2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings

It’s called Florida Prepaid and let’s you lock in now at current rates. If you start when your child is young it can be a very good deal.
VA used to have a similar program but it’s close to new enrollees now. Probably got too many. Great deal. Even if your kids went out of state, you could get the equivalent value from in state tuition applied to that other school or your contract rate plus a small rate of return. Obviously a better deal if you go in state, which is the goal of the program.

Honestly, what difference does any of that make?
The real joke is that college is unnecessary for a lot of folks. Trade schools or apprenticeships are the best value of them all. Underwriting federal college loans has created a lot of debt and helped colleges raise prices to insane levels. The ROI isn’t there for most majors. And don’t get me started on the law school (and MBA) scam.

Honestly, what difference does any of that make?

what part? that SU allowed me to go to school b/c they gave me a 25% scholarship to attend? Syracuse gave me literally everything in my life: My wife, a network that got me a job, and lifetime friends. The sports stuff is just the cherry on top.

I just illustrated the fact that I'm an ugly american like the rest of us. Ratings matter, labels matter. Had SU been lower ranked in 1993 I wouldn't have attended. I would have gone to BC, taken out bigger loans to do it and wouldn't know where i'd be today. Maybe better, probably not.

The Northeastern part was just a joke that my brother and I like to have a laugh over.

Bottom line, college matters and these ratings/rankings can be persuasive. I hate that SU took the easy money and opened up the admittance rate.

what part? that SU allowed me to go to school b/c they gave me a 25% scholarship to attend? Syracuse gave me literally everything in my life: My wife, a network that got me a job, and lifetime friends. The sports stuff is just the cherry on top.

I just illustrated the fact that I'm an ugly american like the rest of us. Ratings matter, labels matter. Had SU been lower ranked in 1993 I wouldn't have attended. I would have gone to BC, taken out bigger loans to do it and wouldn't know where i'd be today. Maybe better, probably not.

The Northeastern part was just a joke that my brother and I like to have a laugh over.

Bottom line, college matters and these ratings/rankings can be persuasive. I hate that SU took the easy money and opened up the admittance rate.

I appreciate your position on this and personally, found your personal anecdote interesting as I generally find those kinds of stories interesting. I think the second paragraph above is really what i was responding to. I have no clue what you do, your relative level of success, your income (some people link those things), the opportunities you have had, etc., but I think a lot of people equate rankings to those types of things, and it's really just superficial (which you acknowledge and I always struggle with too).

The overarching point is that you are you, and the differences between Syracuse and BC are probably negligible for someone like you (and for most people).

My personal history: I have always been a good, not great student. I went to a good public high school and took a fairly challenging course load (not the hardest). I'd like to say I underachieved a little, but I recognize my aptitude level is also not elite and I'm just not a "bookworm". I was a recruited athlete and was looked at and applied to schools that i would consider to be reaches (one of which boarders on elite), right-level, and safeties for me. I got into my reaches, i believe mostly due to athletic preference (theoretical SAT and GPA bump). I did not end up going to those schools though. I sometimes get caught up in the vanity of why i didnt go there and what life would have been like had i done so. Then i self-assess and realize I am pretty much right where I would be regardless. I assume that applies to most people, which is why i offered, "what difference does any of that make?" Perhaps i am projecting too much.

Florida has a program for in-state residents that lets you pay I think $30-40k early on. It then covers 4 years tuition and 1 year board at any state school.
A number of states have 529 programs that sorta work like that. They have a scale for how much you have to give to them based on the child's age and whether you want to cover 4 or 5 years of tuition. Once fully paid in, the child gets to go to a state school tuition-free or the family gets a check equal to the in-state tuition if the child goes out-of-state or to a private school.

I appreciate your position on this and personally, found your personal anecdote interesting as I generally find those kinds of stories interesting. I think the second paragraph above is really what i was responding to. I have no clue what you do, your relative level of success, your income (some people link those things), the opportunities you have had, etc., but I think a lot of people equate rankings to those types of things, and it's really just superficial (which you acknowledge and I always struggle with too).

The overarching point is that you are you, and the differences between Syracuse and BC are probably negligible for someone like you (and for most people).

My personal history: I have always been a good, not great student. I went to a good public high school and took a fairly challenging course load (not the hardest). I'd like to say I underachieved a little, but I recognize my aptitude level is also not elite and I'm just not a "bookworm". I was a recruited athlete and was looked at and applied to schools that i would consider to be reaches (one of which boarders on elite), right-level, and safeties for me. I got into my reaches, i believe mostly due to athletic preference (theoretical SAT and GPA bump). I did not end up going to those schools though. I sometimes get caught up in the vanity of why i didnt go there and what life would have been like had i done so. Then i self-assess and realize I am pretty much right where I would be regardless. I assume that applies to most people, which is why i offered, "what difference does any of that make?" Perhaps i am projecting too much.

It's a fair assessment and i think everyone on this board who is a Syracuse grad can be honest with why they went there, what happened elsewhere to open that door, etc. I went to HS w a friend who Syracuse was the only school he ever wanted, was only applying there and came and haad the time of his life. I was envious of him b/c I was never that convinced of anything. My road to Syracuse was because rejection at my dream school (ND) and because they were so generous with financial aid. They allowed me to attend school affordably and to that, i'll be fake angry at the school (with superfluous sports stuff) but always real appreciative of that opportunity.

My life has been completely framed by Syracuse. To be even more personal after first semester I called home completely home sick wanting to transfer back to Boston/BC. My friends were there and the perception was they were having a blast. After second semester I never looked back and had the time of my life at SU.

I think we all wonder if it was right, wrong, etc. College is a funny fork b/c for some it's a very specific decision one can make that can alter their life based on...cosmetic reasons. Syracuse has a good sports program, nice campus, hot chicks, etc. I didn't spend much time rifling through the student/teacher ratio, the course load, etc. But it worked out as well as it could for me b/c I'm happy professionally, personally and leisurely (i get to complain about SU on this board w a smile on my face).

But to full circle it, those ratings did impact me on applying to Syracuse. Just like Big Monday did, the Fiesta Bowl of 1992 and the idea the school had a strange dome in the middle of it.

You're Elimu Nelson! You played on a Final Four team!

Couldn't have done that at BC.

----ing-a right you made a good choice!

You're Elimu Nelson! You played on a Final Four team!

Couldn't have done that at BC.

----ing-a right you made a good choice!
Wait he played at SU?
No chit.

Glad to see you active on here Elimu I appreciate and all the back and forths we have on here.

Interesting perspective here on Chancellor Cantor's tenure and its impact on rankings.

Having spent 15 years of my career in university education, I can assure you the U.S. News ranking is horribly flawed. But, it's the one everybody gloms onto for no particularly good reason except notoriety.

Interesting perspective here on Chancellor Cantor's tenure and its impact on rankings.

If you can get into a selective university, it shows you're smart. If you can graduate from a selective university, it shows you have discipline and can conform. People will pay good money to demonstrate those three traits in an enjoyable way. Cantor tried to accomplish many things but connective corridors and less selective admissions do not help students and alumni to demonstrate their intelligence, discipline, and conformity. I also worry that college administrators are more concerned about appearing to champion diversity without considering whether there are good outcomes for the students on the margins for admissions (often taking on lots of debt to leave without a degree)

There are plenty of ways to learn from good instructors and good books without having to go to SU - they shouldn't kid themselves about being that much better at teaching than anyone else.

Last edited:
What happened? Chancy Nancy happened.

She single-handedly torpedoed Syracuse's academic standing. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Not her fault entirely. We sold the medical school to SUNY. That is the problem. It happened before she took over. Many ratings system average the three category: medical science, engineering science and other science. If we got zero point in medical science, even we got 80 points on the other two category, our average is still only 53, below the passing grade.

"“I am astounded, as always, that the faculty think that the ratings matter,” he told Hoover. “They are supposed to be smart.”"

I'm sorry, I know it's snarky, but that quote is great.

I happen to admire some of what Chancy Nancy did, but SU might not be well served by continuing to be so un-selective. And not in the way most people think.

Higher education is a dying enterprise.

Higher education is a dying enterprise.
Not for those who wish to be considerably more successful (yes, it can be measured many ways) than those who don't avail themselves of same.

Having spent 15 years of my career in university education, I can assure you the U.S. News ranking is horribly flawed. But, it's the one everybody gloms onto for no particularly good reason except notoriety.

Consumer Reports is probably flawed at some level, Amazon reviews certainly are but sometimes it's the best you got. US News and World Report is the best we got to determine one school better than another. Some of the metrics truly matter to people like "how much will I make after I spend a bushel to go here".

I wish college wasn't that binary. It's an incredibly enlightening time for immature aged people to grow into their adulthood. However, it's become a cost basis for a job and how much money you can make. Which can distort alot of things ultimately.