2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Didn't guess that one.

@Chris_Jast
Furthermore, I'm told there is also movement with the vacant assistant role at Virginia which was previously held by Dartmouth head coach Sean Kirwan.

One of the names I've heard could create another head coach opening at a Division I school.

Didn't guess that one.

@Chris_Jast
Furthermore, I'm told there is also movement with the vacant assistant role at Virginia which was previously held by Dartmouth head coach Sean Kirwan.

One of the names I've heard could create another head coach opening at a Division I school.
my guess is kevin cassese

my guess is kevin cassese

Getting out while the getting's good? Lehigh losses a lot next year. Four of their top five scorers including Sissleberger. That would be interesting. Pretty high profile move, it seems like Cassese is mentioned quite a bit for other head coaching jobs. I feel like it would be a coach from somewhere less high profile.

rumor: unc's unterstein is in the mix for the Queens job and if he takes that...things might get very interesting around here

the thing is its unlikely unterstein takes queens. but if he does...

Last edited:
rumor: unc's unterstein is in the mix for the Queens job and if he takes that...things might get very interesting around here

the thing is its unlikely unterstein takes queens. but if he does...

Lol, oh boy. That would certainly make things very interesting around here. Don’t want to speculate but would Petro moving be too obvious maybe? With Breschi on the proverbial hot seat I wonder if he makes that call. If he wasn’t coaching the Petro twins would he call Papa Petro, all things being equal?

Winner winner chicken dinner. Quite a move. Wonder what the pay difference is? On the surface sure seems like a step back.

a drop in pay for sure but probably not as steep as some might imagine.

he wanted his kids to grow up in charlottesville rather than bethlehem pa and it's hard to blame him

if he does well he'll still be in the mix for head coach openings

still not a move you see every day. i imagine lehigh will promote scudder, at least as an interim with potential for more, rather than conduct a full search this late in the offseason

he wanted his kids to grow up in charlottesville rather than bethlehem pa and it's hard to blame him

still not a move you see every day. i imagine lehigh will promote scudder, at least as an interim with potential for more, rather than conduct a full search this late in the offseason
First, nice call on Friday. Second, his title will be Associate head coach as well as OC. I feel like this is more of a lateral move career prestige wise--his exposure coaching in the ACC and with the schedule Virginia plays is a huge step up from Lehigh. He's only 42-43 years old and has been HC at Lehigh 16 years, plus he's been passed over for other HC jobs. This might be the stepping stone to a more prestigious HC job. Then there is the location and family angle.

Metzbower perhaps to Denver. Old Tierney assistant this would make a ton of sense. For an off-season with not many big jobs opening up things sure got spicy.

First, nice call on Friday. Second, his title will be Associate head coach as well as OC. I feel like this is more of a lateral move career prestige wise--his exposure coaching in the ACC and with the schedule Virginia plays is a huge step up from Lehigh. He's only 42-43 years old and has been HC at Lehigh 16 years, plus he's been passed over for other HC jobs. This might be the stepping stone to a more prestigious HC job. Then there is the location and family angle.

It's gotta be a move to ultimately get to Duke, right?

This would take Unterstein out of the running and thus we wouldn’t need to contemplate Petro moving to the UNC coordinator position.

This would take Unterstein out of the running and thus we wouldn’t need to contemplate Petro moving to the UNC coordinator position.

word is they are offering a pittance and struggling to hire people. not an easy job for whoever takes over

if he does well at uva, not only will it not hurt his chances of getting another head coaching job, but it might actually help them. he was in the mix for a bunch of openings over the years but was always the bridesmaid, never the bride. this could revitalize interest in him if he keeps the Hoos offense humming

now from what i have heard over the years he would still be a huge longshot for the duke job whenever that opens up

Petro has not exactly done enough these last couple years where I would even be worried about him leaving. If he turns it around this year then maybe, but what about our defense the last two years would have teams with high ambitions wanting to hire the guy as DC? If he doesn’t turn it around this year we should be helping him pack anyways.

Maybe. I think the odds on favorite would be Matt Danowski taking over that job. Whether that’s the right call or not …

Duke would have a ton of alums to pick from that are current head coaches. Chemotti, Murphy, Alberchi are the ones that come to mind. If he does well at UVA still not the worst place to be long term.

Curious the significance of his Associate Head Coach title? Does that just mean a little more money?

Maybe. I think the odds on favorite would be Matt Danowski taking over that job. Whether that’s the right call or not …

Duke would have a ton of alums to pick from that are current head coaches. Chemotti, Murphy, Alberchi are the ones that come to mind. If he does well at UVA still not the worst place to be long term.

Curious the significance of his Associate Head Coach title? Does that just mean a little more money?
it means it might tick off kip turner.

word is they are offering a pittance and struggling to hire people. not an easy job for whoever takes over

if he does well at uva, not only will it not hurt his chances of getting another head coaching job, but it might actually help them. he was in the mix for a bunch of openings over the years but was always the bridesmaid, never the bride. this could revitalize interest in him if he keeps the Hoos offense humming

now from what i have heard over the years he would still be a huge longshot for the duke job whenever that opens up

Hey why didn't you tell us that deep down your a Syracuse fan. According the Rutty lax board your a diehard Cuse fan, lmao......

I don't know what the salary was like at Lehigh or how well funded the Lehigh program is, but where is he looking to go? The ACC and Big jobs are seemingly locked down. The Ivy is as well. Patriot seems like the 4th best conference (or there is a lack of discernible difference between the Patriot, Big East, CAA, and Atlantic).

Lehigh is an hour from the best players in PA and the best players in NJ. It's less than three from LI, Fairfield County, and Baltimore, and just over three to Syracuse. The academics are good. What was stopping him from making Lehigh a destination?

I don't know what the salary was like at Lehigh or how well funded the Lehigh program is, but where is he looking to go? The ACC and Big jobs are seemingly locked down. The Ivy is as well. Patriot seems like the 4th best conference (or there is a lack of discernible difference between the Patriot, Big East, CAA, and Atlantic).

Lehigh is an hour from the best players in PA and the best players in NJ. It's less than three from LI, Fairfield County, and Baltimore, and just over three to Syracuse. The academics are good. What was stopping him from making Lehigh a destination?
Championship weekend, never getting there with Lehigh. All the things you listed are true, but even with all the talent that has been there over the years they barely sniff the NCAA's. There is isn't anything wrong with that, he decided to move on.
Breschi only has a 3 year deal and Metzbower is gone, so UNC is a possibility after 3 with UVA. Or he plays the long game to stay at UVA.

tell us you've never been to bethlehem without telling us you've never been to bethlehem.

he was there for 16 years. he turned them from irrelevant into a consistent top 20 type team. but i think he maxed out what he can do there. maybe someone else makes them better but i wouldn't bet on it. that's about as well as you can do there

i assume he still believes he has a chance at duke and if his virginia offenses can do well in the ACC then maybe he thinks that helps his case. i'm skeptical but i can see the logic in it

tell us you've never been to bethlehem without telling us you've never been to bethlehem.
I went to school in PA and had friends who attended liberty, freedom and BECA. Still have friends that live in Emmaus and macungie.

We’re Syracuse fans. Not sure why I’d disparage Bethlehem. And his wife is from there. (Maybe that’s why he’s moving?)

I’ve never been to Charlottesville so I couldn’t comment on the allure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom