2022 USMNT Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

so yellow cards carry over to a playoff against a totally different set of teams?

Yes, the way the rule is written, they wouldn't reset until the World Cup. Historically, they have carried over, I haven't heard anything to the contrary this cycle, but haven't really looked into it either.

It's kind of a necessary evil, but they definitely could improve on it.

reyna in open space just flows with the ball..

Do you remember two guys from 10-15 years ago - Kaka and Michael Ballack. Reyna is like ballet with the ball at his feet, and he's getting so much bigger and stronger. I think in a couple years, he's going to be a really physical presence at the top of the pitch or in the attacking end of midfield.

For me, everyone is healthy, this is my USA World Cup starting XI.
Steffen
Dest-Zimmerman-Richards-Robinson
Adams-McKennie-Reyna
Weah-Pepi-Pulisic

I do think the USA has a big issue at striker right now so I think whoever the most in-form of that group is who you go with. If it's MLS guys cool, Josh Sargent stops being crap good, Pefok perhaps. All that is fine. I hope they call up a big 40-player training camp and let things sort out.

For me, everyone is healthy, this is my USA World Cup starting XI.
Steffen
Dest-Zimmerman-Richards-Robinson
Adams-McKennie-Reyna
Weah-Pepi-Pulisic

I do think the USA has a big issue at striker right now so I think whoever the most in-form of that group is who you go with. If it's MLS guys cool, Josh Sargent stops being crap good, Pefok perhaps. All that is fine. I hope they call up a big 40-player training camp and let things sort out.

Steffen was terrible last game out. He had the yips in a home game against Panama. He's not playing enough games with his club to be sharp. Play guys that are playing on their club teams! When Horvath is back and healthy, he's the number 1 for me.

Also, Richards was awful in the last window. That's why he's not there this time, IMO. I think that Walker Zimmerman, Aaron Long, Miles Robinson and John Brooks should be the 4 center backs in the squad. Start whoever is the best matchup, but right now Zimmerman and M. Robinson are the best pair.

No problem with Dest & Robinson at fullbacks. I would add Reggie Cannon and DeAndre Yedlin as the alternates at fullback.

Adams - McKennie - Reyna is an interesting group in a 4-3-3. I think I'd like to see Reyna at the number 10 in a 4-2-3-1, with Pulisic and Weah up front on the wings. Kellyn Acosta and Yunus Musah and De La Torre all ought to be in the squad. any of those guys can play for me. Busio is behind some people, but you also have to keep an eye on his development. He could be a wild card off the bench.

And you know, if one of these strikers doesn't win the job by this summer, we might even consider a front 3 of Pulisic - Weah - Reyna with Weah as the guy in the middle instead of the left wing. He's got some size, and I don't think he's quite as slippery on the right flank and Reyna is.

Steffen was terrible last game out. He had the yips in a home game against Panama. He's not playing enough games with his club to be sharp. Play guys that are playing on their club teams! When Horvath is back and healthy, he's the number 1 for me.

Also, Richards was awful in the last window. That's why he's not there this time, IMO. I think that Walker Zimmerman, Aaron Long, Miles Robinson and John Brooks should be the 4 center backs in the squad. Start whoever is the best matchup, but right now Zimmerman and M. Robinson are the best pair.

No problem with Dest & Robinson at fullbacks. I would add Reggie Cannon and DeAndre Yedlin as the alternates at fullback.

Adams - McKennie - Reyna is an interesting group in a 4-3-3. I think I'd like to see Reyna at the number 10 in a 4-2-3-1, with Pulisic and Weah up front on the wings. Kellyn Acosta and Yunus Musah and De La Torre all ought to be in the squad. any of those guys can play for me. Busio is behind some people, but you also have to keep an eye on his development. He could be a wild card off the bench.

And you know, if one of these strikers doesn't win the job by this summer, we might even consider a front 3 of Pulisic - Weah - Reyna with Weah as the guy in the middle instead of the left wing. He's got some size, and I don't think he's quite as slippery on the right flank and Reyna is.
Turner got signed by Arsenal. He carried the load mostly during WCQ.
If he is healthy he might be 1a at GK.

Steffon had some scary moments against Panama. I actually thought we so played at Mexico he wasn’t much a factor.

If Turner gets healthy and plays more than Steffon at Arsenal he could start a WC match.

Berhalter has done well this window.

Play a smart lineup at Costa Rica if he wants to play aggressive in the first half and then 5 in the back the second half that would be fine.
He needs to protect Pulisic though.

Concacaf teams hunt him for tough fouls.

Yep I would do a false 9 with Reyna over any of our strikers. I think Weah is better as a winger as he has more speed than Reyna. Reyna plays in the middle for Dortmund as well.

It’s crazy that we have a legit 2-deep at every position now… Aaronson, Ferraro, Arriola, Acosta, de la Torre, Busio, Moore/Scally, Long, McKenzie, Bello/Scally, Turner is a heck of a second team

Yep I would do a false 9 with Reyna over any of our strikers. I think Weah is better as a winger as he has more speed than Reyna. Reyna plays in the middle for Dortmund as well.

It’s crazy that we have a legit 2-deep at every position now… Aaronson, Ferraro, Arriola, Acosta, de la Torre, Busio, Moore/Scally, Long, McKenzie, Bello/Scally, Turner is a heck of a second team
Dang forgot about Yedlin.

The biggest weakness on this team is striker and then a distant second is goalie only because none of our main options will be starters for their club team when the tournament rolls around. I’m not convinced Zimmerman has the footspeed to keep up w/ ultra fast strikers but his positional awareness has made up for it so far. I also think Antonee Robinson kills a ton of our attacks with his poor passes and also his turnovers lead to instant opportunities for the other team. He made up for it last night w his offense but in the world cup that is going to burn us.

Can't quibble with this reply. Chris Richards is still injured. I guess all things considered if John Brooks gets back into the squad I would start him at CB with Zimmerman. He's one of the most experienced players in the pool.

Can't quibble with this reply. Chris Richards is still injured. I guess all things considered if John Brooks gets back into the squad I would start him at CB with Zimmerman. He's one of the most experienced players in the pool.

Maybe it was McKenzie who was so bad last time. Richards has a big fan club, but I haven't seen him have a memorable game for the US yet.

ESPN UK article / video about Berhalter. Basically says, yes, there have been plenty of choices to question, but overall he has built a culture and the young guys are developing great chemistry and really like being there at the national team camp. Article seems pretty even-handed to me.

And no, the deal is not done yet. We still have to come out on fire against Costa Rica.

Is the USMNT midfield better without Weston McKennie?
Are you nuts? He's the guts of our midfield. He is this team's Jermaine Jones, but with much more offensive capability going forward.

The premise here is that McKennie is terrific offensively for a midfielder, but they don't think he does anything else.

To me, he is the toughness and soul of the midfield. When someone makes a borderline dirty tackle on Pulisic, he's the first one to come bump chests to protect his bud. You need guys like that on your team to win at the highest level. It doesn't all come down to analytics.

Does Musah play like him? Yes, to an extent, but not quite as well. Musah's a terrific player to have in the squad, and he can fit with lots of guys in our midfield. His forward carries of the ball can sometimes lead to 30-40 yards of real estate, and then a pretty effective pass at the end of the run. McKennie adds the goals that Musah doesn't quite have yet.

Last edited:
I was hoping the squad size would be increased but it looks like it will be 23. Currently I would go:

GK: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Fullbacks: Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Bello
Centerbacks: Zimmerman, Brooks, M. Robinson, Richards
CenterMids: Adams, Musah, Acosta, McKennie, de la Torre
AttackingMids: Reyna, Weah, Pulisic, Aaronson
Forwards: Pepi, Ferreira, cagematch for the 3rd FW spot.

I was hoping the squad size would be increased but it looks like it will be 23. Currently I would go:

GK: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Fullbacks: Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Bello
Centerbacks: Zimmerman, Brooks, M. Robinson, Richards
CenterMids: Adams, Musah, Acosta, McKennie, de la Torre
AttackingMids: Reyna, Weah, Pulisic, Aaronson
Forwards: Pepi, Ferreira, cagematch for the 3rd FW spot.

Interesting -
Bello over Yedlin
Richards over Long, who was a favorite before his injury
No arguments with any of the rest.

We are developing quite a talented young squad, aren't we?
Although the press might downplay it, this team of young guys winning 2 cups last summer in real competition was a great, great experience. Especially since we've missed the last 2 or 3 Olympics, where a lot of these players could have eased their way into the International game.
Winning cultures start with actually winning things.
I'm loving this team right now.

Interesting -
Bello over Yedlin
Richards over Long, who was a favorite before his injury
No arguments with any of the rest.

We are developing quite a talented young squad, aren't we?
Although the press might downplay it, this team of young guys winning 2 cups last summer in real competition was a great, great experience. Especially since we've missed the last 2 or 3 Olympics, where a lot of these players could have eased their way into the International game.
Winning cultures start with actually winning things.
I'm loving this team right now.

I personally would rather 2 true LB's versus pigeonholing Dest into an LB role. Bello has adapted pretty well into a relegation fight with Arminia Bielefeld. Sam Vines is fairly solid with his club in Belgium but i think Bello has a higher ceiling.

I don't want to say I'm anti-MLS because I'm not but taking 3/4 CB's from MLS I don't think is the right move. Long is good but again I think Richards is better than him.

2022 is a good experience for these young guys but it sets up 2026. Hosting, 250 years (!) since the American Revolution. Peak american vibes. 2026 I expect a Quarterfinals run.

Is the USMNT midfield better without Weston McKennie?
Are you nuts? He's the guts of our midfield. He is this team's Jermaine Jones, but with much more offensive capability going forward.

The premise here is that McKennie is terrific offensively for a midfielder, but they don't think he does anything else.

To me, he is the toughness and soul of the midfield. When someone makes a borderline dirty tackle on Pulisic, he's the first one to come bump chests to protect his bud. You need guys like that on your team to win at the highest level. It doesn't all come down to analytics.

Does Musah play like him? Yes, to an extent, but not quite as well. Musah's a terrific player to have in the squad, and he can fit with lots of guys in our midfield. His forward carries of the ball can sometimes lead to 30-40 yards of real estate, and then a pretty effective pass at the end of the run. McKennie adds the goals that Musah doesn't quite have yet.

Whoever wrote that article apparently doesn’t watch the USMNT. Weston is great on D… the problem is going the other way. Weston reminds me a lot of Dele Alli from his Tottenham heyday. Weston is physical, athletics, scores clutch goals without being a goal scorer and loves to carry the ball but doesn’t have the killer pass in him… yet. The problem with Weston is he’s not as good a dmid as Adams or Acosta for that matter so he can’t shield the D, but he’s also not as good going forward was Musah, Reyna or Aaronson. So while he’s one if of our best players his positional fit isn’t quite right.

One main issue with Weston is that he and Pulisic don’t seem to combine well together because both love to dominate the ball and dribble into corners. Now add Dest to the mix and you have three players who love to dominate the ball. Now add Gio to the mix and you have four. Typically when you have these types of players you build the team to make runs off of their on ball play… but when you have 4 dudes who all want to dominate the ball you get we see when all 4 play together, a team of individuals who don’t mix well together. Who is making the runs off the ball vs going back to get the ball?

Whoever wrote that article apparently doesn’t watch the USMNT. Weston is great on D… the problem is going the other way. Weston reminds me a lot of Dele Alli from his Tottenham heyday. Weston is physical, athletics, scores clutch goals without being a goal scorer and loves to carry the ball but doesn’t have the killer pass in him… yet. The problem with Weston is he’s not as good a dmid as Adams or Acosta for that matter so he can’t shield the D, but he’s also not as good going forward was Musah, Reyna or Aaronson. So while he’s one if of our best players his positional fit isn’t quite right.

One main issue with Weston is that he and Pulisic don’t seem to combine well together because both love to dominate the ball and dribble into corners. Now add Dest to the mix and you have three players who love to dominate the ball. Now add Gio to the mix and you have four. Typically when you have these types of players you build the team to make runs off of their on ball play… but when you have 4 dudes who all want to dominate the ball you get we see when all 4 play together, a team of individuals who don’t mix well together. Who is making the runs off the ball vs going back to get the ball?

I think it's more of a positional question (where is the open space?) than it is "selfishness", per se. I've seen these guys combine for some filthy one-two's. I think they all like each other. I don't sense festering "me first-ism" among this squad.

I think it's more of a positional question (where is the open space?) than it is "selfishness", per se. I've seen these guys combine for some filthy one-two's. I think they all like each other. I don't sense festering "me first-ism" among this squad.
Oh totally... this team seems to all get along w/ each other very well which wasn't the case with herr Klinsmann and I think everyone's heart is in the right place. I also think when the ocho first started our euro stars thought they could show up, do some tricks and the other team would walk over... particular Dest and Weston. Through the course the ocho, I think the team has grown and learned a TON and you can see that with the intensity they came out with against Panama and a few other teams.

I still think if we want to play Reyna, Pulisic, Weston and Dest all at the same time, each of them are going to have to sacrifice some of their game to make sure the whole is better than the sum of the parts. So far I haven't seen proof that playing our most talented players leads to the best team.

We're playing with fire. Only a matter of time. Before CR sneaks one in

Been an ugly one. CR basically just taking every U.S. attacker out when their is any real chance yet they won't flash the cards. The crap on Pulisic needs to be carded. Just nothing but malicious intent on a lot of these.

CR is gonna have to commit forward if they want 3 pts. For a team that needs to win by 6 goals they are taking an awfully defensive shape.

Been an ugly one. CR basically just taking every U.S. attacker out when their is any real chance yet they won't flash the cards. The crap on Pulisic needs to be carded. Just nothing but malicious intent on a lot of these.

CR is gonna have to commit forward if they want 3 pts. For a team that needs to win by 6 goals they are taking an awfully defensive shape.
CR conceded to start this match.

They don’t want to get yellows on their guys for New Zealand.
They may get a goal but the USA has been comfortable and getting chances and keeping pressure down.

Costa Rica knows they aren’t getting 6.

CR conceded to start this match.

They don’t want to get yellows on their guys for New Zealand.
They may get a goal but the USA has been comfortable and getting chances and keeping pressure down.

Costa Rica knows they aren’t getting 6.

Yep. Which is why it's such trash it's a foul fest and not a clean one. Need to sub early so we don't add to the injury list.

US could get a couple of their own too. Be nice to just land ahead of El Tri.

Lack luster. To be expected honestly. We need to rattle their cage last 20 minutes

We're playing with fire. Only a matter of time. Before CR sneaks one in
You probably know more about soccer than I do but I didn’t think CR looked very dangerous at any point in the first half. I thought the US offensive third lacked a bit but defense was pretty solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom