2023-24 Portal Options | Page 117 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Assuming we play man-to-man defense instead of the zone most of the time, I'm interested to hear what you all think the drop-off is offensively and defensively between Jesse and McLeod, and between McLeod and Hima?

When you look at Mccleod and how his two seasons at FSU, there is a lot of similarity to Jesse. Both had some good games with stretches of ineffective games. Both had decent per 40 numbers. His production is tough to project but 8/8 is not either unreasonable or a number that would dissapoint.

Honestly with this whole roster it comes down to how they coach them up and utilize them. We can( and will) continue to debate talent and our likely outcomes but lacking a clear picture of how Red is going to do things and how the staff does with making effective use of the summer it's all just a big question mark.

Santa seems to have taken a dump in my Syracuse stocking the past few years.
Santa has pretty good aim

sock2_394x.jpg

He's 7'4" and he comes with 5 fouls to give per game. For that matter do we really know how any player is going to perform next season with a new program and coach and what is the improvement progression for each of them? I bet we have had past players that all of a sudden stepped it up the 3rd year...

He's 7'4" and he comes with 5 fouls to give per game. For that matter do we really know how any player is going to perform next season with a new program and coach and what is the improvement progression for each of them? I bet we have had past players that all of a sudden stepped it up the 3rd year...

Fear of the unknown is daunting. This next year is the most unknown we have faced as SU fans our entire lives ( for most not all) given how long JB was in charge. We know some of the players but they are all young.. with a new coach and philosophy and.. yeah

Fear of the unknown is daunting. This next year is the most unknown we have faced as SU fans our entire lives ( for most not all) given how long JB was in charge. We know some of the players but they are all young.. with a new coach and philosophy and.. yeah
In this case I prefer the devil I don’t know to the one I do know. It’s mind bending to see the same people who wanted JB out at all costs complaining about Autry and roster building already. The man has had two months and is obviously handcuffed by NIL issues.. yet he has brought in one of the top portal classes and we seem to be building a top 25 class for 2024. This thing took a decade to break… sure if we had all the NIL money in the world it could be fixed in one off season, but we don’t so we will need to be patient. Not sure how this is on Autry at all.

In this case I prefer the devil I don’t know to the one I do know. It’s mind bending to see the same people who wanted JB out at all costs complaining about Autry and roster building already. The man has had two months and is obviously handcuffed by NIL issues.. yet he has brought in one of the top portal classes and we seem to be building a top 25 class for 2024. This thing took a decade to break… sure if we had all the NIL money in the world it could be fixed in one off season, but we don’t so we will need to be patient. Not sure how this is on Autry at all.

Just FYI nothing in my post disagrees with you. It's just a point of being at a place where there is a lot we don't know and that's ok. Pretty normal.

We have brought in two very good portal players (loads of potential) and lost two portal players (who were more proven and ranked higher) and likely to lose our PG and best player to the NBA.

At the moment, it takes some spinning to say this is an overall positive roster trade vs last year.

Based on the early excitement while mentioning certain names of players in the portal (and even those not in the portal) the off season expectations were a little higher.

We have brought in two very good portal players (loads of potential) and lost two portal players (who were more proven and ranked higher) and likely to lose our PG and best player to the NBA.

At the moment, it takes some spinning to say this is an overall positive roster trade vs last year.

Based on the early excitement while mentioning certain names of players in the portal (and even those not in the portal) the off season expectations were a little higher.
Roster isn’t final yet but the potential to lose your top 3 scorers to bring in guys who are a bit more unproven (JJ is fine as JG replacement) and hope the returners make a jump makes me nervous. Add in Maui and things could look bad early on.

A rotation of 7 sophomores and 2 juniors with a new HC can be scary

Last edited:
I'm still unconvinced how effective he would be but with his size, you figure it takes a little longer to develop and become adapt with all your skills.

Most interesting will be the option to go with a big lineup, Naheem, Maliq, Benny, JJ and Chance (or Judah) which would be our tallest ever or go small with three guards, Chris and Maliq, which still gives us five pretty good size guys.

Positive opportunities for Red and staff to develop these guys on both ends of the floor.

Hopefully this happens and the portal deadline comes and goes and no one thinks of leaving and then it's just Judah or his replacement to fill out the roster. Unless Red finds a stud forward to fill the 13th spot.

I'm still unconvinced how effective he would be but with his size, you figure it takes a little longer to develop and become adapt with all your skills.

Most interesting will be the option to go with a big lineup, Naheem, Maliq, Benny, JJ and Chance (or Judah) which would be our tallest ever or go small with three guards, Chris and Maliq, which still gives us five pretty good size guys.

Positive opportunities for Red and staff to develop these guys on both ends of the floor.

Hopefully this happens and the portal deadline comes and goes and no one thinks of leaving and then it's just Judah or his replacement to fill out the roster. Unless Red finds a stud forward to fill the 13th spot.
I fully expect Naheem to play 18-22 minute a night. He will be in a rotation with Brown and who ever wins Hima/Carey/Patterson battle for the “backup” center.
Starting to seem that there is very little chance Judah comes back.

Last edited:
Great post. No one knows which players are going to step up this coming season or how they will develop in reds system. We brought in two former 5 star players that are sophomores. If we get a 7’4 center with size we finally have someone that can control the middle. We have a lot of good pieces. People need to take a deep breath and enjoy the summer. The season will be here soon enough to either start complaining or changing current takes.