2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

it's his alma mater, it's a huge step up in prestige, and he'd def get more money. he'd consider it... the biggest obstacle is the timing, no one wants to change jobs right before the season
No I get it. He would be leaving his old man to handle the league on his own. I know Jake Murphy helped him coach last yr and told me that they have been trying to get coaches so Chanachuck didn't have to do it anymore. Was to much for him in the summer with him traveling for PLL games. It's definitely a big step up and will set him up for a HC job in the future. It's tough to get consistent coaches in summer as most are younger just doing it in summer for extra cash when home from school. Like Jake now that he's graduated he got a teaching job and landed the varsity lacrosse HC job at Bellport HS. He's coaching his HS team in summer league now.
I'm sure Mikes dad would want him to take the Maryland job so maybe he sells the league or finds someone to take Mikes job as his partner.

update on this. maryland is putting the full court press on phipps. i dont know if it will happen but that is tillmans first choice. he is paid handsomely in annapolis so it would take lot...

A good number of Tillman's former assistants have moved into D1 head coaching jobs, so it could be viewed as step forward for Mike Phipps' career also.

Mike Phipps, of course, played under Dave Cottle before Tillman arrived at Maryland.

update on this. maryland is putting the full court press on phipps. i dont know if it will happen but that is tillmans first choice. he is paid handsomely in annapolis so it would take lot...

Looks official. A bit surprised as I thought he was pretty committed to Navy.

full court press applied. hes getting a real good package...might be the highest paid assistant in the country now, gets to go back to his alma mater and doesnt have to coach with joe amplo anymore...also doesnt even have to move his family...pretty good deal for phipps

Wowzers. Hasn't coached college since 2010. Some Joe Gibbs/Art Shell vibes here.

1703084394840.jpeg

The best ability is availability. Talk both a desparation move.

i dunno. umd has now twice been able to pluck primo assistants at the last minute, both able to come in because:
- umd can throw $$ around
- it's maryland
- they each were themselves available thru unique circumstances

but how many other programs can do that, at that time of the year? navy has money to throw around and a commitment, the rest?

so what are amplo's choices? his own network, maybe guys he's worked with. if that ain't enough now that he has a navy backing and can get x in a normal cycle (i.e. the end of this year), why reach?

try to reach out to a couple top assts., but you may not land some guys you otherwise could at this part of the calendar. cottle's local, around... it's likely an interim deal without the language.

if they underperform there, move on in a normal cycle. if they have success, maybe the calculus changes. ftr, if it hasn't been said, cottle lead the marquette men's (and maybe women's) searches when they started up.

if they underperform there, move on in a normal cycle. if they have success, maybe the calculus changes. ftr, if it hasn't been said, cottle lead the marquette men's (and maybe women's) searches when they started up.
if they continue to underperform they are going to have a much bigger opening than offensive coordinator

Shots fired.

Is Amplo a jerk or something?
I played football against Amplo in HS. I played with him on the all star team. Him and his bro were complete jerks. They crashed our prom party and cut my friend with a broken bottle. Wrong guy to mess with as he went to there house knocked on the door and beat him up in front of his mom. I'm sure he's a different person now but he has the jerk in him obviously. Lol

damn. inconvenient time... most important thing is he wants to be here (i'm not sure that's the most important thing). amplo sure putting out all the stops on his guy phipps. wonder what he said to all his marquette guys at the time? it was an appropriate time in the calendar for him to look out for #1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom