2023-24 Portal Options | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Can't speak for 0307 but the impatience of not having all the answers and panic in early April is quite annoying. Portal commitments have been slow for the most part. Lots still out there so while we await our own possible losses, it's not like there is evidence Red isn't hard at work for crafting next year's team. Come early/mid May if we are still idle yeah gonna be hard to sit still in our chairs but hard to imagine things don't start unfolding prior to that.

Even the word you use -- "panic" -- makes an attribution that isn't needed, OZ.

After all, this is a message board, with a dedicated hoops recruiting page. What else are we supposed to talk about?

I also think there's some disappointment that the TTO options quickly dried up, after we were linked to a couple of those guys.

I guess I don't see it as "panic" as much as a recognition that next year's squad could be pretty good, but would be a lot better with a supplemental player or two that move the needle.

I think the majority of the impatience I've seen here is more about intolerance for the team being long-term mediocre.

The impatience here is annoying. Red is making good decisions. The next step is Freeman here this weekend.

We will get good players. If guys stay on the roster we should trust Red’s judgement.

Some of the names thrown around this board are guys who were less productive than our guys and some other players put up big numbers on awful teams.
It's not impatience. The good talent isn't going to linger in the portal for long. Given the deficit of talent Syracuse has, it's not beneficial to hold things up because of one person.

Plus, Rome isn't built in a day.

We all want to see roster upgrades. We all want to see a talent infusion. We all are eager to see what the system changes will be, and how personnel will be utilized.

But in all likelihood, the roster is NOT going to be optimized next year for what Red wants to do. And while we all hope that several of the incumbents make the sophomore leap, or that players like Benny find consistency, we'll have to see whether those things come to pass. There will also be attrition, based upon how next year goes.

And then we hit the portal again to fill in the gaps.

But I don't think the "impatience" is "annoying" -- I think most fans are eager to turn the page on this subpar era, and more importantly recognize that several important pieces of the puzzle are in place if Judah returns [along with Jesse] -- so there's an opportunity for the team to make a jump in performance, if Red has the coaching chops. But after next year, Judah / Jesse will for sure be gone. Hence, why people want to see a versatile forward, improved guard depth beyond Taylor, etc. so that next year's team gets back into NCAA contention, or more.
I suspect it's possible that the allure of the unknown is helping to keep our young guys on the roster.

That said, much more will be "known" next season, and we may see guys portal after their role within Red's style shakes out to their possible disliking.

After all, this is a message board, with a dedicated hoops recruiting page. What else are we supposed to talk about?

I also think there's some disappointment that the TTO options quickly dried up, after we were linked to a couple of those guys.

I guess I don't see it as "panic" as much as a recognition that next year's squad could be pretty good, but would be a lot better with a supplemental player or two that move the needle.

I think the majority of the impatience I've seen here is more about intolerance for the team being long-term mediocre.
It's not the same but FAU largely had the same roster last season. Having a new voice and concepts can help a ton.

Where you biking these days?

I’m south of Albany. For mtb I’m 35 mins from elm ridge in windham, which is easily one of the top 3 places in the state IMO. Jockey hill in Kingston, thacher park in “Albany”, round top trails in round top. Places I go the most. I also have a ton of gravel roads around me, easily 100+ miles and a lot I can get to riding from my house.

You mtb, feel like we had a conv years ago

I’m south of Albany. For mtb I’m 35 mins from elm ridge in windham, which is easily one of the top 3 places in the state IMO. Jockey hill in Kingston, thacher park in “Albany”, round top trails in round top. Places I go the most. I also have a ton of gravel roads around me, easily 100+ miles and a lot I can get to riding from my house.

You have a gravel bike as well? Looking at options for myself

Carryover from all the dissapointment is probably the biggest driver I would agree.. we all certainly feel that.

And of course what else do we have to discuss I get that too.

I guess I look at it as if things haven't evolved more in 30 days.. that's quite a bit more heart burn.

As for TTO the Justin Moore stuff made sense.. he stayed at Nova.. good for him/them. Jury is still out on the others. English bringing along Oduro is of little surprise as well.

The Bradley connection is promising. The Westry connection is potentially promising so long as it's depth. Irons are in the fire it appears.

So let's reduce panic to anxiety then no issue there. Let's just hope come 30 days from now things look and feel different around how the roster will look.

Red has need no time to adjust, has hit the ground running, we are in good hands. The question will be can he be tough enough as the head man and let his assistants do the coddling. As the boss he needs to know when to put the hammer down and when to ease up. Noone can tell that until we are into the season. Being the boss means being OK with having to be the heavy when it is needed. That is a far cry from the assistant role of building confidence in a player after JB gave them what for.
I think he’s already proved he has the chops by saying good bye to Joe and Symir.

Jockey? That's practically my backyard.
The new trails in Jockey and Onteorra are vurry noice.
Only been to Round Top area once, but really enjoyed it.
Elm Ridge on the back of Windham is a blast too - been there 2x (so far)

As for gravel, we've got the mohonk preserve, the mountain house, and Minne -
this stuff is almost literally in my backyard.

If'n you wanna talk all things bike more offline, ping me via DM

It's not impatience. The good talent isn't going to linger in the portal for long. Given the deficit of talent Syracuse has, it's not beneficial to hold things up because of one person.
Who says we are? The Ellis suggestion makes no sense. We are better off keeping Girard.

There are better players in the portal and again few have committed so there’s not much data to back up your hypothesis right now.

You have a gravel bike as well? Looking at options for myself

Yeah, shoot me a msg. I spent over 6 months researching them b/c my needs were really particular.

Jockey? That's practically my backyard.
The new trails in Jockey and Onteorra are vurry noice.
Only been to Round Top area once, but really enjoyed it.
Elm Ridge on the back of Windham is a blast too - been there 2x (so far)

As for gravel, we've got the mohonk preserve, the mountain house, and Minne -
this stuff is almost literally in my backyard.

If'n you wanna talk all things bike more offline, ping me via DM

Yeah def, I love jockey. Other than the quarry trail put a crack in my carbon bike last year lol.

Fine with me if we add another guard or forward. The main point is we have time. There have not been very many portal commits and we already have one as it is.

We are also involved with a lot of talent for 24 with a visit happening this weekend. I don't think sitting idly will be an issue anymore. JB is not the coach.

Gonna tack on.

Two things at the end of last year stuck out. Benny played his last game like we've been waiting for two years. Bell hustled the last few games like we waited for all season.

I didn't play collegiately in my sport (soccer) because of an awful injury late my senior year. I did however play high level AAU. Coaching Xs and Os matter as do relationships. Also what matters is when you don't have a comfort level playing for a certain coach. I saw talented guys who went D1 with big expectations flounder under coaches they weren't comfortable under.

When we talk about young guys breaking out- part of that is putting it all out on the floor. It's not as easy in today's culture to bring that out in a kid. Not knocking JB but most certainly of late we see examples of that- Benny being one possible example.

You have six frosh who seem to all love the current staff. We may see and get a lot more out of a couple of these guys as a result hence my small sample size reference to Benny and Bell. Im not claiming I am right.. but when I hear the talent and running it back comments- that's a top 30 and then a top 100 forward. JT is a top 100 /150 as well. All 3 with talent that we saw in flashes and comparable to talent levels on other teams. Sophomore leap is one thing - playing with everything you have and being locked in is another. Let's not underestimate that possibility and that reciprocated belief.

The impatience is coming from people wanting a finalized roster by early April where as the transfer portal doesn’t close for another month. There will be more transfers out there in due time.

People are just bored because no tournament for 2nd straight year and last year there was crickets from JB using the portal.

Who says we are? The Ellis suggestion makes no sense. We are better off keeping Girard.

There are better players in the portal and again few have committed so there’s not much data to back up your hypothesis right now.
I doubt keeping joe was an option. I believe that red thinks Judah will return, so he probably told joe he would be third guard getting 10 to 15 MPG, and that was probably unacceptable to joe.

we will not be getting any good guards from the portal unless Judah leaves us high and dry.

for 10 to 15 mpg, I think we can get be adequately between taylor and cope. Our real need is frontcourt. We need a solid plus starter caliber portal guy to really solidify the roster.

yeah, between bell, Malik, and cope somebody might make the jump, but a plus starter transfer might really bring it all together for sure.

Yeah def, I love jockey. Other than the quarry trail put a crack in my carbon bike last year lol.

HA!!! LOL!!

My buddy Dan did the same to his bike on that same trail!

We've got 2 running jokes with him now regarding that:
1 - any Jockey ride he shows up to, we say we're going to do the quarry trail, and in both directions.
2 - if he hasn't ridden in a while, my reply to that is "well, that bike ain't gonna break itself"!! :p

It's a given that Red has had individual conversations with each player and has discussed the overall team vision as well as each player's fit in the system and their development needs. Since the portal was only intended to benefit the players with options (and only players are the decision makers), unless there's an early commitment on the player's part there's always going to be an extended period of uncertainty for all programs. Coaches do their best to explore options, but beyond that it will always be a waiting game that has to work itself out.

it-s-a-free-for-all-prd00qiyr62kh5vn.gif

I doubt keeping joe was an option. I believe that red thinks Judah will return, so he probably told joe he would be third guard getting 10 to 15 MPG, and that was probably unacceptable to joe.

we will not be getting any good guards from the portal unless Judah leaves us high and dry.

for 10 to 15 mpg, I think we can get be adequately between taylor and cope. Our real need is frontcourt. We need a solid plus starter caliber portal guy to really solidify the roster.

yeah, between bell, Malik, and cope somebody might make the jump, but a plus starter transfer might really bring it all together for sure.
Believe that you have to be practical and realize that transfers are looking for a place where they can have playing time to demonstrate their abilities. At the guard position, Syracuse potentially have Judah Mintz and JJ Starling as the probable starters with currently Copeland and JT backing them up. If Judah comes back (which we all hope he does) then he and Starling will each have 30-35 minutes leaving JT and Quadir ea 5-10 minutes of playing time. Would a highly regarded guard from the transfer portal come in for such a little amount of playing time (JT would have to move to SF)?

A transfer like Chance Westry who is still unproven could find time as a SF as a 3rd guard in a 3 guard line up. Otherwise, he will have to compete with JT, Chris Bell, Benny Williams for time at SF.

Syracuse is weak at the PF/C where Malik Brown, Benny Williams, Peter Carey, Hima and William Patterson will compete. Patterson is an unknown that may be a project. Carey has not played in the last two years due to injury. Hima has defensive abilities but offensive is limited to put basis. A lot of hope is based on Benny, however hope is not a strategy. Malik has a good motor and can rebound but have not seen much of an offensive game.

We could use a good rebounder from the portal that can score.

Even more so than with the FB portal, there's going to potentially be a lot of BB players left without anywhere to go.

Believe that you have to be practical and realize that transfers are looking for a place where they can have playing time to demonstrate their abilities. At the guard position, Syracuse potentially have Judah Mintz and JJ Starling as the probable starters with currently Copeland and JT backing them up. If Judah comes back (which we all hope he does) then he and Starling will each have 30-35 minutes leaving JT and Quadir ea 5-10 minutes of playing time. Would a highly regarded guard from the transfer portal come in for such a little amount of playing time (JT would have to move to SF)?

A transfer like Chance Westry who is still unproven could find time as a SF as a 3rd guard in a 3 guard line up. Otherwise, he will have to compete with JT, Chris Bell, Benny Williams for time at SF.

Syracuse is weak at the PF/C where Malik Brown, Benny Williams, Peter Carey, Hima and William Patterson will compete. Patterson is an unknown that may be a project. Carey has not played in the last two years due to injury. Hima has defensive abilities but offensive is limited to put basis. A lot of hope is based on Benny, however hope is not a strategy. Malik has a good motor and can rebound but have not seen much of an offensive game.

We could use a good rebounder from the portal that can score.
If we play up tempo and man defense, nobody is getting 35 minutes. I doubt they get 30.