2022 World Cup | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

There is definitely a problem with Gio Reyna not seeing any playing time at all in this game v. Iran. Looking at him walk the field at the end of the game, he wasn't talking to anyone, and tellingly no one was talking to him, either. Berhalter seems to be a grudge guy. Can't say I like that.

Tim Weah is the Energizer Bunny.

Kid was all over the field.

He's the reason Reyna isn't playing. Weah has been superb. Berhalter is a little rigid about who he will play at the 9. Personally, I think the best attacking line is Pulisic / Weah and either Aarson or Reyna. I hope Reyna starts against the Dutch.

Last edited:
exactly what you said. I find Netherlands to be a good side but not unbeatable or in the top 5 teams in the tournament, they will be favs but I think tossing some $ on the Americans is a good bet.

The Dutch have a lot of depth and quality among their defensive players (Van Dyke, Ake, DeLicht, DeVrij, Dumfries, Blind). Their midfield has some talent (Frenkie DeJong and Davvy Klassen are good, but we are better in the middle of the pitch), and they have Gakpo and Memphis in attack. I think Rafael Leao is over-rated a bit. Athletic, but inconsistent touch, creates too many turnovers.

I do like the matchup with the Dutch. They are a good side for sure and very difficult to score on but these aren't your RVP Robben Oranje

If we can win, this will be a legendary win. The Dutch still have that aura and history. We are pretty much catching them in the right tournament.

Louis Van Gaal doesn't really have them clicking offensively, but they will be very tough to break down on defense.

The best thing about yesterday is actually getting some of the shots on goal.. EVen the weak headers. Maybe the should work on the power shots being too low instead of 20 ft over the net? Its just like hockey , rebounds are the hardest thing to defend.. Still too many pretty good attacks that didnt really lead to solid chances.

Keep avoiding the gift goal as best they can

And man if Robinson could ever figure out how to soften the first touch, he gets in so many good places athleticly but then loses the ball just as its about to be a dangerous play.,

He's the reason Reyna isn't playing. Weah has been superb. Berhalter is a little rigid about who he will play at the 9. Personally, I think the best attacking line is either Pulisic / Weah and either Aarson or Reyna. I hope Reyna starts against the Dutch.

100 pct agree. I think Reyna is a better fit to start, Pulisic plays but as a sub and hopefully healthy enough to be a problem for 25-30

exactly what you said. I find Netherlands to be a good side but not unbeatable or in the top 5 teams in the tournament, they will be favs but I think tossing some $ on the Americans is a good bet.

They are not an offensive machine anymore but certainly have quality and size defensively. Also they still have great play from the wings. That is something that I'd good for us given we also have quality Herr. I expect it will very much come down to whose backs/wingers can grab ahold of the game and generate chances.

Unpopular opinion but I would bench Yunus Musah to start Reyna vs Netherlands. Musah has been superb but he's running out of gas. I think he's absolutely tired. Bring him on for McKennie at some point in 2nd half. If Pulisic is not fit to start I would go Aaronson. If Sargent isn't fit to start I would opt for Ferreira because for me Haji Wright has been underwhelming.

I also don't want to see Shaq Moore ever again.

The best thing about yesterday is actually getting some of the shots on goal.. EVen the weak headers. Maybe the should work on the power shots being too low instead of 20 ft over the net? Its just like hockey , rebounds are the hardest thing to defend.. Still too many pretty good attacks that didnt really lead to solid chances.

Keep avoiding the gift goal as best they can

And man if Robinson could ever figure out how to soften the first touch, he gets in so many good places athleticly but then loses the ball just as its about to be a dangerous play.,
I was saying this to my brother too. He makes great runs down the wing but blows it with the first touch almost every time.

Happy for the Aussies. Europe has been underwhelming this cycle outside England honestly. France was already through but wouldn't want to be heading into the knockout round with a loss to Tunisia.

Happy for the Aussies. Europe has been underwhelming this cycle outside England honestly. France was already through but wouldn't want to be heading into the knockout round with a loss to Tunisia.
France was resting their best players though right?

Very happy for the Aussies as my wife and her family are from Melbourne. They're so pumped right now. Will be really interesting to see who they face in the next round; Everyone but Mexico in Group C is a possibility for them.

France was resting their best players though right?

Very happy for the Aussies as my wife and her family are from Melbourne. They're so pumped right now. Will be really interesting to see who they face in the next round; Everyone but Mexico in Group C is a possibility for them.

Very cool for your wife and family! Be so cool if U.S. and Australia advanced to play each other.

Yes on France but still thats a deep team on paper plus Mbappe, Greizmann, Rabot and Dembele were all subbed on. France wasn't great in UEFA Nations either.

I was saying this to my brother too. He makes great runs down the wing but blows it with the first touch almost every time.

I disagree. I have seen him and Ream play together at Fulham probably 3 or 4 times this year. His touch was TERRIBLE in the Iran game, but I put that down to fatigue. He was much better with the ball at his feet in the first 2 games.

I was saying to myself in the 2nd half vs. Iran that I would have taken off Jedi instead of Dest, and put Reggie Cannon in there, and tell him to just focus on the defensive side of the game.

I also would have used someone other than Haji Wright at the 9. Reyna needs to see time in this next game, or people are going to be howling for Berhalter's head and accusing him of being boneheaded in his stubbornness (see John Brooks, and no Tim Ream prior to the WC).

I disagree. I have seen him and Ream play together at Fulham probably 3 or 4 times this year. His touch was TERRIBLE in the Iran game, but I put that down to fatigue. He was much better with the ball at his feet in the first 2 games.

I was saying to myself in the 2nd half vs. Iran that I would have taken off Jedi instead of Dest, and put Reggie Cannon in there, and tell him to just focus on the defensive side of the game.

I also would have used someone other than Haji Wright at the 9. Reyna needs to see time in this next game, or people are going to be howling for Berhalter's head and accusing him of being boneheaded in his stubbornness (see John Brooks, and no Tim Ream prior to the WC).
Idk I feel like his first touch stood out in a bad way every game so far. I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing by any means; he's still pulling his weight pretty easily but I feel like if he could just receive the ball a little better we could have had a few more goal scoring opportunities so far. Of course if someone else were in his spot they probably aren't running into those openings to begin with.

As for this upcoming game, if Pulisic and or Sargent can't play, we absolutely have to get Reyna in there. We will need his creativity badly. Seems like GGG maybe doesn't view Reyna as a 9 so wouldn't be surprised if Ferreira gets the start in Sargent's potential absence instead. He must be at least contemplating Ferreira > Haji at this point.

Idk I feel like his first touch stood out in a bad way every game so far. I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing by any means; he's still pulling his weight pretty easily but I feel like if he could just receive the ball a little better we could have had a few more goal scoring opportunities so far. Of course if someone else were in his spot they probably aren't running into those openings to begin with.

So one of the differences too is whether teams try and close on his longer touches. Many games in qualifying they have not and thus it doesn't stand out quite so much. Part of that is about confidence they can win that foot race because with his speed if you gamble and miss you aren't catching him.

Wait. Goal differential trumps head to head in group stage?!! There is no efffing way I’m reading that right. Would be impossible

Argentina could tie Saudi’s in points but advance over them? No way. Would make the whole tourney a joke. I beat you but I go home? I have to be reading it wrong

So I’m right. Which is completely blowing my mind. So Georgia beats Michigan head to head, but Michigan scored more points against Oregon so Michigan moves on over Georgia. Lol.

Mind blown at the incompetence. I hope I’m missing something and it can be explained to me what im missing.

Now part of the logic does stem from say you have a meaningless third game for one side and they have won 4-0 and 3-0 and are through and their opponent comes in having lost a match 1-0 and then won 2-1. The team already through plays their reserves to rest them after dominating and loses that game 1-0.. if H2H is used then there is no advantage for the team already through to have played great in their first two games. I think H2H is better and more competitive but don't see it as that egregious honestly.

Now part of the logic does stem from say you have a meaningless third game for one side and they have won 4-0 and 3-0 and are through and their opponent comes in having lost a match 1-0 and then won 2-1. The team already through plays their reserves to rest them after dominating and loses that game 1-0.. if H2H is used then there is no advantage for the team already through to have played great in their first two games. I think H2H is better and more competitive but don't see it as that egregious honestly.
Very interesting. Good analysis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom