2022 World Cup | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

So I don't think Reyna is 100 pct. I watched him labor at times. He was good in small segments with his vision but looked very sluggish.

Yeah, I didn't see a lot of quickness or pressing out of him in either appearance.

Agreed that they played a lot of minutes. But let's not excuse poor defending. Also, we don't really have quality depth at any position though... unlike the soccer world powers.

It all comes back to the Wales match. If we don't give up that penalty and win that match... then we don't have to make Iran such a difficult one... and hence, rest some players going into the knockouts.

Fatigue is the major reason for defensive lapses. If we had been able to rotate some of those guys out after 60-75 minutes in the earlier rounds like we did with McKennie, who was recovering from muscle injury, we would have looked better today vs. Holland and made fewer defensive mistakes. We need more quality depth. But these young guys did really well, in my book.

Fatigue is the major reason for defensive lapses. If we had been able to rotate some of those guys out after 60-75 minutes in the earlier rounds like we did with McKennie, who was recovering from muscle injury, we would have looked better today vs. Holland and made fewer defensive mistakes. We need more quality depth. But these young guys did really well, in my book.
Fatigue played it's part, sure. I'd probably give Adams a pass on tracking back on the first one with Memphis, but I bet he beat himself up on it after watching the match back. Our captain has probably logged the most miles in the WC. Should we have rotated more players? Sure. That's on Berhalter. That and not having the quality depth like I said. Dest lost his mark on the second one. He does well getting forward but sometimes forgets that he is a defender first. Jedi was out of position on the 3rd goal, plain and simple. Reams and Turner both new it too.

2nd youngest team in the World Cup. 1st youngest that was left until today's result. Good overall performance and still could have been better. Future is bright. Excited for the next one...

All things considered, Berhalter did what he was supposed to do.
1. He created an entire new team out of relative youngsters.
2. They played just as well as the last generation of players who were replaced.
3. They qualified for the World Cup
4. They got out of the Group Stage
5. They got good respect from the world press, especially for the midfield, which is young and dynamic, and could be among the very best in 2026.
6. They play a pressing, progressive game in the modern style. Not much "bunker and counter" from the US. We are good enough to possess the ball for long periods, dangerously, against great teams like England and the Netherlands.

This team is heading the right direction. We need more depth at fullback and at the 9. We need to bring in more quality depth for the defense and midfield. Our wingers are terrific.
Great post. Agree with all of it.

Also need more quality depth in midfield. Still too much of a drop-off after Musah, McKennie and Adams. Aaronson will continue to get better. Need a couple more.

So, Berhalter got them back to where they are supposed to be. The question now is, can he be the guy to take them to the next level?

Part of that is out of his control. Does the existing talent continue to grow and mature? Does the pipeline produce some new talent in areas we we need it?

But a big part of that is also going to be on him.

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure anyone does. He has certainly done enough to warrant retaining the job but the question US soccer needs to be asking itself is whether this guy is the next Mancini, Conte or Low? Because that is the type of coach you will need to make a serious run in '26. We now know that we are on the fringes of having the enough talent and depth of talent to compete consistently with the top 10-15 teams in the world. We need a coach to continue to harness and develop it.

Another great post. Agree 100%.

No TV timeouts in soccer to regroup.

So I don't think Reyna is 100 pct. I watched him labor at times. He was good in small segments with his vision but looked very sluggish.
Agreed. if not hurt, just lots of rust. Guy has been hurt so much he just hasn't played much.

He certainly was not a difference-maker today.

Losing Robinson to injury was massive. Especially on set pieces.
Other than Wales, I thought set piece delivery was good throughout. Other than McKennie, we just don't have guys that attack the ball in the offensive box in the air.

The team we need to emulate offensively is Argentina.

Ever notice that there is no such thing as a hopeful cross into the box from them. Balls from out wide into the box are either early balls, usually on a counter or from a guy getting to the touchline, many times close, or inside, the box. Their goal is to probe and to probe and to create a mismatch somewhere to get Messi the ball at the top of box.

We obviously don't have a Messi but scoring off of long, high balls from wide into the box is, currently, something we are not good at.

Of course, this is much easier said than done. You need all your attacking players, including your fullbacks to all have close control and be able to play those quick little one-twos. We are almost there, just need to get better at it and also have better defined ways of creating those mismatches. We do do it, but not consistently.

Other than Wales, I thought set piece delivery was good throughout. Other than McKennie, we just don't have guys that attack the ball in the offensive box in the air.

Ever notice that there is no such thing as a hopeful cross into the box from them. Balls from out wide into the box are either early balls, usually on a counter or from a guy getting to the touchline, many times close, or inside, the box. Their goal is to probe and to probe and to create a mismatch somewhere to get Messi the ball at the top of box.

We obviously don't have a Messi but scoring off of long, high balls from wide into the box is, currently, something we are not good at.

Of course, this is much easier said than done. You need all your attacking players, including your fullbacks to all have close control and be able to play those quick little one-twos. We are almost there, just need to get better at it and also have better defined ways of creating those mismatches. We do do it, but not consistently.
BTW, not to reply to myself but, Australia reminded me of every US World Cup team that made it to the knockout rounds prior to this World Cup.

Work really, really hard all over the field and, at times, make life difficult for top opponenets but never really look like a team that is really going to go anywhere without a bunch of breaks.

Yep that was where my comment on Robinson was from coming from. He showed the ability and athleticism to be a threat in the air on those far post runs in the box. I mean even when Brooks was in form he had scored there and historically we have always been a threat on set pieces even with less talent. We need that back and I do think Miles is the guy.

We also desperately need to find finishers somehow. Today we should have put 3 in the back of the net. The Dutch left a lot of chances out there as they tired as well and we simply have no one who can consistently put them home.

If we played 4-2-3-1, we could still play Musah and Adams as the double pivot, with Musah being the one to carry the ball forward. McKennie or Aaronson could play forward in the number 10 position, but I would put Reyna there, with Pulisic and Weah on the wings, and a shiny new number 9.
Under that scenario, McKennie is odd man out. No way. No how. McKennie, Musah and Adams all have to be on the field.

Yep that was where my comment on Robinson was from coming from. He showed the ability and athleticism to be a threat in the air on those far post runs in the box. I mean even when Brooks was in form he had scored there and historically we have always been a threat on set pieces even with less talent. We need that back and I do think Miles is the guy.

We also desperately need to find finishers somehow. Today we should have put 3 in the back of the net. The Dutch left a lot of chances out there as they tired as well and we simply have no one who can consistently put them home.
Yes, I agree. Hard to really be a top, top team without a great goal scorer. England has Kane. france has Mbappe. Brazil has Neymar. Argentina has Messi. We can argue about whether, or not Ronaldo can still get it done.

Teams that come the closest right now are Italy and Spain. Italian 9s are imply sub-par and, even with all that midfield and wing talent, they have had trouble scoring - a big reason whyn they are home and not in Qatar.

Spain compensates for its lack of a finisher by just slicing and dicing opponents and creating myriad chances but even they run into issues once they hit rarified air.

The only answer, unfortunately, is to create more dangerous chances.

Agreed that they played a lot of minutes. But let's not excuse poor defending. Also, we don't really have quality depth at any position though... unlike the soccer world powers.

It all comes back to the Wales match. If we don't give up that penalty and win that match... then we don't have to make Iran such a difficult one... and hence, rest some players going into the knockouts.
That actually is not true.

We beat Wales, we go into Iran still needing a result. England had 4; we would have had 4 and Iran had 3.

Qualification was not guaranteed so cannot rest anyone under that scenario.

Good luck finding goals then.
Please educate me on how the 4-2-3-1 produces all these additional goals that the current 4-3-3 cannot.

Be detailed and be specific.

Who plays where and, as a consequence, what will we be able to differently out of that formation that we cannot do out of a 4-3-3 that will create all these additional chances and goals?

Please educate me on how the 4-2-3-1 produces all these additional goals that the current 4-3-3 cannot.

Who plays where and, as a consequence, what will we be able to differently out of that formation that we cannot do out of a 4-3-3 that will create all these additional chances and goals?

Yeah it's not the 4-3-3. Not going to rehash as it's all been shared in this thread today.

I must say though watching today I was both pained and encouraged. I do think though the more experienced manager for the Dutch was smart to play for the counter and keep a slightly more defensive shape. It's a good tactic in this setting. Berhalter had them just going for it and got them way too stretched early on which made the first goal far too easy for a side of the quality the Dutch has. It's akin to recognizing you need to shift tactics a bit in any tourney setting vs group games. It felt to me like Greg had the wrong mindset here. We have the quality in the midfield to play a boring game and keep possession without getting stretched out for 60 minutes and then pick things up and aim to attack a more tired defense.

That gives us a 2nd scoring option in the middle of the field, and 4 overall. Unless there is a 15 year old striker in the youth system that blows up in the next 3 years, we cannot score with only 3 guys.

The other option is to hunker down and become a counter attacking team. In 4 years if we go at it with the same group of attackers in the same manner, we will struggle to get out of the group. We had 2 beautiful goals and one fluke goal in 4 matches. Not going to cut it.

That actually is not true.

We beat Wales, we go into Iran still needing a result. England had 4; we would have had 4 and Iran had 3.

Qualification was not guaranteed so cannot rest anyone under that scenario.
Correct. But with the Wales result.. we made it more difficult, more pressure, more minutes for the starting side, etc. imo. May have been poorly worded on my party. We're all on the same team here. Either way.. quality depth was an issue and not having a dominate 9 up top to score.

That gives us a 2nd scoring option in the middle of the field, and 4 overall. Unless there is a 15 year old striker in the youth system that blows up in the next 3 years, we cannot score with only 3 guys.

The other option is to hunker down and become a counter attacking team. In 4 years if we go at it with the same group of attackers in the same manner, we will struggle to get out of the group. We had 2 beautiful goals and one fluke goal in 4 matches. Not going to cut it.
Paxten Aaronson? Dante Sealy?

Last edited:

Not really sure it gives us a second scoring option. It may in specific match ups but in say a matchup like today it would have not helped us any.

We really need to focus on finding a 9. It's not inconceivable that Sargeant can be that guy but he needs to be out there as the 9 for every match we put our A team out there over the next couple years to establish whether he is the guy while we hunt for more. It's also not inconceivable someone emerges too. If that happens though we can't be experimenting and whoever is coaching must be deliberate in establishing a core side and system that has as many matches together as possible.

Last edited:
Here are some of the core guys from this cycle plus some potential additions with their ages in Summer 2026... (if I did my math correctly, lol)
Christian Pulisic (27)
Tyler Adams (26)
Gio Reyna (23)
Weston McKennie (27)
Yunus Musah (23)
Sergino Dest (25)
Tim Weah (26)
Brenden Aaronson (25)
Josh Sargent (26)
Chris Richards (26)
Antonee Robinson (28)
Joe Scally (23)
Cameron Carter-Vickers (28)
Miles Robinson (29)
Daryl Dike (25)
Ricardo Pepi (23)
Paxten Aaronson (22)

We have some good youth in the pipeline too that I didn't include above. We should have some more young bucks ready to get called up.

Hopefully a striker like Folarin Balogun chooses the USMNT (and not England or Nigeria) and a midfielder like Malik Tillman (and not Germany).

Yeah it's not the 4-3-3. Not going to rehash as it's all been shared in this thread today.

I must say though watching today I was both pained and encouraged. I do think though the more experienced manager for the Dutch was smart to play for the counter and keep a slightly more defensive shape. It's a good tactic in this setting. Berhalter had them just going for it and got them way too stretched early on which made the first goal far too easy for a side of the quality the Dutch has. It's akin to recognizing you need to shift tactics a bit in any tourney setting vs group games. It felt to me like Greg had the wrong mindset here. We have the quality in the midfield to play a boring game and keep possession without getting stretched out for 60 minutes and then pick things up and aim to attack a more tired defense.
I think he knew we had to win the game, ie. at least be ahead by the 60th minute. That is about all the guys could give.

Dest, Robinson, McKennie and Musah were all gassed by halftime. Pulisic was not 100%. Looked like Reyna wasn't either.

And there wasn't anybody on the bench who was going to come in and change the game.

So, I did not have a problem with going for it.

I think this is also where our inexperience showed. As a team, we don't really have a good understanding of how to turn it on and off. It seems we either go full throttle or bunker up. We have the skill but not the tactical nous to turn it on and then throttle down. That will come with age and experience as guys like Adams, McKennie, Musah mature (I hope). You watch more experienced, high-quality sides, like the Dutch, they don't play at the same tempo all game long. They throttle up and then throttle back depending upon gametime, score, situation etc...

I think he knew we had to win the game, ie. at least be ahead by the 60th minute. That is about all the guys could give.

Dest, Robinson, McKennie and Musah were all gassed by halftime. Pulisic was not 100%. Looked like Reyna wasn't either.

And there wasn't anybody on the bench who was going to come in and change the game.

So, I did not have a problem with going for it.

I think this is also where our inexperience showed. As a team, we don't really have a good understanding of how to turn it on and off. It seems we either go full throttle or bunker up. We have the skill but not the tactical nous to turn it on and then throttle down. That will come with age and experience as guys like Adams, McKennie, Musah mature (I hope). You watch more experienced, high-quality sides, like the Dutch, they don't play at the same tempo all game long. They throttle up and then throttle back depending upon gametime, score, situation etc...

I think it's a balance between what they are being asked and actually execution. 60 minutes may not be the right number but it felt after a very early effort and unfortunately a save that we got too stretched for 10 minutes in. I will also say that fatigue has been an issue for everyone in Qatar due to having to play in such a ridiculous climate. It's absolutely had an impact on the results so far. So with that yeah experience and saving legs hurt because of youth.

I realize it may not have changed our fate specifically but FIFA has a lot to be ashamed of this cycle as much as any.

Yup, we played right into LVG's plan of attacking the flank... defend, let Jedi push up, and then calculated counters. Dumfries had a day (2 assists, 1 goal).

I think it's a balance between what they are being asked and actually execution. 60 minutes may not be the right number but it felt after a very early effort and unfortunately a save that we got too stretched for 10 minutes in. I will also say that fatigue has been an issue for everyone in Qatar due to having to play in such a ridiculous climate. It's absolutely had an impact on the results so far. So with that yeah experience and saving legs hurt because of youth.

I realize it may not have changed our fate specifically but FIFA has a lot to be ashamed of this cycle as much as any.
Dutch also subbed in two fresh midfielders at hafltime...and didn't miss a beat. Having that quality depth is so important in these longer competitions and we just aren't there yet.

Dutch also subbed in two fresh midfielders at hafltime...and didn't miss a beat. Having that quality depth is so important in these longer competitions and we just aren't there yet.

The good news is what we need to do/have by 2026 is pretty clear. Bad news is it's much easier said than done and some of it is out of our control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom