2023-24 Portal Options | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Maybe Red thinks Copeland and Taylor can replace Symir and Girard. I think Benny and Brown can handle the four. We need another small forward to rotate with Bell.
With Joe and Symir gone, I'd like to see Taylor come off the bench at SG primarily. That's his actual position. Q at the 1 or 3, although I'm not sure how much he'll be the primary ball handler if Judah comes back and we have JJ. Agreed we need another small forward who can shoot and rebound.

The question mark for me is how Autry creates and maintains team chemistry. Talent alone isn't enough unless there's a cohesiveness on and off the court. The portal is great for identifying potential talent, but if you can't get everyone on the same page with the same commitment to team success, you really haven't created a top level winning program. For all Hurley's antics and issues, that is the most impressive aspect of his coaching abilities.

Autry seems like the guy who can do that, but everything at this point is yet to be seen.

Red has to be careful using the portal. It looks like he wants to bring in four recruits next year. To have room, he needs to bring in grad transfers or players with only one year left. He still might not have room.
What careful? If he wants to have longevity here he needs to put on his big boy britches and be willing to run off some dead weight on the roster. And there is a lot of it.

The question mark for me is how Autry creates and maintains team chemistry. Talent alone isn't enough unless there's a cohesiveness on and off the court. The portal is great for identifying potential talent, but if you can't get everyone on the same page with the same commitment to team success, you really haven't created a top level winning program. For all Hurley's antics and issues, that is the most impressive aspect of his coaching abilities.

Autry seems like the guy who can do that, but everything at this point is yet to be seen.

Well with the Straughn add its clear you are getting another strong player relationship and development guy plus some strong modern hoops chops to go with. 4 deep on the bench of guys with great relationship building skills is a really good thing to start with. Red being HC but this group being as much a whole staff and unit vs just Red and assistants.

We’ll worry about that when we actually have the talent to compete. Right now the bigger threat to chemistry is just flat out sucking because we don’t have good enough players.

With Joe and Symir gone, I'd like to see Taylor come off the bench at SG primarily. That's his actual position. Q at the 1 or 3, although I'm not sure how much he'll be the primary ball handler if Judah comes back and we have JJ. Agreed we need another small forward who can shoot and rebound.
Or move Benny to the three and recruit a bruiser who can rebound like a beast.

Yes, we need some muscle up front, but maybe maliq can be that guy if he spends enough time in the weight room.

Especially a big fella who can step out and shoot. I saw Bacot was trying to get his former AAU teammate Hunter Dickinson to come to UNC. If Dickinson can play with a center on the floor, why not play the 4 at Cuse. I'm not sure if he'd be good at the 4 or if it's not a good fit, but it's worth consideration given Straughn's connection with him.

Last edited:
We’ll worry about that when we actually have the talent to compete. Right now the bigger threat to chemistry is just flat out sucking because we don’t have good enough players.
Bingo.

Yeah folks need to chill. It's early April not mid June.
The impatience here is annoying. Red is making good decisions. The next step is Freeman here this weekend.

We will get good players. If guys stay on the roster we should trust Red’s judgement.

Some of the names thrown around this board are guys who were less productive than our guys and some other players put up big numbers on awful teams.

The impatience here is annoying. Red is making good decisions. The next step is Freeman here this weekend.

We will get good players. If guys stay on the roster we should trust Red’s judgement.

Some of the names thrown around this board are guys who were less productive than our guys and some other players put up big numbers on awful teams.

Exactly.

Where are people seeing that Hicks visited here? Besides the twitter account with 5 followers.

Plus, Rome isn't built in a day.

We all want to see roster upgrades. We all want to see a talent infusion. We all are eager to see what the system changes will be, and how personnel will be utilized.

But in all likelihood, the roster is NOT going to be optimized next year for what Red wants to do. And while we all hope that several of the incumbents make the sophomore leap, or that players like Benny find consistency, we'll have to see whether those things come to pass. There will also be attrition, based upon how next year goes.

And then we hit the portal again to fill in the gaps.

But I don't think the "impatience" is "annoying" -- I think most fans are eager to turn the page on this subpar era, and more importantly recognize that several important pieces of the puzzle are in place if Judah returns [along with Jesse] -- so there's an opportunity for the team to make a jump in performance, if Red has the coaching chops. But after next year, Judah / Jesse will for sure be gone. Hence, why people want to see a versatile forward, improved guard depth beyond Taylor, etc. so that next year's team gets back into NCAA contention, or more.

Red has need no time to adjust, has hit the ground running, we are in good hands. The question will be can he be tough enough as the head man and let his assistants do the coddling. As the boss he needs to know when to put the hammer down and when to ease up. Noone can tell that until we are into the season. Being the boss means being OK with having to be the heavy when it is needed. That is a far cry from the assistant role of building confidence in a player after JB gave them what for.

We all want to see roster upgrades. We all want to see a talent infusion. We all are eager to see what the system changes will be, and how personnel will be utilized.

But in all likelihood, the roster is NOT going to be optimized next year for what Red wants to do. And while we all hope that several of the incumbents make the sophomore leap, or that players like Benny find consistency, we'll have to see whether those things come to pass. There will also be attrition, based upon how next year goes.

But I don't think the "impatience" is "annoying" -- I think most fans are eager to turn the page on this subpar era, and more importantly recognize that several important pieces of the puzzle are in place if Judah returns [along with Jesse] -- so there's an opportunity for the team to make a jump in performance, if Red has the coaching chops. But after next year, Judah / Jesse will for sure be gone. Hence, why people want to see a versatile forward, improved guard depth beyond Taylor, etc. so that next year's team gets back into NCAA contention, or more.

Can't speak for 0307 but the impatience of not having all the answers and panic in early April is quite annoying. Portal commitments have been slow for the most part. Lots still out there so while we await our own possible losses, it's not like there is evidence Red isn't hard at work for crafting next year's team. Come early/mid May if we are still idle yeah gonna be hard to sit still in our chairs but hard to imagine things don't start unfolding prior to that.

Fine with me if we add another guard or forward. The main point is we have time. There have not been very many portal commits and we already have one as it is.

We are also involved with a lot of talent for 24 with a visit happening this weekend. I don't think sitting idly will be an issue anymore. JB is not the coach.