2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings | Syracusefan.com

2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings

When I applied in the late 60s I believe SU sat at no. 42. Not exactly sure what happened that Lehigh, BU, Northeastern, Pepperdine (!) now are ranked higher. Does seem that large state schools have built-in advantages once you get beyond the Ivys.

Cantor killed the ranking. It’s going to take a while to get it back up.
We can’t be more selective in a pandemic.

As long as Newhouse, Maxwell, and Whitman remain elite the school will be fine.

When I applied in the late 60s I believe SU sat at no. 42. Not exactly sure what happened that Lehigh, BU, Northeastern, Pepperdine (!) now are ranked higher. Does seem that large state schools have built-in advantages once you get beyond the Ivys.

My frosh year I believe we were 42 as well (1998-99). When I actually applied, the year before, I think we have been 39.

Basically, we were neck and neck with BC if I remember correctly. I may be off tho.

What happened? Chancy Nancy happened.

She single-handedly torpedoed Syracuse's academic standing. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Funny you should bring up Northeastern. They are a case study. These rankings and obsession with them have been horribly destructive to the national university landscape and likely accounts for a not-insignificant portion of the inflation of tuition seen over the last few decades.

I think when I applied, SU was #1. We're talking party school rankings, right? That's the important one.
You can get a good undergrad education just about anywhere.
In 1969 we were Top Ten in Playboy’s party school rankings; I recall a reference to the Thornden Park water tower. Sadly I think those rankings were discontinued several years later.

17. Cornell
34. Rochester
55. RPI
59. Syracuse
83. Binghamton
93(t). Stony Brook
93(t). UBuffalo
There is way too many garbage majors and departments, the cost is too high, and they can't be selective about filling seats

My perception about say rochester is that everything they offer is pretty good, where SU had a lot of good and a lot of bad

For a school that's not that big, there is too much junk

Last edited:
In 1969 we were Top Ten in Playboy’s party school rankings; I recall a reference to the Thornden Park water tower. Sadly I think those rankings were discontinued several years later.
That's where chip likes to entertain himself

There is way too many garbage majors and departments, the cost is too high, and they can't be selective about filling seats

My perception about say rochester is that everything the offer is pretty good, where SU had a lot of good and a lot of bad

For a school that's not that big, there is too much junk
Ok, you are the new chancellor at SU. Start cutting. Give us your list.

Ok, you are the new chancellor at SU. Start cutting. Give us your list.

Too many Arts and Sciences not focused on Arts and Sciences and the lack of a med school hurts.

As someone who was on campus when Nancy was hired I will say things changed a lot from my freshman year until graduation.

That was an era of huge Campus expansion about a 40% increase in overall cost in tuition and R&B.

I looked up all the ACC schools rankings by US and World report, and the University that I always thought did not fit was Louisville. Here is the list, including ties:

Duke #9, ND #19,UNC #28, WF #28, BC #36, GT #38, FSU #55, Miami #55, SU #59, Pitt #59, Clemson #75,
VT #75, NCS 79 and

Louisville #187

It doesnt matter. I mean really, rankings outside of the best 20-30 schools means nothing. If you can't go to an elite institution, find yourself a school with a militant alumni base or an exclusive program.

And if none of that matters, go to a school were you'll accumulate the least amount of debt.

Last edited: