2023-24 Portal Options | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Whats the deal with Jaden Bradley are him and JJ tight if Judah leaves? Can't imagine he'd come here to be part of a 3rd guard offense but if starting PG is on the table we have to be an attractive spot?

Whats the deal with Jaden Bradley are him and JJ tight if Judah leaves? Can't imagine he'd come here to be part of a 3rd guard offense but if starting PG is on the table we have to be an attractive spot?
Don't hold your breath with Bradley.

Yeah the Patterson commitment is a bizarre allocation of a scholarship when we already have Hima and Carey.
I was going to pose the question earlier this week: what does Patterson’s future look like given the coaching and scheme change? I think Griff really liked him, so maybe he will be a piece even without the zone? Wondering what people think.

Folks Red is just getting started. Everything won't happen in the first 2 weeks. Give the guy some time here. He literally just moved into his office. He is already doing some promising things with JJ andtop target on campus right now. FFS give the guy some time to implement. Let's see what the team composition looks like in October, who he has recruited and how some early season scrimmages look to see what Red is running and who upped their game in the offseason. LOTS OF TIME, let him do his job.

I was going to pose the question earlier this week: what does Patterson’s future look like given the coaching and scheme change? I think Griff really liked him, so maybe he will be a piece even without the zone? Wondering what people think.

Great question. It's going to be really interesting to see what the system changes will be, and how that might change the type of personnel we target.

The way centers HAVE been used for the zone -- and the attributes we've targeted in the past -- might not fit the new mold. For example, maybe we'll be playing pressure man defense, and Red will go after beefier 6-9 guys [like Arinze] who are better scorers.

What does that mean for Patterson? Time will tell. Kid is a really good athlete. Maybe he's got potential to outshoot his recruiting ranking and turn into a good player, irrespective of the system change.

Ditto Carey, although Carey may also have a home at the 4.

But I don't think we'll be targeting jumping jack rim protectors who are beanpoles, and lack other discernible skills anymore, like we have in the program's recent history.

Vecenie says we could have the best offensive backcourt in the ACC if Judah returns, but also says we still have to fill out the roster in the front court.
“A native of upstate New York, Starling is the perfect commitment to jumpstart the Adrian Autry era in Syracuse. He’ll either be a perfect replacement for Judah Mintz in the backcourt if Mintz decides to turn pro, or could even work together with Mintz to form what might be the best offensive backcourt in the ACC next season. The Orange have a long way to go to fill out the roster around Starling, as they’ll need to hit the portal hard for frontcourt players and wings. But it’s hard to envision a better start than getting one of the best transfers on the market to commit in your first month on the job.”

If Judah stays in the draft, Bradley or Estrada would be great replacements. Both are listed among the top 15 transfers and get high praise here for their ability to create off the bounce and their PG skills. Exactly what we need if Judah doesn’t come back. Estrada wanted to come here out of high school and when he transferred the first time. I don’t see why we wouldn’t go after him, if we can’t get Bradley.

Musical chairs.

I don’t mean this negatively, but this is exactly it and I’m fine with it.

None of these dudes are A++ and that’s ok. I’ve made my peace with it.

It’s like the NBA. These teams will hype up the pieces they’ve secured but if you don’t have a top flight star, going to be tough (I say as UConn and SDSU just played for a chip).

Vecenie says we could have the best offensive backcourt in the ACC if Judah returns, but also says we still have to fill out the roster in the front court.
“A native of upstate New York, Starling is the perfect commitment to jumpstart the Adrian Autry era in Syracuse. He’ll either be a perfect replacement for Judah Mintz in the backcourt if Mintz decides to turn pro, or could even work together with Mintz to form what might be the best offensive backcourt in the ACC next season. The Orange have a long way to go to fill out the roster around Starling, as they’ll need to hit the portal hard for frontcourt players and wings. But it’s hard to envision a better start than getting one of the best transfers on the market to commit in your first month on the job.”

If Judah stays in the draft, Bradley or Estrada would be great replacements. Both are listed among the top 15 transfers and get high praise here for their ability to create off the bounce and their PG skills. Exactly what we need if Judah doesn’t come back. Estrada wanted to come here out of high school and when he transferred the first time. I don’t see why we wouldn’t go after him, if we can’t get Bradley.
I'm sure Bradley and Estrada will be on there teams by then

WOAH did not expect Michigan. Heard Memphis was leader early on

Not surprised, heard it was down to them and Missouri. I'm sure Juwan will be able to coach him up, lol.

This is likely accurate. I know we want to hype up our guys but if we are serious about winning some upgrades need to be made.