefer it didn't happen at all but so would every team. Gonna probably have to try a few guys and hope someone seizes the opportunity or we catch lightning in a bottle. In all honestly I didn't see this team winning a lot of games to begin with due to this schedule and lack of high end talent in some positions, this all but seals it.

Last edited:
Similar to Mellen's for sure, Dordevic I believe was a chronic thing that popped up again and they tried to treat it without surgery but it was inevitable. Better for it to happen now versus six weeks and the chance for a RS to be gone. Of course I would prefer it didn't happen at all but so would every team. Gonna probably have to try a few guys and hope someone seizes the opportunity or we catch ligthning in a bottle. In all honestly I didn't see this team winning a lot of game with this schedule and lack of high end talent in some errors, this all but seals it.
It is nice that for the first time in a while there is a big picture exciting and promising future. With Desko it felt like every year we had to prove ourselves and engage in some of the same debates that bball gets into about when to fire a legendary coach and whether or not he still has the magic. Not needing to debate that after all these years will feel like a relief.

I can take a little short term grief for a staff that doesn’t have its own recruits yet. Feel like Gait could start slow and hit his stride with a little time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom