2023-2024 schedule release 8 PM tonight | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 schedule release 8 PM tonight

To be fair that's essentially saying we might lose every single non creampuff/weak conference opponent ( 3x in Maui, LSU, Oregon, @UVA, @ Gtown) before January. If we go 1-6 or 2-5 in that stretch of games it would be a pretty big setback and disappointment given the roster. The ACC would need to be much stronger this year to have enough q1/q2 win opportunities to overcome that.
I hope this doesn't happen. It is hard to transition to a new coach. It is harder when that coach has no experience as a head coach. It is harder still when the offense and defense are also being changed completely.

And we lost our summer team building road trip too which I think also sets the team back from where it could be.

Looking at things objectively, I think we are not going to be favorites in any game in Maui. We aren't going to be favored against Oregon, LSU, @UVa and probably won't be favored at Georgetown either.

I don't think the Colgate or Cornell games are givens either.

I like all the optimism and enthusiasm and am hoping for the best. But these types of transitions rarely go smoothly and things weren't great before the change anyway.

Looking forward to the new style of play on offense and defense. The style the team has played has been painful to watch for a long time now and I am very excited to see us possibly make some man and press. And run a fast paced offense.

I hope this doesn't happen. It is hard to transition to a new coach. It is harder when that coach has no experience as a head coach. It is harder still when the offense and defense are also being changed completely.

And we lost our summer team building road trip too which I think also sets the team back from where it could be.

Looking at things objectively, I think we are not going to be favorites in any game in Maui. We aren't going to be favored against Oregon, LSU, @UVa and probably won't be favored at Georgetown either.

I like all the optimism and enthusiasm and am hoping for the best. But these types of transitions rarely go smoothly and things weren't great before the change anyway.

Looking forward to the new style of play on offense and defense. The style the team has played has been painful to watch for a long time now and I am very excited to see us possibly make some man and press. And run a fast paced offense.

Lots of questions to answer for sure. Year 1 is a spaghetti chart of possible outcomes. We are in a tough spot because of the year end results going in as well as spending a lot of reputational capital building up this year's team more from a talent level perspective. A faceplant could unfortunately make this staffs job 10x harder in years 2 and 3.

We don't have a counter to the first time head coach variable and the track record out there. We do have a schedule full of teams with as much if not more new additions to bring together or coming off injuries( Tenn). Gtown has an experienced coach but almost a completely new team, LSU is a new team, Gonzaga is a much different team etc. Colgate lost their best player now for the second straight year. Oregon doesn't come in stacked by any means either.

We shall see how things play out and hopefully not worse case scenario.

Virtually impossible to go worse than 1-2 in Hawaii. I guarantee we win at least one game.

I absolutely love our non-conference schedule. I would always rather have tons of opportunities to rack up Tier 1 wins than have a desperate shortage of chances.

Virtually impossible to go worse than 1-2 in Hawaii. I guarantee we win at least one game.
Ask Virginia and Ralph Sampson about that guarantee. Oh, and a win in that case won't count for our tournament resume.

Ask Virginia and Ralph Sampson about that guarantee. Oh, and a win in that case won't count for our tournament resume.
Yes, I’m old enough to remember! But if I lose that bet only once every 40 years that’s not bad!

Or Villanova in 2003, Princeton in 2007, Oklahoma in 2010, Texas in 2012, Cal in 2017. Chaminade wins a game in that tourney every few years.

Lots of questions to answer for sure. Year 1 is a spaghetti chart of possible outcomes. We are in a tough spot because of the year end results going in as well as spending a lot of reputational capital building up this year's team more from a talent level perspective. A faceplant could unfortunately make this staffs job 10x harder in years 2 and 3.

We don't have a counter to the first time head coach variable and the track record out there. We do have a schedule full of teams with as much if not more new additions to bring together or coming off injuries( Tenn). Gtown has an experienced coach but almost a completely new team, LSU is a new team, Gonzaga is a much different team etc. Colgate lost their best player now for the second straight year. Oregon doesn't come in stacked by any means either.

We shall see how things play out and hopefully not worse case scenario.
I think when people are talking about Red's lack of HC experience, they are minimizing the fact that our guys have been practicing together for four months and besides having only one freshman, we have three juniors and nine sophomores.

Possibly we start out slow, but I would be shocked if we aren't extremely competitive. And the earlier Red can figure out the minute distribution, the more wins we could gain in the OOC.

If our players and especially our guards are as good as everyone claim then the schedule shouldn’t matter. There’s been plenty of coaches in the past few seasons who have got off to blazing starts in their first year coaching. Jerome Tang and Tommy Lloyd immediately come to mind.

TBF, that game was before the Maui tournament began.

I absolutely love our non-conference schedule. I would always rather have tons of opportunities to rack up Tier 1 wins than have a desperate shortage of chances.

Love the non-conference scheduled but I'm not a huge fan of the conference schedule.

Only play one of UNC/Virginia/Duke at home and it's a Tuesday night?

Pitt and Louisville, two schools we have history with, are also not a weekend game.

Bummer

Last edited:
You're looking at a around a 400 dollar flight if you want to fly from Syracuse to Sioux Falls in December with one stop and about 6-7 total hours of travel.

The alternative is 18 hours of driving 1300 miles with zero stopping.

You're looking at a around a 400 dollar flight if you want to fly from Syracuse to Sioux Falls in December with one stop and about 6-7 total hours of travel.

The alternative is 18 hours of driving 1300 miles with zero stopping.
Fortunately for me Sioux falls will be the closest location Cuse plays to me...5hr drive.

Fortunately for me Sioux falls will be the closest location Cuse plays to me...5hr drive.
About a 5 hour drive from me in the Kansas City area also. But I won't be going. :(

To be fair that's essentially saying we might lose every single non creampuff/weak conference opponent ( 3x in Maui, LSU, Oregon, @UVA, @ Gtown) before January. If we go 1-6 or 2-5 in that stretch of games it would be a pretty big setback and disappointment given the roster. The ACC would need to be much stronger this year to have enough q1/q2 win opportunities to overcome that.
I too am worried about the insane scheduling in November and December. I hope this team somehow hits the ground running because it is going to take a really good effort to be above .500 heading into January.
Yeah I don’t get why Red wanted an Izzo type schedule for his first year. But maybe it’ll break for us and we make some noise and get back on the national radar. Fingers crossed. One thing that I’m not thrilled about: no NYC area games at MSG or Barclays. That’s a huge mistake, imo, and not just because I’m a part time NYC resident. We need to (and usually do) play in NYC, often multiple times, for recruiting purposes. I’d rather not be playing that neutral site game against Oregon in the godforsaken Dakotas. What is the point of that? We could have easily scheduled Oregon, the Johnnies or another power conference team at MSG in November or December. I’m disappointed by that.

Yeah I don’t get why Red wanted an Izzo type schedule for his first year. But maybe it’ll break for us and we make some noise and get back on the national radar. Fingers crossed. One thing that I’m not thrilled about: no NYC area games at MSG or Barclays. That’s a huge mistake, imo, and not just because I’m a part time NYC resident. We need to (and usually do) play in NYC, often multiple times, for recruiting purposes. I’d rather not be playing that neutral site game against Oregon in the godforsaken Dakotas. What is the point of that? We could have easily scheduled Oregon, the Johnnies or another power conference team at MSG in November or December. I’m disappointed by that.
The only way that Oregon game gets mentioned nationally is when announcers say "What were they thinking?"

It's one way to get pub, I guess.

A real head scratcher.

The only way that Oregon game gets mentioned nationally is when announcers say "What were they thinking?"

It's one way to get pub, I guess.

A real head scratcher.

As long as we win it it's just another neutral victory possibly a Q1

One can question why we decided to play in it I suppose, but there have been a number of high profile games played in Sioux Falls in recent seasons. It's not like it's the first time they've ever done this.

One can question why we decided to play in it I suppose, but there have been a number of high profile games played in Sioux Falls in recent seasons. It's not like it's the first time they've ever done this.

Yea, I did remember those games and that people think the arena is cool. It’s just an odd choice, especially for an East coast team. And at the expense of playing a neutral site game in NYC is a mistake. This is one of the rare years we won’t be playing in the city at all. I hope it’s an anomaly.

Another thing I noticed with our schedule, I don't see a Saturday night home game all year. Feel like that shouldn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom