2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

That's rough. They just moved up to D1 this season.

First I’m seeing a program fill the third full time coaching position. I’m surprised more isn’t being made of it to be honest. Anyone know if SU will add a third full time coach? Promote Nick Aquaviva from volunteer assistant? Find someone else?

Wow. Big loss for the Hoos.

Yes it is. It was always was a question of "when", not "if", though. So far, there has been no speculation on our board about a successor.

Yes it is. It was always was a question of "when", not "if", though. So far, there has been no speculation on our board about a successor.

Brown wasn’t exactly blowing anyone’s doors off until Kirwan showed up. Should be interesting to see how Tiffany does without him. I’m sure Virginia will be a very attractive destination for any coach so they should have no problem landing a good one. Guess the question is will they be the right one.

Seems like a good move for Kirwan. I’m surprised it took this long to be honest. He’s got Ivy League roots obviously and is familiar with New England. Kind of feels like if he can’t be successful there who can? Dartmouth is very remote, especially compared to the other Ivy League schools. Curious to see how he does in recruiting. Benson seemed to get the Providence job over him last year. I think I would rather have the Big Green gig though.

Men's S&C Coach...

Ellis is a widely respected S&C coach that is loved by coaches and players. US Lacrosse Mag had a write up on him about a year ago. I wouldn't be upset if he landed on The Hill.

Last edited:
Brown wasn’t exactly blowing anyone’s doors off until Kirwan showed up. Should be interesting to see how Tiffany does without him. I’m sure Virginia will be a very attractive destination for any coach so they should have no problem landing a good one. Guess the question is will they be the right one.

Seems like a good move for Kirwan. I’m surprised it took this long to be honest. He’s got Ivy League roots obviously and is familiar with New England. Kind of feels like if he can’t be successful there who can? Dartmouth is very remote, especially compared to the other Ivy League schools. Curious to see how he does in recruiting. Benson seemed to get the Providence job over him last year. I think I would rather have the Big Green gig though.
Dartmouth seems to have come a long way so maybe it was a matter of Kirwin waiting for the right situation. In my opinion it is better to be in the Ivy than the Big East so Dartmouth is a better job that Providence. Happy for Kirwin. I think he is the secret sauce for UVa so I am also interested to see how Tiffany does without him.

Well it seemed like something needed to change in Chapel Hill. The offense has been kind of a mess for the last two seasons. Still not sure letting Metz go was the thing that needed to change.

Interesting that there will be two open offensive coordinator positions in the ACC. Wonder if the Heels and Cavs will target similar coaches? Candidates for the UNC position aren’t super obvious to me.

Well it seemed like something needed to change in Chapel Hill. The offense has been kind of a mess for the last two seasons. Still not sure letting Metz go was the thing that needed to change.

Interesting that there will be two open offensive coordinator positions in the ACC. Wonder if the Heels and Cavs will target similar coaches? Candidates for the UNC position aren’t super obvious to me.
seremet
haus
mitchell
rewkowski
ward
thompson
chanenchuk

seremet
haus
mitchell
rewkowski
ward
thompson
chanenchuk
they'll go young? guy needs to know he's on the clock, will be able to move around. if it hits, great. if not, as assistants often do... another move and getting a gig off unc wouldn't be that much of a problem. mid-major guy inside 10 years in would be my guess.

they'll go young? guy needs to know he's on the clock, will be able to move around. if it hits, great. if not, as assistants often do... another move and getting a gig off unc wouldn't be that much of a problem. mid-major guy inside 10 years in would be my guess.
that describes chanenchuk pretty well. my guess is they give him a call. he's done well at his few stops and it doesn't appear as though he is getting much of a shot to go back home to Terpland. he also played in charlotte in the MLL for awhile

that describes chanenchuk pretty well. my guess is they give him a call. he's done well at his few stops and it doesn't appear as though he is getting much of a shot to go back home to Terpland. he also played in charlotte in the MLL for awhile
Don’t believe Chanenchuck is ready for that type step. Think Breschi extension was 3 years so pressure is on. One has to think he had someone in mind when he parted ways with Metzbower

Don’t believe Chanenchuck is ready for that type step. Think Breschi extension was 3 years so pressure is on. One has to think he had someone in mind when he parted ways with Metzbower
maybe not, but the trend has been younger. bernhardt at umd, crawley at hop, buczek/ciferri at cornell, bieda at michigan, hogan at gtown, murphy at vermont. the UNC O could use some new ideas and a little youthful energy if you ask me

maybe not, but the trend has been younger. bernhardt at umd, crawley at hop, buczek/ciferri at cornell, bieda at michigan, hogan at gtown, murphy at vermont. the UNC O could use some new ideas and a little youthful energy if you ask me
chanenchuk's a good pull. sbu averaged 9 and 10 goals the 2 years before he's there, and almost 13 1/2 since. that's top 20. doubt another mid major has done that well on average the last 4 years. breschi of course could have someone in mind.

if breschi wasn't on the clock rewkowski might make sense. but he is. not for nothing, but unc averaged over 14+ goals, top 10. sure, some blowouts, but everyone has them. and their offensive coordinator was fired.
not sure much of an increase is in order.

The ring argument is always weak. That was then and this is now. Plenty of guys with a boatload of rings back in the day who have struggled recently. Dont even need to name names since we all know them.

chanenchuk's a good pull. sbu averaged 9 and 10 goals the 2 years before he's there, and almost 13 1/2 since. that's top 20. doubt another mid major has done that well on average the last 4 years. breschi of course could have someone in mind.

if breschi wasn't on the clock rewkowski might make sense. but he is. not for nothing, but unc averaged over 14+ goals, top 10. sure, some blowouts, but everyone has them. and their offensive coordinator was fired.
not sure much of an increase is in order.

The UNC offensive numbers are definitely inflated. Against Mercer, (a very under manned) Brown, Dartmouth, High Point and Providence, the Heels averaged 22 goals. Against stiffer competition including Hopkins, OSU, Denver, Duke UVA and Notre Dame x2, it was just 9. They did average 16.5 against Syracuse, so that says something about both teams as well.

I feel like the three year contract for Breschi is hanging over this hire. Does it make a younger hire more or less likely? Serement has done a good job at Rutgers and is a UNC alum. But he's a bit older, does he want to risk that sort of job security? UNC is obviously an attractive destination so perhaps its worth it. What are the expectations for UNC? Will Breschi get another extension if they make the playoffs the next three years? Do they need to make the final four? Are there any expectations outside of avoiding scandals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom