2023-24 NBA Season | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

ok, so i got in an argument with my friend about this today...need outside input. i will NOT state which side of the argument i was on so as to avoid any blowback.

two part question.
1. If before the season, Michael jordan were given a couple months to train / get in shape...could he win MVP of the WNBA at his current age.

2. would the typical Oak Hill Academy Boys Varsity basketball team defeat a team of WNBA All-stars?
Yes to both.

Not saying all our problems are solved by any means, but as I mentioned a week or so ago, the defense has been significantly improved since Doc took over.

ok, so i got in an argument with my friend about this today...need outside input. i will NOT state which side of the argument i was on so as to avoid any blowback.

two part question.
1. If before the season, Michael jordan were given a couple months to train / get in shape...could he win MVP of the WNBA at his current age.

2. would the typical Oak Hill Academy Boys Varsity basketball team defeat a team of WNBA All-stars?
1. I would lean towards no. I think he could score at will in short bursts, but I think he would have trouble with conditioning and avoiding injury to log enough minutes at age 61 to be MVP.

2. Yes, they would completely dominate the women.

1. I would lean towards no. I think he could score at will in short bursts, but I think he would have trouble with conditioning and avoiding injury to log enough minutes at age 61 to be MVP.

2. Yes, they would completely dominate the women.
Jordan’s stamina was my sticking point as well. I don’t see how he could play enough minutes to win it.

Jordan’s stamina was my sticking point as well. I don’t see how he could play enough minutes to win it.
I’m literal, so I interpreted the question that way. Could he do it? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

On the discussion if the NBA has bad defence (from a few prior pages) based on offensive efficiency.

A few main points:
1) Is basketball better now than the past? That is in the eye of the beholder -- basketball has certainly changed its aesthetics the last 10 years as there is much more skill in certain areas. I think I liked basketball more when there was less 3's and it was less spread out,,, but at the same time we are reaching an equilibrium point where highly skilled players can really show off their game inside the line because defences can only do so much. Think guys like SGA, Luka - they can get good shots at will with their skill set and a spread floor.

2) No the defense is absolutely not worse today.

Playing defence is much harder in 2024 as compared to 1984, 1994, 2004, 2014. or even 2014.
a) The floor is so spread out now, that there are bigs that can get plenty of rebounds and block shots, that are unplayable for defensive reasons. Mismatches are much easier to hunt in a spread out floor.
b) Transition defence is so much harder than in the past. Watch a game from 20 years ago, fast break defence was largely about hustle back to the basket -- now watch what defenders need to do in transition... they have to cover corners and the 3 point line. It's so much harder.

The game is also tougher on your body now than in the 80's - at least in terms of longer term injuries. Yes in the 80's you were much more prone to get low impact injuries -- bruises, some sore ribs, a chipped tooth, a cut lip.

But now since so much defence is play in high speed screening actions at the top of the key, high speed collisions happen more and more. And those are much tougher on the body, than a chop to your side or to your lips.

Well unfortunately one of the Clippers and Lakers had to win.

Would have preferred the Clippers to win though, as I would like to see the Lakers have to go through the indignity of being a play-in team again.

Well unfortunately one of the Clippers and Lakers had to win.

Would have preferred the Clippers to win though, as I would like to see the Lakers have to go through the indignity of being a play-in team again.
Despite the loss, the Clippers did win the free throw battle with 16 chances compared to the Lakers 10.
@DW

Big win for Lakers, down 21 entering 4th quarter, outscore Clippers 39-16. As noted pro hoops fan Larry David would tell his late, great hoops head buddy Richard Lewis, “Pretty, pretty, pretty good.”

On the discussion if the NBA has bad defence (from a few prior pages) based on offensive efficiency.

A few main points:
1) Is basketball better now than the past? That is in the eye of the beholder -- basketball has certainly changed its aesthetics the last 10 years as there is much more skill in certain areas. I think I liked basketball more when there was less 3's and it was less spread out,,, but at the same time we are reaching an equilibrium point where highly skilled players can really show off their game inside the line because defences can only do so much. Think guys like SGA, Luka - they can get good shots at will with their skill set and a spread floor.

2) No the defense is absolutely not worse today.

Playing defence is much harder in 2024 as compared to 1984, 1994, 2004, 2014. or even 2014.
a) The floor is so spread out now, that there are bigs that can get plenty of rebounds and block shots, that are unplayable for defensive reasons. Mismatches are much easier to hunt in a spread out floor.
b) Transition defence is so much harder than in the past. Watch a game from 20 years ago, fast break defence was largely about hustle back to the basket -- now watch what defenders need to do in transition... they have to cover corners and the 3 point line. It's so much harder.

The game is also tougher on your body now than in the 80's - at least in terms of longer term injuries. Yes in the 80's you were much more prone to get low impact injuries -- bruises, some sore ribs, a chipped tooth, a cut lip.

But now since so much defence is play in high speed screening actions at the top of the key, high speed collisions happen more and more. And those are much tougher on the body, than a chop to your side or to your lips.

I think the biggest difference in today's game is bigs being able to stretch the floor on offense and make threes. Even 10 years ago, how many centers did you really have to focus on guarding out beyond the three point line? Most teams viewed the center position as a rim protector and rebounder. They rarely left the paint area on defense.

With the evolution of many teams basically having five guys on the court at the same time that are at least somewhat of a threat to hit threes, the floor has opened up immensely, as you said. The pick and roll with a spread out floor has become more difficult to guard than ever. It's part of the reason why you've heard the phrase "can guard all five positions" more often in the last few years. Guys that can easily switch any screen have become pretty valuable, as it's really the best way to defend today's offenses.

I didn't think that the Knicks protest of the end of that Rockets game was going to be upheld, but it begs the question that if that protest can't be successful - the final play of a tie basketball game in which the NBA admits after the game that the call was incorrect - then why even bother having it as a mechanism for recourse at all? Just do away with it.

I didn't think that the Knicks protest of the end of that Rockets game was going to be upheld, but it begs the question that if that protest can't be successful - the final play of a tie basketball game in which the NBA admits after the game that the call was incorrect - then why even bother having it as a mechanism for recourse at all? Just do away with it.

They like to appear accountable without actually being accountable. It's frustrating - would rather they just shut up publicly, and talk privately with about the organization.

The Raptors have had a few ridiculous communications from the NBA over end of game stuff the last 10 or 15 years. I'm sure pretty much every team has had a few.

Because protests are to not really designed for the purpose that we think they are. They are designed for misapplication of the rules, not crappy refs . For example , the rockets allowed to have 6 guys on the court the last possession

Because protests are to not really designed for the purpose that we think they are. They are designed for misapplication of the rules, not crappy refs . For example , the rockets allowed to have 6 guys on the court the last possession

In that case, don't even allow a protest of this nature to be filed then.

In that case, don't even allow a protest of this nature to be filed then.
Well how does the NBA know it’s a bogus protest until the protest is submitted? Knicks did this for appearances only. They knew it was never getting approved

Yeah the last protest that actually won out was when Shaq was "fouled out" of a game where he only had 5 fouls. You're not going to win a protest if a ref just blows a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom