2023-24 Portal Options | Page 118 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

We have brought in two very good portal players (loads of potential) and lost two portal players (who were more proven and ranked higher) and likely to lose our PG and best player to the NBA.

At the moment, it takes some spinning to say this is an overall positive roster trade vs last year.

Based on the early excitement while mentioning certain names of players in the portal (and even those not in the portal) the off season expectations were a little higher.
Don’t disagree… but as rocky as this off-season has gone, I still prefer it to running JB back again. We were always going to bottom out at some point AFTER the Hof coach left. He was a hof’er for a reason after all.

It seems to me Autry has a vision and plan to turn this around, my biggest fear right now is that he’s not going to have the NIL support to execute his plan and we are doomed to be a tier 3 program hoping to be on the bubble.

That would be some crazy stuff to influence your decision on where to go.
I doubt it had anything to do with it.

Why? After Covid a lot of kids stayed closer to home with their college decision out of HS. In Joe's case he just stayed closer to home in general. Like in Joe's case other kids get chances in conference to play in front of more family.

Also it's happening a lot all over the country. Familiarity can be attractive as well if you will face the same teams you are used to facing with having a very short adjustment period. I think the decisions kids are making are sensible for multiple reasons. Revenge of some sort is obviously at the bottom of the list if applicable at all.

Why? After Covid a lot of kids stayed closer to home. In Joe's case he just stayed closer to home in general. Like in Joe's case other kids get chances in conference to play in front of more family.

Also it's happening a lot all over the country. Familiarity can be attractive as well if you will face the same teams you are used to facing. I think the decisions kids are making are sensible for multiple reasons. Revenge of some sort is obviously at the bottom of the list if applicable at all.
You said to play against former team.
Playing closer to home could be a reason, but just to play against your former team is ridiculous

Playing closer to home could be a reason, but just to play against your former team is ridiculous

Well you assumed and jumped on me. I never said it was the only reason. I've posted about the opportunity for Joe to play back in front of family again previously on him possibly choosing Clemson.

IDK. Show what they gave up on. I get it. I hope we win, but he gets 40

Well you assumed and jumped on me. I never said it was the only reason. I've posted about the opportunity for Joe to play back in front of family again previously on him possibly choosing Clemson.
I was just responding to the post you said it was attractive to play against former team. Didn’t mean to jump on you, but I just can’t see anyone in Joe’s shoes using that as a factor of where to play.
If the reason he chose Clemson is so he can stick it to the Orange then I find it crazy as heck.

Wish JGIII the best. But it's going to be interesting to see how he fits into a Brownell team that stresses aggressive m-2-m defense.

My guess is they look at how they covered for Hemingway defensively and Joe is a better defender than Hemingway was overall and produces more on offense. Plus Clemson is a program with limited expectations in hoops. The risk/reward of a really good offensive player that's weak on D having a big role.. is worth it to such a program. Hope he does well there.

I was just responding to the post you said it was attractive to play against former team. Didn’t mean to jump on you, but I just can’t see anyone in Joe’s shoes using that as a factor of where to play.
If the reason he chose Clemson is so he can stick it to the Orange then I find it crazy as heck.

Right on. Yeah I will add I didn't necessarily just mean as revenge either. Seeing former teammates seems like a logical reason too especially given how after college it's amazing how hard it is to keep in touch and see old friends. Joe is tight with many of these guys the staff etc.

Hey he dropped 16 on us when we played FSU. We can use him. He'd be a good get. Certainly more advanced than bringing in a high school recruit. Come on big guy, you'll love rockin' the Dome!

Solid kid too not just a pushover.

Right on. Yeah I will add I didn't necessarily just mean as revenge either. Seeing former teammates seems like a logical reason too especially given how after college it's amazing how hard it is to keep in touch and see old friends. Joe is tight with many of these guys the staff etc.
For Joe’s sake I hope he got some kind of NIL bag and ends up with plenty of playing time and shows out with his deep threat ability.

Joe to Clemson.
Glad for Joe that he made a decision. Hope that it was the right one and he does well. They have Joe listed as a PG. He needs to play off the ball. There are 7 guards now on the Clemson roster.

What am I thinking? Glad you asked, big man. Here are my thoughts...

- You. I was hoping for a bigger splash than McLeod but, who knows, it could work. I'm also higher on Hima than most on this board so perhaps the two of these big men can do what we need. I'm just hoping that if we land McLeod, it doesn't take too many of our NIL dollars.

- Judah's decision is going to be big for us, obviously. If he comes back, no question in my mind we can compete at higher level with this team than last year. That all said, the current group (without Judah) might surprise us. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you never know.

- Joe going to Clemson. Good for him. I usually don't care at all when guys leave. However, Jesse's move was irritating. Joe leaving was more sad. Joe was an excellent player for us, who got way too much crap from the fan base for things, often that were not his doing (i.e. playing too many minutes, playing point, etc.). Some players I don't like to see in other uniforms - he's one of those players for me. Quincy is another.

What am I thinking? Glad you asked, big man. Here are my thoughts...

- You. I was hoping for a bigger splash than McLeod but, who knows, it could work. I'm also higher on Hima than most on this board so perhaps the two of these big men can do what we need. I'm just hoping that if we land McLeod, it doesn't take too many of our NIL dollars.

- Judah's decision is going to be big for us, obviously. If he comes back, no question in my mind we can compete at higher level with this team than last year. That all said, the current group (without Judah) might surprise us. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you never know.

- Joe going to Clemson. Good for him. I usually don't care at all when guys leave. However, Jesse's move was irritating. Joe leaving was more sad. Joe was an excellent player for us, who got way too much crap from the fan base for things, often that were not his doing (i.e. playing too many minutes, playing point, etc.). Some players I don't like to see in other uniforms - he's one of those players for me. Quincy is another.
Well said. Agree with everything there.