2023-24 Portal Options | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Pass. Was a top-30 recruit, but he then decommitted from MSU because he wanted playing time as a frosh. He got some run at ASU as a frosh, but was not good at all and then this season was relegated to the end of the bench behind a 3-star frosh.

Maybe a new program helps, but he's raw as hell and needs a lot of work. I can't imagine him going somewhere high major.

perhaps he is more than a big body and can actually play basketball?? (perhaps he isnt a high flyer, either) idk just a guess
Just like the center from Pittsburgh who killed us.

I have a feeling we’re turning our entire roster over in 2 years. It will look nothing like, and play nothing like this years team.
Feels like every high major roster turns over in 2 years : )

I’m not convinced it’s his decision to make.
05BF8E19-5F58-48DA-8D79-9BBB27E5B0C0.gif

Really thought Langel could do better than Temple...
Me too but I've only seen his name mentioned with Notre Dame. Maybe he loves upstate NY and sticks around for a couple years to see how Red does?

I couldn't believe that no A10 schools were giving him a serious look last cycle. At some point schools need to stop worrying about how well he can recruit and just trust that the guy is a winner.

Just watched Zach Hicks' portal highlight video:
The entire thing consists of spot-up 3-pointers. Looks like a good player. He'll be a Junior. I assume he would demand a starting position. Which tells me Red may be moving away from Bell at the 3. My problem is this: if we're looking for a transfer wing to start (which I'm on board for), I hope they land a do-it-all stud wing. Not sure this guy beats defenders off the dribble. Seems pretty similar to Bell, so why not just go with Bell. As a sophomore he rebounded better than Bell as a freshman. That's a big deal if Bell can't learn to rebound. If either him or Bell would settle for a bench position, then it's good to have options of shooters at the 3. If Judah and JJ start at guard, we'll definitely need shooting forwards. Both guards excel at getting to the rim, so we should surround them with shooters and I suppose it's less important for our 3 to beat guys off the dribble, although I'd really like that.

I guess I'm just wondering if we could do better at the forward position if we're moving away from our current guys. Remains to be seen whether Bell takes a big sophomore leap. His shot is pure and he's athletic. I only watched this one video, and he could be capable of more than I saw. Also it's early in the portal so it's good to see the staff building relationships, and perhaps better players enter the portal later they can pursue. I'm open to someone changing my mind.
I think the staff is just doing its due diligence here. We know Joe can shoot, but not sure if he'll be back and if he does but can't play man, he'll have a reduced role. Judah has some shooting potential, but assuming he returns I'd think the staff only wants him shooting enough to keep defenses honest. I imagine JJ will be fine there. Bell can shoot it but struggles in other parts of his game. I get that he's only played one season, but I don't know if he can become as good a rebounder as Hicks is already, which is important because someone who shoots with that kind of volume needs to be able to do other things well so that the roof doesn't cave in when their shot isn't falling.

I think Hicks and Bell are different enough that the team could roster both if they can live with the arrangement. I think Taylor would be the odd man out.

Last edited:
I think the staff is just doing its due diligence here. We know Joe can shoot, but not sure if he'll be back and if he does but can't play man, he'll have a reduced role. Judah has some shooting potential, but assuming he returns I'd think the staff only wants him shooting enough to keep defenses honest. I imagine JJ will be fine there. Bell can shoot it but struggles in other parts of his game. I get that he's only played one season, but I don't know if he can become as good a rebounder as Hicks is already, which is important because someone who shoots with that kind of volume needs to be able to do other things well so that the roof doesn't cave in when their shot isn't falling.

I think Hicks and Bell are different enough that the team could roster both if they can live with the arrangement. I think Taylor would be the odd man out.
Taylor should play guard, not forward, imo. So hicks and bell shouldnt really factor in much there, imo

The first thing St. Johns former renowned coach Lou Carnesecca told Pitino about how to have success at St. Johns -- "get better players". The same advice should be given to Red Autry.

There are now over 750 names in the transfer portal. Other than JBA, I keep waiting for our guys to jump but I hope they don't.

Too late. The entire starting five and the first guy off the bench have all hit the portal. So far. Whoever takes the Temple job is starting from scratch.
I think it makes perfect sense for those players to enter the portal. Being in the portal doesn't commit them to anything, and, if the new coach wants some, or all, of them on the squad next year, he can recruit them like anyone else. So, if the players like Temple's new hire, they can remain, and if they don't have any confidence in him, they can leave. Entering the portal only expands their options.