2023-24 Portal Options | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Benny Williams is plenty tall enough... He's taller than Dennis Rodman, to reference one great rebounder. He's 5 inches taller than Paul Harris. Height isn't his problem.

I think he'll be alright, but McLeod isn't a great rebounder either. We'll be putting out a lineup with two big guys who are slightly below average rebounders, along with three guards.

If so, either some players need to refocus and improve their rebounding or we will need to do very well in turnover margin. Otherwise we will have a huge negative margin in number of possessions per game. Teams who routinely get out rebounded have to have very efficient offenses and very strong defenses to win games.

Many of JB's teams did it during the best zone defenses, but it's hard for fans to watch teams play dump and chase at your basket.

In the same way that Maliq Brown found his way into being a rotation mainstay last year, I predict the same will happen this year. We just don't have the rebounding without him.

I read it as a surprise. High floor kid is what I saw in his games too. Quite a few on that board weren't happy about it either.

He seems like a better version of Symir, or maybe a lesser version of John Gillon.

Either way, a legit PG, scored nearly double figures off the bench, low TO's, good 3 point percentage. Plus, he's coming home? Works for me.

It would worry me if Miss State was offering him $250K, though, like some said on their board. That's probably outside of our budget.

I've been a Mika Adams Woods fan since he came to UC being a Syracuse native. If he comes to SU he has zero, none, nada chance of starting. he is Symir with a little better jump shot. It certainly looks a lot better but He's never been a clutch shooter. That was Dejulius He's in the portal because he was not going to start for UC next year. An incoming freshman will. If Judah leaves he would be a nice 4th guard. He's not a PG. He is a prototypical combo guard that is not good enough at either. He is a good defender but not the lock down some make him out to be.
UC tried to replace him almost every year but due to injury and transfers he has stuck in the lineup.
He is quality depth that won't be overmatched but nothing more.

Lastly, I'd say more UC fans were disappointed MAW was coming back than leaving, They need to upgrade their roster for the Big 12.

I've been a Mika Adams Woods fan since he came to UC being a Syracuse native. If he comes to SU he has zero, none, nada chance of starting. he is Symir with a little better jump shot. It certainly looks a lot better but He's never been a clutch shooter. That was Dejulius He's in the portal because he was not going to start for UC next year. An incoming freshman will. If Judah leaves he would be a nice 4th guard. He's not a PG. He is a prototypical combo guard that is not good enough at either. He is a good defender but not the lock down some make him out to be.
UC tried to replace him almost every year but due to injury and transfers he has stuck in the lineup.

Lastly, I'd say more UC fans were disappointed MAW was coming back than leaving, They need to upgrade their roster for the Big 12.

Interesting. The 8 games I watched I saw positives. Nothing flashy but positives. The frosh they are bringing in isn't that impressive. There is nothing to say SU has reached out so far. I've heard others with positive reviews as well including a co worker who is a UC alum with season tickets I chatted up about him today with actually.

Symir had a handful of double digit scoring games his two years here.. Mika had 15 or so this past year. Experience and efficiency is what I saw- your take seems a bit over the top negative to me. He sounds like a 4 p to 2 Ast per game guy the way you describe him.

To be fair, I read about 5 pages deep in that board, and there were a solid minority who said they were going to miss him, that there was no guarantee that either of the freshmen who they hoped would take over the point are going to be immediate Big 12 caliber starters, either.

Like I said, if he is a threat if left open from three, if he can handle the ball against pressure, has a 2-1 A-T ratio and can give us a steady 15 - 20 minutes, that's great. That plugs a hole in the lineup, and still leaves room for all of the sophomores to step into somewhat bigger roles. He doesn't have to be a star; he has to be a useful piece.

Interesting. The 8 games I watched I saw positives. Nothing flashy but positives. The frosh they are bringing in isn't that impressive. There is nothing to say SU has reached out so far. I've heard others with positive reviews as well including a co worker who is a UC alum with season tickets I chatted up about him today with actually.

Symir had a handful of double digit scoring games his two years here.. Mika had 15 or so this past year. Experience and efficiency is what I saw- your take seems a bit over the top negative to me. He sounds like a 4 p to 2 Ast per game guy the way you describe him.
I'll take the 100+ games I've watched personally him play for my analysis. He does have tons of playing time experience. He is sophomore year Michael Edwards, just didn't get worse like Mike did. But he never got better either.

To be fair, I read about 5 pages deep in that board, and there were a solid minority who said they were going to miss him, that there was no guarantee that either of the freshmen who they hoped would take over the point are going to be immediate Big 12 caliber starters, either.

Like I said, if he is a threat if left open from three, if he can handle the ball against pressure, has a 2-1 A-T ratio and can give us a steady 15 - 20 minutes, that's great. That plugs a hole in the lineup, and still leaves room for all of the sophomores to step into somewhat bigger roles. He doesn't have to be a star; he has to be a useful piece.
To be fair I got my dander up when someone had him pencilled in as SUs starting PG next year. That would not take long to be seen as a mistake.

To be fair I got my dander up when someone had him pencilled in as SUs starting PG next year. That would not take long to be seen as a mistake.

Put yourself in SUs shoes. You go with Quadir or an unproven freshman?

We certainly arent swimming in good options for more guards/ball handlers in the portal as it stands.

It could be all debate for nothing anyways because there is no traction here as of now.

I would just say that I don't see harm in giving Mika a shot to compete for a starting spot with Quadir and Bell/Taylor. Rather not have anyone penciled in at this point outside maybe JJ/Westry. If he doesn't prove/earn the spot he's a one year guy .

Last edited:
Put yourself in SUs shoes. You go with Quadir or an unproven freshman?

We certainly arent swimming in good options for more guards/ball handlers in the portal as it stands.

It could be all debate for nothing anyways because there is no traction here as of now.

I would just say that I don't see harm in giving Mika a shot to compete for a starting spot with Quadir and Bell/Taylor. Rather not have anyone penciled in at this point outside maybe JJ/Westry. If he doesn't prove/earn the spot he's a one year guy .
I want Tylaur. He has the most upside. It’s also a bit strange he hasn’t committed anywhere yet.

Back to McLeod for a second, does anyone know what actually happened with his Achilles injury last season? He was originally expected to miss 6-7 weeks, but then it turned out it was "misdiagnosed" and he only missed one game.

I'd support him if he came to SU, and guys can always get better, but the fact that at his size he barely cracked the rotation for an FSU team that hurt for rebounding and inside scoring all season gives me some concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom