2022 Yankees Season | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Yankees Season

Boone with a head scratcher, leaves the righty Loasiga in to face the lefty Odor. Why in heck is the lefty Luetege warming up if you aren’t going to use him for a lefty?Loasiga was shaky as heck but you leave him to face Odor?

For all the “firepower”, the team cannot hit.
It's still way too early to draw any conclusions, but this team, as presently constituted, seems to have less offensive firepower and fewer interesting options off the bench than last season's team.

The O's completely rebuilt its bullpen in the off season. Everyone anticipated a disaster. So far they've been outstanding.

Scored in 3 of 29 innings against Baltimore.

Everything’s fine.
Being an O's fan, and a Yankee hater, I'm delighted. However, the O's pitching is very good right now. Moreover, it's April on a short spring training. I'll trade you the O's position players, for the Yanks, straight up, all day.

I find it hard to believe the Yanks won't start hitting. A lot will depend on staying healthy.

It's still way too early to draw any conclusions, but this team, as presently constituted, seems to have less offensive firepower and fewer interesting options off the bench than last season's team.
Meh, they look the same as last season offensively, except that they’re worse in the 7-8-9 hitters.

Meh, they look the same as last season offensively, except that they’re worse in the 7-8-9 hitters.
That's sort of what I was saying. And nobody has gone down with an injury yet. Better hope the pitching is exceptional.

Small sample size but I like Trevino. IKF has a live bat. Not sure what’s up with Torres. Seems like he’s hitting a lot of pop ups in search of home runs.

Embarrassing

After losing 8 times to a team that won 52 games last year, the Yanks decided to pick up right where they left off.

So glad I didn't bring my son yesterday. Almost did. His last 2 live Yankee games, they've scored 1 run in 20 innings (via a wild pitch). I might have lost him for good.

Small sample size but I like Trevino. IKF has a live bat. Not sure what’s up with Torres. Seems like he’s hitting a lot of pop ups in search of home runs.
They're slightly better with the bat than pitchers. That's about it. Torres is full-on broken. Whatever deal with the devil Cashman made to turn Voit and Urshela into ML hitters came at the cost of the rest of the offense.

Cashman committed 2B to Torres because they didn't want to sell low on him coming off a terrible year. They want him to play and rebuild his value. DJ should be playing 2B every day based on performance but he isn't. Instead to keep Torres and DJ in the lineup Boone (or the analytics guys) have implemented this idiotic rotation of sitting Rizzo, Donaldson, Stanton, and Judge so that one is out creating a spot for DJ to play. It's disruptive to these guys getting into a flow. It removes a key bat each game. But that's Cashman.

After all the end of season talk about needing to get more athletic, more contact, overall better ... Cashman did almost nothing to improve the team. Whether that is because he truly believes this is a championship roster or because Hal didn't give him much additional payroll so he had to just tinker we don't really know.
In effect he exchanged Urshela for Donaldson. Slight upgrade for a lot more $. Exchanged Andrew Velasquez for IFK at SS. Meh. Brought back Rizzo for a full season. Unloaded non hitting, terrible D Gary Sanchez. All this adds up to a bunch of doesn't move the needle. So I'm not surprised the offense has the same problems as last season.

Cashman committed 2B to Torres because they didn't want to sell low on him coming off a terrible year. They want him to play and rebuild his value. DJ should be playing 2B every day based on performance but he isn't. Instead to keep Torres and DJ in the lineup Boone (or the analytics guys) have implemented this idiotic rotation of sitting Rizzo, Donaldson, Stanton, and Judge so that one is out creating a spot for DJ to play. It's disruptive to these guys getting into a flow. It removes a key bat each game. But that's Cashman.

After all the end of season talk about needing to get more athletic, more contact, overall better ... Cashman did almost nothing to improve the team. Whether that is because he truly believes this is a championship roster or because Hal didn't give him much additional payroll so he had to just tinker we don't really know.
In effect he exchanged Urshela for Donaldson. Slight upgrade for a lot more $. Exchanged Andrew Velasquez for IFK at SS. Meh. Brought back Rizzo for a full season. Unloaded non hitting, terrible D Gary Sanchez. All this adds up to a bunch of doesn't move the needle. So I'm not surprised the offense has the same problems as last season.

Yup, simply didn't really make any moves to try and improve the lineup. Getting Hicks back is an upgrade from Gardner but Hicks has never been a high average guy and like most of the guys in this lineup is extremely streaky. A guy like Marte who the Mets got would have made a lot of sense. I don't mind moving Sanchez it had to be done but when IFK is the answer at shortstop you now have 2 black hole lineup spots, won't work in the AL East. Torres is a total enigma, he looks like a different guy from 2019, just lost out there at the plate.

I liked Rizzo and think him coming back was good but I wish we could have found away to keep Voit, when Rizzo's scuffling we don't really have a back up beyond playing DJ there which is less then optimal. With the ownership unlikely to add payroll with a big trade the only real option is to call up some young guys but their really isn't anyone ready at this point beyond maybe one of the SS guys but do you want to interrupt their growth at this point? Not a lot of easy answers and this is all happening before Stanton Hicks and Judge go down with an injury which is all but guaranteed.

Do you think Voit is a better first baseman than DJ?
It's about having viable options around the field. This team seems to have fewer than they had last season, and that's without yet having to deal with injuries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom