2023 Bracketology | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Bracketology

It just occurred to me that I should be rooting for Notre Dame against UNC, shouldn’t I?
There is sort of a duality there.
If UNC wins, they will take one of the 3 remaining at-large spots.
but on the other hand,
UNC's RPI is #13 and a win over ND might push it into the top 10, which would improve the value of Syracuse's win over UNC. Further, Syracuse has played UNC twice and ND once, so a UNC win would help Syracuse's RPI a little bit.

It’s official now.

One last chance for all of Rutgers, UNC, and Syracuse.

Tick tock, tick tock.

It’s official now.

One last chance for all of Rutgers, UNC, and Syracuse.

Tick tock, tick tock.
Michigan could perhaps get to that position if they can beat OSU in the first round of the Big Ten tmt next weekend - then they would get a shot at the #1 seed in the Big Ten tmt.

since the beginning of time, maybe, uva has played at least 1 in-state school. for the longest time (since w&l went d3 or d3 teams were no longer allowed at least), vmi had to be that team. thank god for richmond. i don't believe the keydets were ever small-partially responsible for the hoos not getting in, but they certainly could've been.
Into the 80s, W&L did the JHU thing of being D-1 in lacrosse and D-3 in everything else. Then they took their lacrosse team back to D-3 as well. I don't think D-1 is allowed to play D-3 during the regular season. The W&L-VMI "rivalry game" got moved to the fall as a scrimmage.

looks like a very interesting bubble. 2 or 3 spots available as of now, depending on how yale is viewed and some chaos in tournaments. villanova, denver, princeton maybe look like potential bid stealers (& marquette?). don't see any of the bottom 3 taking the b1g.

yale (vs. harvard), unc (vs. notre dame), rutgers (vs. maryland), cuse (vs. duke) all might be in win and in, lose and out territory.

princeton has entered the picture too. if they beat cornell, that might be enough to (gasp) get 4 ivy teams in. or at least for the tigers to take one of the others' spot.

the big east is interesting. nova and denver look like they're on a collison course for the conference semis. winner of that probably gets in? loser will need a lot of help. i can't see all three getting in.

if i could be any bubble team right now i might want to be nova. they have gtown this weekend and then probably denver the week after in the BE tourney and then maybe a second crack at gtown. that's at minimum two more quality win opportunities and neither will ding the RPI. most of these other teams only have one more bite at the apple. with things this close i'd rather be the team with multiple guaranteed opportunities. they also have the elusive TWO top 10 wins (psu and penn). none of these other teams have two, some have none.

did Lax get rid of the .500 rule for a bid?

OSU beats Mich and doesnt win the tourney neither can get to .500

if Princeton loses they have to win the first rd Ivy to stay over .500 and Penn needs to beat Albany to do it too.

So if we are going by numbers , I like our chances..
2016-2023
We are 4-3, 4 OT Games +4 goals
6 of those 7 games were 1 goal games

6447e88fc8720.png

Syracuse faces daunting at-large chances even with a victory at Duke to close out the regular season. The Orange’s hopes probably ended with Saturday’s 19-12 loss at Virginia.

Albany, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s-METRO ATLANTIC/Manhattan
(8) Penn vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Albany, N.Y.
(5) Johns Hopkins vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah
(4) BIG TEN/Penn State vs. PATRIOT/Army

Annapolis, Md.
(3) Virginia vs. AMERICA EAST/Vermont
(6) Maryland vs. Yale

Annapolis, Md.
(7) IVY/Cornell vs. Denver
(2) Duke vs. COLONIAL/Delaware

Last three included: Penn, Yale, Denver

First three on the outside: Villanova, North Carolina, Rutgers
Moving in: Denver, Manhattan

Moving out: Mount St. Mary’s, North Carolina
Conference call: Atlantic Coast (3), Big Ten (3), Ivy (3), Big East (2)

Ivy in an interesting spot.. Could they get to 4 teams?

Is Cornell a lock even if they lose the next 2?
Say Princeton runs the table or goes 2-1 and wins the IVY do they get in?
How secure is Yale if they beat Albany and lose to Cornell/Princeton next week?

Ivy in an interesting spot.. Could they get to 4 teams?

Is Cornell a lock even if they lose the next 2?
Say Princeton runs the table or goes 2-1 and wins the IVY do they get in?
How secure is Yale if they beat Albany and lose to Cornell/Princeton next week?
i can see them getting 3 but not 4. somebody, whether it's denver or nova or rutgers or unc (or cuse??) is going to have a better resume than the 4th ivy team. i would be shocked if none of them do. if princeton builds a resume over the next two weeks that is tournament worthy, it might very well come at the expense of one of the other ivy teams like penn

cornell is a lock for the field at this point BUT losing the next two probably loses them a home game

if princeton beats cornell, then beats yale in the ivy semis, but then loses in the championship game, they'll have a real good shot but it will depend on what other teams have done and what their RPI would be. right now it's 18. if they beat cornell it will jump up to 13 or 14 probably. then if they win the ivy semifinal they could crack the top 10. at that point they would be in and bump out a team like penn or denver

yale is in if they make the ivy tournament. if they don't, andy shay can book his may tee times

Syracuse faces daunting at-large chances even with a victory at Duke to close out the regular season. The Orange’s hopes probably ended with Saturday’s 19-12 loss at Virginia.

Albany, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s-METRO ATLANTIC/Manhattan
(8) Penn vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Albany, N.Y.
(5) Johns Hopkins vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah
(4) BIG TEN/Penn State vs. PATRIOT/Army

Annapolis, Md.
(3) Virginia vs. AMERICA EAST/Vermont
(6) Maryland vs. Yale

Annapolis, Md.
(7) IVY/Cornell vs. Denver
(2) Duke vs. COLONIAL/Delaware

Last three included: Penn, Yale, Denver

First three on the outside: Villanova, North Carolina, Rutgers
Moving in: Denver, Manhattan

Moving out: Mount St. Mary’s, North Carolina
Conference call: Atlantic Coast (3), Big Ten (3), Ivy (3), Big East (2)
I had a rant a couple of years ago about how silly the playoff format really is. Teams are ranked by media and the coaches all season and then they go into conference tourneys and reward mediocre teams that win their conference. Using the above potential brackets, Delaware, Vermont, Utah and St Joe's all make it into the final 16. Even Georgetown as potential Big East winner hasn't beaten anyone of note. I think we would agree that Cuse would most likely beat any of those teams. The whole equity, diversity and inclusion thing of having conference winners is supposed to be good for the game blah blah but it really hurts the integrity of the game. If they win their conference, that is their reward. Don't take away multiple playoff spots from better teams.

I had a rant a couple of years ago about how silly the playoff format really is. Teams are ranked by media and the coaches all season and then they go into conference tourneys and reward mediocre teams that win their conference. Using the above potential brackets, Delaware, Vermont, Utah and St Joe's all make it into the final 16. Even Georgetown as potential Big East winner hasn't beaten anyone of note. I think we would agree that Cuse would most likely beat any of those teams. The whole equity, diversity and inclusion thing of having conference winners is supposed to be good for the game blah blah but it really hurts the integrity of the game. If they win their conference, that is their reward. Don't take away multiple playoff spots from better teams.
The decision was made many years ago to let the "lesser" conferences be represented in the NCAA tournament, just as they are in basketball. The best 16 lacrosse teams are not in the lax tournament any more than the best 68 are in the hoops extravaganza.

And "equity, diversity and inclusion" have nothing to do with NCAA tournaments. That discussion belongs on the Off-Topic Forum.

Hobart and Albany having abysmal years has hurt SU as well. They don't have a single quality win among them.

I guess the NFC South Champion should have been excluded from last year's playoffs.

Prime example of when the regular eye-roll emoji just isn't enough...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The AQ came about because Butler(?)/Bucknell(?) was an undefeated conference champion and didn't get a bid. John Desko was on the committee that year and said he was shocked they weren't in; he had assumed they'd get a bid. Supposedly the reps from schools that get AQs now shot them down. (IIRC, Desko was the only rep from one of the traditional powers.) The lacrosse committee (after a great deal of criticism) decided the situation was unsat and came up with the AQ rules we have now.

The AQ came about because Butler(?)/Bucknell(?) was an undefeated conference champion and didn't get a bid. John Desko was on the committee that year and said he was shocked they weren't in; he had assumed they'd get a bid. Supposedly the reps from schools that get AQs now shot them down. (IIRC, Desko was the only rep from one of the traditional powers.) The lacrosse committee (after a great deal of criticism) decided the situation was unsat and came up with the AQ rules we have now.

Bucknell in 1996 I think it was you're recalling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom