2022 Schedule Guesses | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Schedule Guesses

Well I certainly agree that playing a schedule like Michigan or even Rutty doesn't serve this team well at all. That said we also have to be honest on where the team/program is right now. This current SU team has a lot of potential promise but its not a title contender and is if were being honest probably last in the ACC (as of now). It does have a lot of 5th year guys who are capable of carrying this team (especially on offense) but your breaking in a new staff and even with March back the offense is likely to be very different and the 2 mid lines will be radically different and the defense is a complete overhaul.

I say this every season... I would love for the mantra to be focus on the next game and next game only.

Well I certainly agree that playing a schedule like Michigan or even Rutty doesn't serve this team well at all. That said we also have to be honest on where the team/program is right now. This current SU team has a lot of potential promise but its not a title contender and is if were being honest probably last in the ACC (as of now). It does have a lot of 5th year guys who are capable of carrying this team (especially on offense) but your breaking in a new staff and even with March back the offense is likely to be very different and the 2 mid lines will be radically different and the defense is a complete overhaul.

I know blowouts can sometimes feel like fools gold but you need games to work the kinks out, try different combos, and get some of the young guys who aren't gonna play some run. Not many games to do that with this year. SU's bad habits have been around for years unfortunately and I don't think are a product of the schedule. I mean SU beat the National Champ twice last year and it didn't do us jack against G-town in the tourney. Coaching will be the emphasis for trying to clean up those issues more then the opponent.

It pains me to say this but when you say " in the conversation" this SU team probably isn't, it just doesn't have the pieces to be a Memorial weekend team. This squad making the tourney and having a good showing is really the goal for this year, not sure this current schedule will allow us to do that. This schedule is what I would expect for the 2024 team, not this one.
Jeremy - admire your realism and clarity. I agree we should have low expectations for this team. Reshuffling everywhere, from attack to goalie, SU was awful last year, might be worse this year. I am not sure how to think about the quality of the opposition as a measure of an advantage or disadvantage to this team. I think both sides make good points. Have seen teams get throttled by excellent competition and never recover from that year and teams get throttled by competition way above their heads come back to have great years in all sports. I guess I like to watch the highest level of lacrosse no matter the teams. A game against an obviously inferior opponent offends my sense of the aesthetics of sport. So I hope SU plays the very best teams they can all the time regardless of our expectations. But I also hate to lose so go figure. Anyway I appreciate your point of view.

The last 7 games might be he toughest stretch of any team in the country. Duke at ND, at Albany, Cornell, @ UNC, UVA, ND. Yikes. Needed a Siena or Canisius or St. Bonaventure in there to break things up. People should be prepared for some serious growing pains.

@ Georgetown
Loyola
@ North Carolina
@ Virginia
Syracuse

I'd take the above as the toughest 5 game stretch and the one you mentioned as the toughest 7 game stretch.

Last edited:
UVA releases their schedule, joining Syracuse as the only ACC schools to do so despite being very close to the start of the regular season. They do play Maryland, but outside of that, not the toughest out of conference slate. Quinnipiac? Lafayette?

UVA releases their schedule, joining Syracuse as the only ACC schools to do so despite being very close to the start of the regular season. They do play Maryland, but outside of that, not the toughest out of conference slate. Quinnipiac? Lafayette?

This is the schedule that SU should be playing honestly. A few tougher OOC in Hop and Maryland and then a few cupcakes (Lafaeyette Quinnipiac) and then some mid tier games that UVA will still be massive favorites in ie AF, Hight Point, Towson and Richmond. Towson should be improved so maybe there more of a challenging game but still an overall weaker schedule then you would expect from the #1 school.

Speaking of schedules, Maryland's hasn't been officially released but man they are playing a gauntlet to. Cuse, UVA, ND, Princeton, Loyola and Albany. Geezus

This is the schedule that SU should be playing honestly. A few tougher OOC in Hop and Maryland and then a few cupcakes (Lafaeyette Quinnipiac) and then some mid tier games that UVA will still be massive favorites in ie AF, Hight Point, Towson and Richmond. Towson should be improved so maybe there more of a challenging game but still an overall weaker schedule then you would expect from the #1 school.
Also you have Lafayette and Quinnipiac near the end of the season. A 2 week break after Lafayette before the first round. UVA plays Duke on 4/14 and then goes a month with Syracuse being the only quality team. I guess it will keep UVA from being banged up at NCAA tmt time.

Also you have Lafayette and Quinnipiac near the end of the season. A 2 week break after Lafayette before the first round. UVA plays Duke on 4/14 and then goes a month with Syracuse being the only quality team. I guess it will keep UVA from being banged up at NCAA tmt time.

Ya I gotta admit I don't love two cupcakes that late, 1 is fine but not 2.

One quirk in schedule that I didnt notice until now is that we are playing Army on a weds, just a few days after playing UVA in Va? I do not get the logic of that at all , team needs to be fresh for that game and wont be.

Another quirk is playing UVA in Va in late February and then playing them at dome in late April. Shouldn't those sites be reversed given weather considerations ?

One quirk in schedule that I didnt notice until now is that we are playing Army on a weds, just a few days after playing UVA in Va? I do not get the logic of that at all , team needs to be fresh for that game and wont be.

Another quirk is playing UVA in Va in late February and then playing them at dome in late April. Shouldn't those sites be reversed given weather considerations ?
No. The first game is the "added" game under the 6-game schedule and the second game is what would be the regularly scheduled game. In 2023 and 2024, we will just play in April because the UVa home-and-homes under the 6-game schedule will be with Duke and ND. Playing early in the season was a holdover from when it was a non-conference game. 2020 was to have been the first year of playing in April instead of February.

No. The first game is the "added" game under the 6-game schedule and the second game is what would be the regularly scheduled game. In 2023 and 2024, we will just play in April because the UVa home-and-homes under the 6-game schedule will be with Duke and ND. Playing early in the season was a holdover from when it was a non-conference game. 2020 was to have been the first year of playing in April instead of February.
Thx Hoo . Wouldn't it make sense to flip sites if no conflicts and able to do so?

Thx Hoo . Wouldn't it make sense to flip sites if no conflicts and able to do so?
With any luck they won't have to plow 3 feet of snow off the field, so there's that.

'terrific" as used in sarcasm not as Klockner is best in class

Do like that stadium and Cuse has had some good moments there recently but late February can be questionable. Maybe AD's explore swapping sites

UVA had a very long layoff from their last game of the regular season to their first round playoff game against Bryant - two weeks I beleive. Maybe Lars likes having a wind down before the tournament? It obviously led to a championship last season, but they did struggle against Bryant in that first round game.

Tough schedule, and I know I shouldn’t talk as an SU fan, but only FOUR AWAY GAMES!

Tough schedule, and I know I shouldn’t talk as an SU fan, but only FOUR AWAY GAMES!

It seems a little curious to me that the UMd vs UNC series ended.
UMd seems to be playing UVa that weekend, and UNC is playing High Point.

Sort of interesting that UNC and OSU are going at it. They have scrimmaged each other a bit, but I am not sure they have played recently. As we all know, Breschi coached OSU till 2008 and then moved to UNC, and his top assistant Nick Myers took over the OSU program.

Heels adopting the Cuse model of not leaving the friendly confines of your own stadium until the season is halfway over, but at least the Orange have the excuse of the Dome. What is UNC's excuse? Crazy what some of these teams are getting away with. They only leave the state of North Carolina twice, and one of those is in Virginia. The game @ ND is really their only major road trip of the entire season.

UNC likely gets off to a fast start as softer games front loaded and more difficult acc games back loaded . Beautiful stadium but home advantage minimized some by sparse attendance

Heels adopting the Cuse model of not leaving the friendly confines of your own stadium until the season is halfway over, but at least the Orange have the excuse of the Dome. What is UNC's excuse? Crazy what some of these teams are getting away with. They only leave the state of North Carolina twice, and one of those is in Virginia. The game @ ND is really their only major road trip of the entire season.
UNC's excuse is fairly obvious, it is in the south.
The average high on February 12th is 54 degrees.
The average high on Febuary 26th is 58 degrees.

Duke not exactly playing a murders row OOC, quite a few cupcake type games. Makes SU's decision to schedule so few "gimme" type games even more questionable in my opinion.

'terrific" as used in sarcasm not as Klockner is best in class

Do like that stadium and Cuse has had some good moments there recently but late February can be questionable. Maybe AD's explore swapping sites
Is there a basketball conflict?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom