2022 Schedule Guesses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Schedule Guesses

I do not have fond memories of the last time the Terps were in the Dome. Game was over after the first five minutes. A bit worried Gait might be biting off more than he can chew to be honest ...

In regards to the right time to play them, I think this year's Orange might be a better test for Maryland, Syracuse has a lot returning. Spallina will be very good, but the Orange will be looking to replace quite a bit, probably their entire midfield, DiPietro and Murphy if we assume they retain their starting roles, Phaup, Seebold ... I am excited for the freshman class in '23 year but the team will be awfully young. Maryland will lose a lot as well, but I have to think they will restock on the transfer market (more than Syracuse will at least). I'm getting way ahead of myself!

Gait had also mentioned doing a "Lacrosse Festival" of some sort in the Dome, curious what teams he had in mind for that. Also, I think the women's team played a lot of games back to back on short rest, I wonder if we see more midweek games with Gait in charge?

So we ended up avoiding the whole Rutgers deal.
No Rutgers. Shame because they're a solid but beatable local this year . Would have drawn a good crowd whether home or away

Very good team last year due to a top attack line and balance but all three attackers have graduated and nothing stick outs beyond their goalie Kirst who somehow returned.

See Hopkins surpassing them in b10 and being the only true challenger to Maryland in that conference.

I do not have fond memories of the last time the Terps were in the Dome. Game was over after the first five minutes. A bit worried Gait might be biting off more than he can chew to be honest ...

In regards to the right time to play them, I think this year's Orange might be a better test for Maryland, Syracuse has a lot returning. Spallina will be very good, but the Orange will be looking to replace quite a bit, probably their entire midfield, DiPietro and Murphy if we assume they retain their starting roles, Phaup, Seebold ... I am excited for the freshman class in '23 year but the team will be awfully young. Maryland will lose a lot as well, but I have to think they will restock on the transfer market (more than Syracuse will at least). I'm getting way ahead of myself!

Gait had also mentioned doing a "Lacrosse Festival" of some sort in the Dome, curious what teams he had in mind for that. Also, I think the women's team played a lot of games back to back on short rest, I wonder if we see more midweek games with Gait in charge?
Yes , you're getting ahead of yourself. Maryland will be a tough opponent to play any year even when Cuse returns to FF caliber .

Cupboard wont be bare in 2023 and Cuse will play the transfer market to augment.

Cuse will face many good teams this year . There is enuff of a talent nucleus to be competitive but no one should bet expecting 11-3 regular season record given such.

Making the playoffs is doable if season played to win rather than just set up.

Does Albany move back to February, or does Scooby finally get their home game?

I have heard that Albany is definitely pushing for the home game they had scheduled pre-COVID (I may even have a credit on some UAlbany account), but that Syracuse has the leverage and that isn't lost on Albany. Believe Marr has a strong relationship with the Gaits though, and Gait is actually one of UAlbany's sponsors.

I have heard that Albany is definitely pushing for the home game they had scheduled pre-COVID (I may even have a credit on some UAlbany account), but that Syracuse has the leverage and that isn't lost on Albany. Believe Marr has a strong relationship with the Gaits though, and Gait is actually one of UAlbany's sponsors.

As long as they keep the game in April.

Outdoors in Albany in February sucks ass.

Not going to miss the Rutgers game. Their fans are in for a rude awakening. Teams that have to replace entire attack units of super-seniors, who accounted for virtually all offensive production, typically don't just bounce back the next year as if nothing happened. See them falling back to the lower half of the Big Ten and playing them probably won't help RPI all that much.

I think you have to play the best whenever possible. This is a lot better than us starting some sort of softball new team on the schedule like Michigan or something. See where you stand, don't take any sort of loss in RPI, and hey who knows we could have a performance like our UVA games last year, especially since MD currently has a face off issue. Would rather play MD than a second round of UVA or ND like last year.

I think you have to play the best whenever possible. This is a lot better than us starting some sort of softball new team on the schedule like Michigan or something. See where you stand, don't take any sort of loss in RPI, and hey who knows we could have a performance like our UVA games last year, especially since MD currently has a face off issue. Would rather play MD than a second round of UVA or ND like last year.
Agree . Think it is important that our schedule/rpi is challenging because doubt cuse given much margin in selections this year given l1st rd flop ast year. Will have to beat some top teams and be competitive in losses against same.

Agree . Think it is important that our schedule/rpi is challenging because doubt cuse given much margin in selections this year given l1st rd flop ast year. Will have to beat some top teams and be competitive in losses against same.

SU almost always plays a tough schedule but there's a point of going overboard. If the ACC is going with the extra games in conference vs the Tournament again this year I see absolutely no reason to schedule Maryland. I think staying with Rutgers at that point makes more sense. It's one thing to schedule a gauntlet when your a top 3 team it's another when your coming off a disappointing season working in a new coaching staff and are picked to finish last in the ACC. A top RPI is great but it means jack if your under .500 and not tournament eligible. There has to be be a balance of tough games with some mid-level and some cupcakes. This isn't a squad that can play a top 15 team every week.

Last edited:

We need to see if the ACC sticking with last years conf schedule is true, if it is your goign to get a second round of Duke and UNC plus Maryland.

We need to see if the ACC sticking with last years conf schedule is true, if it is your goign to get a second round of Duke and UNC plus Maryland.
Dang I was totally assuming the playing two acc teams twice routine was a one year thing. If not that certainly changes things.

Aren't we back to just 4 conference games and the ACCT?

Last year was a Covid adjustment. B1G didn't play any OOC games.

SU almost always plays a tough schedule but there's a point of going overboard. If the ACC is going with the extra games in conference vs the Tournament again this year I see absolutely no reason to schedule Maryland. I think staying with Rutgers at that point makes more sense. It's one thing to schedule a gauntlet when your a top 3 team it's another when your coming off a disappointing working in a new coaching staff and are picked to finish last in the ACC. A top RPI is great but it means jack if your under .500 and not tournament eligible. There has to be be a balance of tough games with some mid-level and some cupcakes. This isn't a squad that can play a top 15 team every week.
Hear ya. Had felt the same but think fair success and competitiveness vs a schedule with a good rpi is needed this year to make playoffs. Easier said than domne, All four acc will once again be in or near top five those six games alone plus Maryland, JHU n a Ivy

Last year was a Covid adjustment.
No

Last year was a Covid adjustment.

I believe sticking with this past seasons arrangement is under heavy consideration. Don't know if anything has been decided officially yet but have heard its definitely not a lock to go back how it was.

That's friggin stupid. Let's beat each other up so only 2-3 ACC teams make the tournament.
Ivy is back and Big 10 is playing out of conference again...hard not to agree with this

SU almost always plays a tough schedule but there's a point of going overboard. If the ACC is going with the extra games in conference vs the Tournament again this year I see absolutely no reason to schedule Maryland. I think staying with Rutgers at that point makes more sense. It's one thing to schedule a gauntlet when your a top 3 team it's another when your coming off a disappointing season working in a new coaching staff and are picked to finish last in the ACC. A top RPI is great but it means jack if your under .500 and not tournament eligible. There has to be be a balance of tough games with some mid-level and some cupcakes. This isn't a squad that can play a top 15 team every week.
Hear ya JC but believe a schedule with top rpi is in best interests this year..Certainly be a difficult path to playoffs with 6 games agaisnt acc teams that will be in or near top five plus Maryland, JHU and likely Army and a IVY. NCAA took all five acc teams last year to some outcry but Cuse disappointed and now Ivies such as Yale and Cornell are back likely to take 1-2 spots besides some risers looking to place. Gait aint shying from competition , expect few soft games and many where we are clear underdogs

Hear ya JC but believe a schedule with top rpi is in best interests this year..Certainly be a difficult path to playoffs with 6 games agaisnt acc teams that will be in or near top five plus Maryland, JHU and likely Army and a IVY. NCAA took all five acc teams last year to some outcry but Cuse disappointed and now Ivies such as Yale and Cornell are back likely to take 1-2 spots besides some risers looking to place. Gait aint shying from competition , expect few soft games and many where we are clear underdogs

Guess we should wait to see the rest of the schedule before going crazy, but I it just feels like adding Maryland to a schedule that will already include four top 10 teams is really pressing one's luck.

If the six game ACC schedule continues, and SU played UVA and Notre Dame twice last season, does that mean they play UNC and Duke twice in '22? Yikes. If they have a 13 game schedule say, that is half taken up by ACC teams and Maryland. Plus Army is no pushover (see last year), Hopkins should be better, and Albany has been known to give fits. I know the schedule needs to be hard, totally understand, but I am with Jeremy, there has to be a better balance.

Side note, IT it feels like it's been a while since you've posted, good to have you back!

A lot of hand wringing on here no matter how hard or easy the schedule is. So, what would everyone’s ideal schedule be? Not necessarily the order, but the teams.

Should want Maryland. RPI is the name of the game. Understanding that the Terps would make a tough schedule even tougher, still, I think adding them is a net positive for making the NCAAs. If that one game is the difference between being .500 and below, then it was probably going to be an empty trip to the tourney anyway. Petro understood this well and basically gamed the system to ensure Hopkins made the tournament every year. Basically had two guaranteed victories against teams like UMBC and Mount St. Mary's and then trusted that his team could at least go 5-6 against the other 11 to finish 7-6. More often than not he was right. So if he has any input over the schedule I would expect to see the hardest one possible. It could help recruiting too. Kids would rather see you play Maryland than Siena.

A lot of hand wringing on here no matter how hard or easy the schedule is. So, what would everyone’s ideal schedule be? Not necessarily the order, but the teams.
A question for Goldilocks. Real issue is all acc opponents are currently very strong and appear to have present edge whereas Cuse had the edge over two or three of them most years . UNC and ND had fluctuate between good and very good and recall UVA losing 18 consecutive acc games before turning it around. Regardless of acc format, we were playing acc teams a minimum of four times every year but mostly five or six times when in tourney so it's a added game or two agaisnt a top fiveish team. Maryland would certainly be a heavy add on. Respect traditions , always enjoy honoring Army or Navy regardless of outcome. Army likely a top ten this year, schedule them but just not in first game. Ease into season some . Be nice to reinstate local rivalries with Hobart and Cornell. Also rather be playing a more competent foe ie Vermont, Stony Brook and yes even Rutgers than a Sienna, Johns , Bingy Colgate were there is little upside. Understand the reservations on a taxing schedule, they do wear and tear and there is a need to decompress. Certainly wont be a road less travelled this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom