2022 World Cup | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

I think Mexico Poland right now are at the 7th tiebreak. Which would be FairPlay system. Whoa

So I’m right. Which is completely blowing my mind. So Georgia beats Michigan head to head, but Michigan scored more points against Oregon so Michigan moves on over Georgia. Lol.

Mind blown at the incompetence. I hope I’m missing something and it can be explained to me what im missing.
Right now Mexico is behind Poland because of “fair play record” now that’s hilarious

Right now Mexico is behind Poland because of “fair play record” now that’s hilarious
Haha. Well it is the 7th tiebreaker…. I just read if FairPlay is tied they flip a coin. But Poland is way up on FairPlay

Now part of the logic does stem from say you have a meaningless third game for one side and they have won 4-0 and 3-0 and are through and their opponent comes in having lost a match 1-0 and then won 2-1. The team already through plays their reserves to rest them after dominating and loses that game 1-0.. if H2H is used then there is no advantage for the team already through to have played great in their first two games. I think H2H is better and more competitive but don't see it as that egregious honestly.
In a short form tournament like this , head to head would remove tons of drama and render many matches meaningless

In a short form tournament like this , head to head would remove tons of drama and render many matches meaningless
It’s starting to make more sense to me. Thanks for you guys explaining it. I’m still such a fan of using HTH whenever possible in sports

It’s starting to make more sense to me. Thanks for you guys explaining it. I’m still such a fan of using HTH whenever possible in sports
There would also be a lot of 3 way ties with the old “I beat you , but you beat him, and he beat me” which would throw out head to head

That was my point regarding the third match in said scenario. It's still imperfect but biggest thing is the third game

If we beat Holland we play Messi !!

Yes, I’m getting wildly ahead of myself.

What bs. Mexico deserved to advance but stupid fair play tie break lead them to have to take too many risks

What bs. Mexico deserved to advance but stupid fair play tie break lead them to have to take too many risks

Mexico and their fans have been an embarrassment in their behavior in concacaf and they played their way into this mess. If not for a chaotic crazy Saudi team consistently exposing their defense they would have had no shot. Also they got a friendly group all things considered and still failed to qualify.

Mexico and their fans have been an embarrassment in their behavior in concacaf and they played their way into this mess. If not for a chaotic crazy Saudi team consistently exposing their defense they would have had no shot. Also they got a friendly group all things considered and still failed to qualify.
but that chant is misconstrued ! ( I kid)

Why did they deserve it more than the Poland team they were tied with across the board?

Yeah or an offense even more challenged than the U.S. attack. They've not shown ability to break down a good defense in what seems forever.

The best thing about yesterday is actually getting some of the shots on goal.. EVen the weak headers. Maybe the should work on the power shots being too low instead of 20 ft over the net? Its just like hockey , rebounds are the hardest thing to defend.. Still too many pretty good attacks that didnt really lead to solid chances.

Keep avoiding the gift goal as best they can

And man if Robinson could ever figure out how to soften the first touch, he gets in so many good places athleticly but then loses the ball just as its about to be a dangerous play.,

The issue with blazing shots over is this. You always hear commentators talking about "the player was leaning back" and "you have to be over the ball when you strike it to keep it down".

But the challenge is that players are often running at full gallop, and are stretching to reach that ball to hit it, before the defender closes the window to get the shot off.

It's not just a matter of "well, he should do better". If it were that easy, every team would score 5 or 10 goals every game.

The issue with blazing shots over is this. You always hear commentators talking about "the player was leaning back" and "you have to be over the ball when you strike it to keep it down".

But the challenge is that players are often running at full gallop, and are stretching to reach that ball to hit it, before the defender closes the window to get the shot off.

It's not just a matter of "well, he should do better". If it were that easy, every team would score 5 or 10 goals every game.

Yeah most don't realize how difficult it is to do straight on. Even with a quick move when you are trying to go around you really still want to hit it with your instep otherwise it's more likely to sail. Far easier to get over it with a volley on a cross or passing it in.

I get that part of not being that easy. On the other hand they are also the top players in the world and hitting it 20ft over the net on 75% of the shots seems like something they could do better on..

I get that part of not being that easy. On the other hand they are also the top players in the world and hitting it 20ft over the net on 75% of the shots seems like something they could do better on..

Let's put it this way, compare it to shooting 3 point shots in practice, versus having someone really good trying like hell to stop you in a real game, where you play a lot more physical than you ever do in practice. That's why.

There's defense, there's weather conditions, wet playing surfaces, general fatigue in a sport where you run for about 3 miles in each 45 minute half with no timeouts. Soccer is like a boxing match. Teams and players wear each other down.

It's no accident that a disproportionate percentage of goals are scored at the end of each half. People are punch-drunk tired and make mental mistakes. When goals happen, it's kind of like a miracle. It's always a special moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom