2023-24 Portal Options | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Once UConn has ended their season there’s been some talk that Andre Jackson may have interest in transferring in here (apparently he and Hurley are tired of each other, imagine that?). Terrific defender and athlete, good rebounder and passer but not a shooter.

Once UConn has ended their season there’s been some talk that Andre Jackson may have interest in transferring in here (apparently he and Hurley are tired of each other, imagine that?). Terrific defender and athlete, good rebounder and passer but not a shooter.
Really ? Seems like a Hurley fav

I saw a mock draft that actually has Jackson going first round this year somehow.

I saw him play in the big east tournament this and he may be one of the best athletes in college basketball. He’s really a point forward who does everything well except shoot.

Pretty sure he is publicly quoted saying he is staying at UConn for 4 years. An article that was published on The Athletic not long ago.

Starting caliber forward and a center -- especially if Jesse doesn't return.

Would also like to see us add another guard, in light of Symir's departure.

I expect Red to use a different type of bench rotation / substitution pattern than JB. Which means that we can accommodate a bigger bench of contributors.

Starting caliber forward and a center -- especially if Jesse doesn't return.

Would also like to see us add another guard, in light of Symir's departure.

I expect Red to use a different type of bench rotation / substitution pattern than JB. Which means that we can accommodate a bigger bench of contributors.
Not sure getting another guard makes sense, if you think Copeland can provide 10-15 minutes per game.

Plus, I believe Taylor would be fine at that position as well for a spell. I think he can become a pretty good bench option as a sophomore.

We do need another forward, IMO, and a ready-to-play one at that. Not sold on Bell as a 30 mpg guy. If Jesse comes back, I am fine with the current construct. If we do play more man, you might also see Maliq Brown playing an undersized 5 position against teams who don’t have a true center.

I would say forward is my #1 need on the list, with center shifting to that position if Edwards isn’t back.

Not sure getting another guard makes sense, if you think Copeland can provide 10-15 minutes per game.

Plus, I believe Taylor would be fine at that position as well for a spell. I think he can become a pretty good bench option as a sophomore.

We do need another forward, IMO, and a ready-to-play one at that. Not sold on Bell as a 30 mpg guy. If Jesse comes back, I am fine with the current construct. If we do play more man, you might also see Maliq Brown playing an undersized 5 position against teams who don’t have a true center.

I would say forward is my #1 need on the list, with center shifting to that position if Edwards isn’t back.

I like Copeland -- a lot. But I'm not clear on if he's the type of player who fits what Red wants to do. I could see him wanting to employ a more Baylor-like system, where we have multiple guards who are all scorers, playmakers, and shooters. Not sure if Copeland fits the bill. But I could see him contributing at multiple positions, and the coaches are certainly familiar with what he can do -- so... maybe?

I could see Brown being an undersized 5, manning the "dunker" / rebounder / garbage man role, surrounded by four quality offensive players.

Will be interesting to see how next year's roster continues to shape up, and who we go after in the portal to replace the guys who've opted out.

I like Copeland -- a lot. But I'm not clear on if he's the type of player who fits what Red wants to do. I could see him wanting to employ a more Baylor-like system, where we have multiple guards who are all scorers, playmakers, and shooters. Not sure if Copeland fits the bill. But I could see him contributing at multiple positions, and the coaches are certainly familiar with what he can do -- so... maybe?

I could see Brown being an undersized 5, manning the "dunker" / rebounder / garbage man role, surrounded by four quality offensive players.

Will be interesting to see how next year's roster continues to shape up, and who we go after in the portal to replace the guys who've opted out.
I am just glad we can have such discussions now.

Ummm...

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

John Hugley from Pitt is the kind of player I would want from the portal.

What was his injury last year? He only played 8 games.

He had a heck of a year the year before, though. 14 points and 8 rebounds a game.

If he's healthy, he might leap-frog Maliq at PF, Benny starts at SF (?), then you have Maliq & Copeland. We could use a beefy guy like that who can score and defend inside.

But we still need a couple shooters, or at least one really good one. Benny was getting better late in the year, like Judah. Taylor's got a good stroke. But wouldn't it be nice to get another Cole Swider kind of guy?

So, a Maliq Brown?

I could see Pitino taking him if he went to St. Johns. He loves small 3 point shooters.
Girard is too undisciplined for Pitino; takes too many bad shots. I don’t see it unless he is willing to subjugate his game, which I see no evidence of. Could see him going to somewhere like Sienna where he has even more free reign to shoot a gazillion times a game.

What was his injury last year? He only played 8 games.

He had a heck of a year the year before, though. 14 points and 8 rebounds a game.

If he's healthy, he might leap-frog Maliq at PF, Benny starts at SF (?), then you have Maliq & Copeland. We could use a beefy guy like that who can score and defend inside.

But we still need a couple shooters, or at least one really good one. Benny was getting better late in the year, like Judah. Taylor's got a good stroke. But wouldn't it be nice to get another Cole Swider kind of guy?
He’s had issues. Arrested for felony charges that were later dropped leading to his suspension by Pitt his freshman year. Was a very good player for Pitt his next year but this year had a preseason knee injury, has admitted some mental health issues while gaining weight etc limiting his availability and use. Young man just seems to be struggling physically and mentally. Pitt got a sophomore center transfer this year Federiko, who has done well for them in his absence and they believe fills the loss and uncertainty of Hugely at Pitt.

I don’t think we necessarily need a center if Jesse leaves. We may not play a zone as the base D. This greatly reduces the need for the classic rim protecting center type defender. We just need a bigger , athletic dude who can defend bigger players. How many teams even have a typical center anymore ?

He’s had issues. Arrested for felony charges that were later dropped leading to his suspension by Pitt his freshman year. Was a very good player for Pitt his next year but this year had a preseason knee injury, has admitted some mental health issues while gaining weight etc limiting his availability and use. Young man just seems to be struggling physically and mentally. Pitt got a sophomore center transfer this year Federiko, who has done well for them in his absence and they believe fills the loss and uncertainty of Hugely at Pitt.
Not the type of dude I’d want to saddle Autry with year one.

I don’t think we necessarily need a center if Jesse leaves. We may not play a zone as the base D. This greatly reduces the need for the classic rim protecting center type defender. We just need a bigger , athletic dude who can defend bigger players. How many teams even have a typical center anymore ?
If Jesse leaves, I would absolutely love to have Joel Soriano from St. John’s. Big man who sets a great screen, good rebounder, and a good shooter.

Reminds me of a less athletic Fab Melo

Not the type of dude I’d want to saddle Autry with year one.

I did not know any of this dirt on Hugley. All I can tell is that he is a big with some toughness and touch around the rim. We, or any team for that matter, could use that type of player.

Sounds like there is a risk involved... As the HC, Autry would assess the risk and decide whether he is going to pass or give the person a chance. Its not an easy job. He had his JJ Starling fall into his lap, now its time to work for the next pieces to complete the puzzle.

These choices are what makes the job so hard and gives coaches gray hairs & early retirements.