2023-24 Portal Options | Page 119 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Joe was cleaning out his locker and I'm sure reminiscing...
Screenshot_20230507-215828_Instagram.jpg

Best wishes next season in the other Orange gear (except for 2 games). Thanks for your 4 years of bleeding Cuse Orange.

Wish JGIII the best. But it's going to be interesting to see how he fits into a Brownell team that stresses aggressive m-2-m defense.
He'll be more than adequate in the M2M. The knock that he's unathletic is unwarranted, he played a very good QB and DB in football, he's hardnosed, tough and competitive in the sense he'll take pride in trying to shut down his man. He might be better in the M2M than the zone where he had a ton of area to cover almost out to the logo. In M2M, you glue yourself to your guy, a lot less decision-making on the part of the defender, just stick with your guy.

It almost sounded like a slip, he almost said "When I play at Syracuse" instead of "if I play at Syracuse."

Love him or hate him, our roster besides Judah Mintz might be pretty well shaped up.

He slipped in an "our style of play", too. I think Miss. State will have to blow him away. Sounds like he's coming to Syracuse.

Not getting the love, didn’t do much at all for a sub 10 win team. Better than Hima? Sure, seems like Chukwu 2.0.

Shouldn't get pushed around like Chukwu though at least. If he comes then I look specifically to see what Griff can do.

Fwiw a lot of schools looking to get a visit is at least a little telling. If it doesn't workout well we at least are looking strong with the 24 class out of the gate so we Shouldn't be waiting long for a talent infusion.

He'll be more than adequate in the M2M. The knock that he's unathletic is unwarranted, he played a very good QB and DB in football, he's hardnosed, tough and competitive in the sense he'll take pride in trying to shut down his man. He might be better in the M2M than the zone where he had a ton of area to cover almost out to the logo. In M2M, you glue yourself to your guy, a lot less decision-making on the part of the defender, just stick with your guy.
I think he will be fine too. In the 10 minutes of man-to-man they played against Georgia Tech, he seemed like he was one of the few that knew what he was doing.

He slipped in an "our style of play", too. I think Miss. State will have to blow him away. Sounds like he's coming to Syracuse.
Seemed like he was talking about the current players and his athleticism and how if they were together, it would be a good fit. Not necessarily that he was saying he was already part of the team.

Still, it sure seems likely he'll be picking us.

Will Shaver available again

UNC and Belomnt didn't work out.
Is there something there...notwithstanding his seeming 6 inch vertical leap?

So what's the outlook? Looks like we're in good shape with McLeod, and I'm not aware of any backup plan for center. It doesn't seem like the staff is looking at forwards. I think they want one more guard but it's been quiet on this front -- any idea if there's a legitimate shot with anyone good? They could take a pg or wing as Chance can play either position, and Quadir/Bell/JT can fill in off the bench if we get another portal player.

So what's the outlook? Looks like we're in good shape with McLeod, and I'm not aware of any backup plan for center. It doesn't seem like the staff is looking at forwards. I think they want one more guard but it's been quiet on this front -- any idea if there's a legitimate shot with anyone good? They could take a pg or wing as Chance can play either position, and Quadir/Bell/JT can fill in off the bench if we get another portal player.
Ty-Laur Johnson would be great if Judah stays in the draft

It feels like McLeod and hope for Judah to come back? I’m sure that’s not giving the staff enough credit and they seem to be moving more quietly but doesn’t seem like we’ve been seriously linked to anyone else.

At this point, lineup looks like either:

Chance
JJ
Bell
Benny
McLeod

-or-

Quadir
JJ
Chance
Benny
McLeod

Adding Judah would make for a much better team, but I've now accepted he's very unlikely to return. I'm high on Quadir and think Bell can make a big leap. That gives flexibility for the staff to pick up anyone who can play 1-3. Shooting would be helpful. A true PG from the portal would be great, but even if we don't get one, we have good playmaking and ball handling. I also think Quadir steps up big.

I tend to gravitate towards the second lineup, but that depends on how JJ, Chance and Benny shoot.

It feels like McLeod and hope for Judah to come back? I’m sure that’s not giving the staff enough credit and they seem to be moving more quietly but doesn’t seem like we’ve been seriously linked to anyone else.
I'd be very happy with that at this point. Judah/JJ/Chance/Benny/McLeod. Quadir/Bell/JT/Maliq/Hima off the bench. I was hoping for an elite center but there's lack of supply so McLeod will hold it down with minutes from Hima and maybe Maliq depending on matchup. However, I don't think Judah returns. If we add another guard/wing, he should be elite. We have lots of good players and good depth. A game-changer -- someone like Judah -- would be a welcome addition though.