2022 World Cup | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

Saw the second half of Morocco vs Spain at lunch. Good game, both sides talented and well coached. Spain controlled the ball most of the half but Morocco probably had the better chances on counter attacks.

Going to overtime...

the Spain PKs were all so weak attempts.. Its interesting to see how few guys trust themselves to actually make solid kicks in the upper half.

They lack the confidence they had with Xavi, Silva, Ramos and Torres. A much more timid group.

I love how people are going to say Portugal or Switzerland will be lucky cuz they get to face Morocco. I’m pretty sure that’s what people told Spain.

That was awesome. Bono had the Spanish PK takers rattled. Love it.
Syracuse had a terrific keeper named Bono, who played HS ball at Baldwinsville. Ended up an AA for us. Last I knew, he was still playing in the MLS for Toronto.

He even got some interested from the USMNT. Think he got called into a couple of camps.

Maybe they are very very distant cousins.

I love how people are going to say Portugal or Switzerland will be lucky cuz they get to face Morocco. I’m pretty sure that’s what people told Spain.

They are playing extremely well and basically will have the crowd in every match. I wouldn't want that matchup

They are playing extremely well and basically will have the crowd in every match. I wouldn't want that matchup
Yeah that stadium was bonkers today. Can’t wait to watch them play again

The Swiss must have been slammed by the sickness going around. Portugal has been good but the Swiss are like zombies out there

Orangezoo, IthacaMatt, and Forza Azzurri What are your thoughts and predictions on France v England?

I have to think France is going to win. They have better athletes all over the field. Much quicker team. England's defense with Harry McGuire, Shaw and Declan Rice on the left side of their defense is going to get over-run.

England have speed in attack with Rashford, Saka and Sterling, but Sterling probably won't be back, and even if he is, he's played like crap for 3 months. France's defense (Kounde, Varane, Upemecano, with Tchouameni and Camavinga in central/holding MF) is way more than athletic enough to keep up with Rashford and Kane.

I have to think France is going to win. They have better athletes all over the field. Much quicker team. England's defense with Harry McGuire, Shaw and Declan Rice on the left side of their defense is going to get over-run.

England have speed in attack with Rashford, Saka and Sterling, but Sterling probably won't be back, and even if he is, he's played like crap for 3 months. France's defense (Kounde, Varane, Upemecano, with Tchouameni and Camavinga in central/holding MF) is way more than athletic enough to keep up with Rashford and Kane.

Will they try and move Walker over is what I wonder tbh. I think England still has a good shot and I like the matchup if they don't get too stretched too early.

This is a statement game for England. France is at the top of their game as the defending Champs and England is loaded with attacking talent. I've got it as a toss up that will be highly dependent on who breaks through first.

Will they try and move Walker over is what I wonder tbh. I think England still has a good shot and I like the matchup if they don't get too stretched too early.

This is a statement game for England. France is at the top of their game as the defending Champs and England is loaded with attacking talent. I've got it as a toss up that will be highly dependent on who breaks through first.

I agree that England has played well enough in their last 2 tournaments that you shouldn't overlook them. But they have not impressed me, to be honest, and as a team, except for the opening game butt-kicking of Iran, they haven't won a competitive match with a Top 50 FIFA team since September 2021. They got relegated from the big boy table of UEFA Nations League. We held them to a draw, and frankly, we should have won. I see France winning 3-1.

I agree that England has played well enough in their last 2 tournaments that you shouldn't overlook them. But they have not impressed me, to be honest, and as a team, except for the opening game butt-kicking of Iran, they haven't won a competitive match with a Top 50 FIFA team since September 2021. They got relegated from the big boy table of UEFA Nations League. We held them to a draw, and frankly, we should have won. I see France winning 3-1.

Yeah- I mean for sure they haven't set the world on fire. This is a match though where tactics will play their role but honestly it's just going to be who can execute. Mbappe is going to the be the most dangerous player on the pitch sure but its still to me going to be down to who breaks through first. I've got France 2-1.

Yeah- I mean for sure they haven't set the world on fire. This is a match though where tactics will play their role but honestly it's just going to be who can execute. Mbappe is going to the be the most dangerous player on the pitch sure but its still to me going to be down to who breaks through first. I've got France 2-1.

Yes, you're right; tactics matter a lot. Southgate will hopefully have them set up to defend well. But I think the lack of pace in the England defense is going to make them play a bit deeper, a bit slower and a bit more methodically.

On the right flank of their defense, I think that if they had Reece James, they would have a fair chance of neutralizing Mbappe's raids down the wing. I think Ben Chilwell also would have been better equipped than Shaw at the left back spot. Without those 2 Chelsea wingbacks / fullbacks, I think England suffers a bit defensively.

France misses Pogba and Kante in their midfield, but Rabiot has been really good. I think France is going to have more control of the ball, but if England have a possession advantage, I think it's going to be a bit sterile and in their own end. I don't think that they have that guy in midfield who opens locks - maybe Mason Mount, maybe Grealish (but I see him more as a guy who buys fouls, rather than making the great assist). Foden is a winger. Who is going to direct the attack from England's midfield and open up an agile French defense?

Yes, you're right; tactics matter a lot. Southgate will hopefully have them set up to defend well. But I think the lack of pace in the England defense is going to make them play a bit deeper, a bit slower and a bit more methodically.

On the right flank of their defense, I think that if they had Reece James, they would have a fair chance of neutralizing Mbappe's raids down the wing. I think Ben Chilwell also would have been better equipped than Shaw at the left back spot. Without those 2 Chelsea wingbacks / fullbacks, I think England suffers a bit defensively.

France misses Pogba and Kante in their midfield, but Rabiot has been really good. I think France is going to have more control of the ball, but if England have a possession advantage, I think it's going to be a bit sterile and in their own end. I don't think that they have that guy in midfield who opens locks - maybe Mason Mount, maybe Grealish (but I see him more as a guy who buys fouls, rather than making the great assist). Foden is a winger. Who is going to direct the attack from England's midfield and open up an agile French defense?

I think they will need vintage Kyle Walker putting pressure on the French wings forcing them to defend for one. I do like Mount over Grealish, but Kane also needs to be more involved and not just holding things up. They can't be forced to wait for the attack against this French team they need to have more pace on the attack. The U.S. made life hell for their midfield after the first 20. Part of that is they simply take too long in the final third. It's going to be a chess match and I agree a more defensive shape is a better play however they must put pressure on the French to defend wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom