2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 U.S. News & World Report University Rankings

YES! Goodwin Cooke!

That guy put me on a very tough track that ended with me being in a graduate class on international finance and macroeconomics that scared the holy ghost out of me but was one of the best classes I ever took. He always pushed me to challenge myself. No BS, ever.
Amb. Cooke was one of my favorite professors as well.
His story about meeting LBJ and the Pope in the Vatican was legendary.
He was ambassador to the CAR and had fun stories from there.

To be ranked behing FSU and Miami is flat-out embarassing.

Part of that is just a matter of shifts in population and wealth. UF is now #28 on this list with number of applications and alumni donations helping it out. Just ten years ago, it was #58.

My favorite Maxwell prof that I got to have class with (since I never had a class with Amb Cooke) was Peter Marsh. Guy could wax poetic about British history and political economy like he invented it himself. No notes. Could just go and was so passionate and captivating. He made really dense topics so interesting.

I can't believe I'm blanking on his name (I'm having an old man moment, but I'll remember it). The famous story of him was that he once punched Bobby Kennedy, lol (and please don't take that as anything political, I just think it's a funny anecdote).
Not him, definitely not a violent guy in any way. I thought when you posted talking about a Maxwell graduate and UG which I thought it stood for the University of Georgia - duh on my part . The person I know is a Maxwell grad and highly respected professor there.

no matter what your thoughts are on US News, it's not good that we've dropped like a stone in 20-25 years since the school was sniffing the top 40. That was when I decided to come to SU.

BC/Syracuse were neck and neck in the rankings and I selected SU because they gave me money (BC laughed at me). My brother went to Northeastern and I joked with him he was functionally illiterate (he didn't study at all in HS). Now Northeastern is in the top 50. The joke is on me who actually tried to do well in school and realized these rankings move around!

no matter what your thoughts are on US News, it's not good that we've dropped like a stone in 20-25 years since the school was sniffing the top 40. That was when I decided to come to SU.

BC/Syracuse were neck and neck in the rankings and I selected SU because they gave me money (BC laughed at me). My brother went to Northeastern and I joked with him he was functionally illiterate (he didn't study at all in HS). Now Northeastern is in the top 50. The joke is on me who actually tried to do well in school and realized these rankings move around!

Yep, BC was definitely a peer when I was applying. I get that US News isn't the end all / be all. But at the time of me applying, it was not unusual for someone to be applying to SU, BC, BU, UVA, NYU, Cornell.

So much of these rankings have to do with things out of SU's control. It's hard to get worked up about it but I realize that it's easy for me to say since I'm an ex-townie and not an alum. If your school happens to be in a part of the country that has prospered over the past 20-30 years, it's likely that you've moved up in the rankings because that's where the best and brightest want to be. If your school isn't in one of those places, then your rankings may be stagnant or declining. Even Cornell has taken a hit. They used to be in the top 10 and now they're at the end of the top 20.

I’m not completely happy where SU is ranked being as it was well in the top 50 when I was a freshman, but they have reversed the trend since Syverud took over for Cantor. I believe when Nancy left we were in the mid 60’s…

I’m not completely happy where SU is ranked being as it was well in the top 50 when I was a freshman, but they have reversed the trend since Syverud took over for Cantor. I believe when Nancy left we were in the mid 60’s…
School needs a couple of years to be more selective.
If we reduce how many students we accept the number will go up.
Cantor let too many students in to make up for her spending.

SU ceiling is probably in the 40’s.
So 59 gives us a chance to get back towards the top 50.

School needs a couple of years to be more selective.
If we reduce how many students we accept the number will go up.
Cantor let too many students in to make up for her spending.

SU ceiling is probably in the 40’s.
So 59 gives us a chance to get back towards the top 50.

I know that in the early 2010's it was a real thing that the university accepted students based on income too offset other demographics who may have been high achieving academically, but needed a lot of financial aid to be able to afford to attend.

The prime example I can think of is my brother has a wealthy friend who's daughter was accepted to Syracuse, but was rejected by SUNY Oneonta. Nothing against Oneonta grads, but it is not exactly one of the upper end state schools in the State of New York.

Ivy League is overrated. That is all.
Right, it's totally overrated (if you're into making more per year than the average student at every other conference in the USA).

There is way too many garbage majors and departments, the cost is too high, and they can't be selective about filling seats

My perception about say rochester is that everything they offer is pretty good, where SU had a lot of good and a lot of bad

For a school that's not that big, there is too much junk
As some say - one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I also live in Florida. FSU has made a dramatic move in these rankings over the last 5 years. However, UF by far is the most sought-after of the Big 3 for academic minded people, Top 5 Public University in the US!
My daughter is a frosh at FSU. She was accepted to both UF and FSU... SU as well. UF was too close to home, SU costs are insane, Miami is, well, Miami. FL state schools are becoming very competitive in part because of their cost. They attract a lot of smart kids.

There was a study in the WSJ a few years ago. The biggest factors in success in and after college was how engaged you were at school. It didn't matter where you went.

That said, I have a biz partner that is a Harvard/Oxford grad. His contacts are insane. I was kicked out of SUNY Plattsburgh. So I guess where you go doesn't really mean much. Who would think a Harvard guy would work with an OCC/SUNY guy.

Yes I did IR as a minor and had a couple of classes with Amb. Cooke. Amazing professor and never got annoyed with me when I would ramble on in class!

My daughter is a frosh at FSU. She was accepted to both UF and FSU... SU as well. UF was too close to home, SU costs are insane, Miami is, well, Miami. FL state schools are becoming very competitive in part because of their cost. They attract a lot of smart kids.

There was a study in the WSJ a few years ago. The biggest factors in success in and after college was how engaged you were at school. It didn't matter where you went.

That said, I have a biz partner that is a Harvard/Oxford grad. His contacts are insane. I was kicked out of SUNY Plattsburgh. So I guess where you go doesn't really mean much. Who would think a Harvard guy would work with an OCC/SUNY guy.

I applied to FSU bc my mom had residency in Florida. I obviously ended up going to Cuse, but I loved visiting FSU. It would have been so cheap but they didn't have exactly what I wanted to study (which, if I knew then what I know now would not have been as big of a deal) and I was convinced I would have probably enjoyed the social scene way too much.

I know that in the early 2010's it was a real thing that the university accepted students based on income too offset other demographics who may have been high achieving academically, but needed a lot of financial aid to be able to afford to attend.

The prime example I can think of is my brother has a wealthy friend who's daughter was accepted to Syracuse, but was rejected by SUNY Oneonta. Nothing against Oneonta grads, but it is not exactly one of the upper end state schools in the State of New York.

Because SU gets such a low percentage of its revenue from research grants (I don't have the numbers, but they're way out of whack compared to peer institutions), they're highly dependent on this type of student.

Florida has a program for in-state residents that lets you pay I think $30-40k early on. It then covers 4 years tuition and 1 year board at any state school.

Florida has a program for in-state residents that lets you pay I think $30-40k early on. It then covers 4 years tuition and 1 year board at any state school.
In-state costs are very low in FL, as I'm sure they are in other states. She has free tuition due to grades and volunteer activity. Room and board is our only out of pocket cost, along with regular college stuff of course. She even gets free football tix.

It makes a lot of sense. Keep smart kids in state, hopefully they stay here long term.

Last edited:

Honestly, what difference does any of that make?