2022 World Cup | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

So, to recap the US's World Cup performance to date:

We just completed an undefeated Group phase. It's probably the first time we've ever done that, I would say almost certainly.

In the 4 groups that have concluded, only England and the Netherlands also went through undefeated, out of 16 teams.

In the remaining 4 groups to be decided, Spain, Brazil and Portugal remain undefeated through 2 of 3 matches.

Croatia and Morocco are also undefeated, but face each other in their final group game, so only Croatia is likely to join the group.

So we are in elevated company with how we've done so far.

Pulisic played a part in both goals we scored. Tim Weah has been great.

We have maybe one of the best 3 or 4 midfields in the World. Tyler Adams will likely be moving to a big club soon. Yunus Musah is going to be a star. Weston McKennie is like having a Jermaine Jones destroyer in midfield who poses a far greater threat going forward, and plays with great spirit.

We have terrific wingers. Trusting defenders who play Premier League or Champions League opposition makes it less likely to have major brain farts on defense, leading to easy goals.

We only gave up 1 goal in 3 World Cup games. It was not even from open play; it was a penalty.

We have a shot stopper in goal. We have generally talented fullbacks, although not a lot of depth at that position.

Last edited:

We just completed an undefeated Group phase. It's probably the first time we've ever done that, I would say almost certainly.

In the 4 groups that have concluded, only England and the Netherlands also went through undefeated, out of 16 teams.

In the remaining 4 groups to be decided, Spain, Brazil and Portugal remain undefeated through 2 of 3 matches.

Croatia and Morocco are also undefeated, but face each other in their final group game, so only Croatia is likely to join the group.

We have maybe one of the best 3 or 4 midfields in the World. Tyler Adams will likely be moving to a big club soon. Yunus Musah is going to be a star. Weston McKennie is like having a Jermaine Jones destroyer in midfield who poses a far greater threat going forward, and plays with great spirit.

We have terrific wingers. Trusting defenders who play Premier League or Champions League opposition makes it less likely to have major brain farts on defense, leading to easy goals.

We only gave up 1 goal in 3 World Cup games. It was not even from open play; it was a penalty.

We have a shot stopper in goal. We have generally talented fullbacks, although not a lot of depth at that position.

We had the same result in 2010 with 2 draws and a win.

Sad to see Canada fall apart so quickly this WC after being so good in WCQ

That’s a wrap for Canada. Statistically one of the weaker teams in the tournament with GD, yet they had so many chances to score but lack the raw talent to do so.

0 points sucks. But in the end it’s about building to 2026.

I was wrong about Croatia v Morocco. I should have looked that up. Croatia tied with Belgium, who are going home. Morocco won, so both of them were undefeated in the group stage, too.

Lukaku with the choke job of the century. As Landon Donovan put it on one of his chances, "it's harder to not score there."
Which chance? Guy had like 4 sitters and muffed them all yikes!

Sad to see Canada fall apart so quickly this WC after being so good in WCQ
Canada was in a very tough group.
Canada blew their chance vs Belgium. That might have changed everything for them.
Canada needs more quality players. They have some, need more (i.e. goalkeeper)
They had some of their best moments vs USA, maybe leading some of us to have a slightly inflated view of them.
They are on the right track as a team.

Canada blew their chance vs Belgium. That might have changed everything for them.
They had some of their best moments vs USA, maybe leading some of us to have a slightly inflated view of them.

Yes, Canada has some good young players. This is going to help them win at least a game in 2026. They will know that it's a step up in class at the WC, compared to qualifiers.

Which chance? Guy had like 4 sitters and muffed them all yikes!
I think the one where he hit it with his body two feet in front of an open goal. Came off him so slowly the goalie had time to go over and grab it. I don't even know how the ball dies enough to not go in there.

Why do the FIFA cameras always pan to people dressed as though they should be on Let's Make A Deal?
I liked the Belgian dude that painted his beard the colors of their flag, that's ok in my opinion. But what's with the American couple dressed like Elvis and the statue of Liberty? Or the Japanese fan dressed like a pokemon character. I guess everyone has their own opinions.
These guys were cool:
2022-11-21t160321z-1990242017-up1eibl18lh24-rtrmadp-3-soccer-worldcup-sen-nld-report_2770329_20221122004807.jpg

These guys were not:
740906db-b8b5-411c-827d-9feaf8e04f54_1126e908.jpg

And these ladies can do whatever they want!
images

Oh no doubt. They will keep growing.

USA under Berhalter has usually been solid defensively. The issue has always been goals
In Qualifying they scored 21 Goals in 14 Matches. You look closer and see they scored 4 goals at Honduras and 5 at home vs Panama. So 9 Goals in 2 Matches, 12 in 12 Matches.

All this is to say the manager has generally created a solid side defensively but has lacked a lot of attacking quality considering the players. They will need to score vs the Dutch.

Why do the FIFA cameras always pan to people dressed as though they should be on Let's Make A Deal?
I liked the Belgian dude that painted his beard the colors of their flag, that's ok in my opinion. But what's with the American couple dressed like Elvis and the statue of Liberty? Or the Japanese fan dressed like a pokemon character. I guess everyone has their own opinions.
These guys were cool:
2022-11-21t160321z-1990242017-up1eibl18lh24-rtrmadp-3-soccer-worldcup-sen-nld-report_2770329_20221122004807.jpg

These guys were not:
740906db-b8b5-411c-827d-9feaf8e04f54_1126e908.jpg

And these ladies can do whatever they want!
images
Ukrainian girl on the right is now married to our (born there) best player Zinchenko lol

USA under Berhalter has usually been solid defensively. The issue has always been goals
In Qualifying they scored 21 Goals in 14 Matches. You look closer and see they scored 4 goals at Honduras and 5 at home vs Panama. So 9 Goals in 2 Matches, 12 in 12 Matches.

All this is to say the manager has generally created a solid side defensively but has lacked a lot of attacking quality considering the players. They will need to score vs the Dutch.

In fairness, I don't think we've seen Pulisic, Weah and Reyna for even 90 minutes together yet. That's where all the attacking talent lies.

A little turn of events with Japan leading Spain and Costa Rica now tied with Germany after missing a big opportunity towards the end of the 1st half.

In fairness, I don't think we've seen Pulisic, Weah and Reyna for even 90 minutes together yet. That's where all the attacking talent lies.
Don't think we'll see Reyna going 90 with anyone this tournament sadly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom