2022 World Cup | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

the US needed to let Dest and Weah run the offense more., they ran circles around the guys manup vs them. But the reality is much like basketball if you can man guys in in soccer and teams cnat beat you that way 1-1 its tough to do much.

Reyna is probably the one guy I would like to see more cause he does beat his man. But it wasnt for lack of chances.. its just the normal fall asleep plays on D that we seem to get in bad moments. The 3rd goal is all on Dest marking the guy. We did a great job of stopping the ball all day just a bad job of a couple times marking off the ball.. the Dutch dont make those mistakes and when they do we just dont control the touch when we need to.. Even the give away late Wright kicked it away from an easy goal.

Good lord England let's go here. Cisse knows what he is doing and England is lucky to be level still.

England lucky to not give up any goals, then just buries the Senegalese with two quick strikes

Eerily similar to what the Dutch did to us.
Not a coincidence. Both those teams have tons of big game experience for club and country. Plus the knockout phase is a whole different level of intensity. This is where the big boys really turn it on. You see it in cup after cup. There is a reason that only 8 teams have ever won it and only 13 have ever appeared in a final. And Uruguay last won and appeared in a final in 1950; Czechslovakia in 62; Hungary in '54 and Sweden in '58.

Since 1970, the other 7 World Cup Winners (Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Argentina and England) have occupied 22 of the 26 available slots in the final (Netherlands in 74 and 78 and 2010; Croatia in 2018)

It does show how well we played against England. To keep a clean sheet against all that attacking talent was a feat.

LOL...Actually England hasn't been in a final since 66 so 6 teams have occupied 22 of 26 slots; 7 teams have occupied 25 of 26.

Last edited:
Not a coincidence. Both those teams have tons of big game experience for club and country. Plus the knockout phase is a whole different level of intensity. This is where the big boys really turn it on. You see it in cup after cup. There is a reason that only 8 teams have ever won it and only 13 have ever appeared in a final. And Uruguay last won and appeared in a final in 1950; Czechslovakia in 62; Hungary in '54 and Sweden in '58.

Since 1970, the other 7 World Cup Winners (Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Argentina and England) have occupied 22 of the 26 available slots in the final (Netherlands in 74 and 78 and 2010; Croatia in 2018)

It does show how well we played against England. To keep a clean sheet against all that attacking talent was a feat.

Yep. Took England a bit long to wake up. That Pickford save was awesome though. The reaction time reaching out with his left hand against his own momentum was just a work of art.

Adrian Rabiot has been great for France, an x-factor in the midfield and ball circulation. He seems like he's everywhere vs. Poland. He's a free agent this summer and is looking for $10M/year salary. With no transfer fee, that's not a bad deal. If Chelsea sign him, they can let both Jorginho and N'Golo Kante walk. Re-signing either of them would be paying for past performance.

Really happy for Olivier Giroud to beat Henry's career record. He's already won the World Cup, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, and so many more trophies. Capper to a great career!

France is going to work over England. England plays too passive and conservative for long stretches. France will dominate their middies and D. Shaw and McGuire are about to become scapegoats.

As of right now, France is looking the best to me. (I picked the score vs. Poland!). Brazil has lots of injuries. I think England is playing too slow and deliberate.

Argentina is "getting by" more than dominating, in my opinion. They still have another gear though, even if Devin Nunez had the freaking nerve to be born in another country! LOL

I could see the Netherlands giving them trouble. They'd better not fall behind them. Louis Van Gaal is a great coach at setting defensive traps. "Top Teams" at this level worry about playing their own game; they don't often think about adapting too much to the opponent. It's hard to do in knock out tournaments (just like preparing for the zone in the NCAA's ...).

But Louis Van Gaal beat the US so easily precisely by avoiding our midfield. He called them a "demolition derby" in one interview, with the way they bust up opponents' attacking play. So he let us hold more of the ball, and waited to turn us over and pass through our midfield on the counter. The 4th game in about 12 days finally wore out our guys legs' and with it, their concentration. Runners simply got away from our defense. We didn't track people with the same energy we did in earlier rounds. We were too tired to continue to perform at that level.

Van Gaal may try to do the same thing to Argentina. But Argentina has a really good defense, at least on paper. Christian Romero, Nicholas Otamendi and Lisandro Martinez on the back line. Emi Martinez is a top notch goalie, but HAS allowed 3 goals in 4 games. Small margins, with Argentina playing from behind and giving up almost a goal a game. Give Holland an early lead, and they might shut it down. LVG was the one who taught "park the bus" to Jose Mourinho.

Last edited:
France toyed with them.

Once my teams are out, I want it to go chalk...

Would be phenomenal games all the way to the end...

RIght now, I'm feeling Netherlands v. Brazil in one semi, and France v. Spain in the other.

Thank goodness! FIFA may rethink the idiotic 3 team group proposal for 2022 - because if 1 team isn't playing on the last day, the other 2 teams could collude on the result to eliminate the other team. And it only took them SIX YEARS to realize this!

I always wonder why soccer with guys who are running around for 90 min can go to a 30 min extra period but a sport like hockey/Lax goes to a short sudden death format?

I always wonder why soccer with guys who are running around for 90 min can go to a 30 min extra period but a sport like hockey/Lax goes to a short sudden death format?

Certainly there are different schools of thought but part is that tired legs can result in a fluke goal so this is better in terms of fair play. Sudden death is harsh. Never was a golden goal fan because of that as a fan or player.

I wonder what the numbers say in a WC. how many get decided in extra vs shootouts and how long the goals take.

Yikes-they should stop this Brazil South Korea match at half.

I think Switzerland/Portugal will be exciting game. Knockout round can use some excitement, Japan Croatia was a snoozer til penalties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom