2023 Coaching Carousel | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Coaching Carousel

Any chance providence college grad Richard Pitino gets a look at PC? I'm curious how they go on this? Would Billy D come back for a price
Richard hasn't had very much time to get off the ground at UNM.

As for the Providence job itself, I don't know why any established HC would want it. There seems to be a definitive ceiling to that program as long as it's in the Big East, especially now that UConn is back to being a force, Shaka's doing well at Marquette, Creighton is regularly competitive and GTown and St. John's may not be far behind with their new HC hires. One would also think that Nova won't be down for long either.

Soo, two rivals hire two top coaches with very successful track records in areas we need to recruit. Next year could possibly have multiple big jobs opening such as UNC, Kentucky, Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, Florida, etc.

Going to have to hope Red was the right pick because if he doesn’t succeed, we will be very much behind the 8 ball in 3-4 years.

Mark Schmidt to Providence could be something. Played at BC. From Mass.
Maybe. Kim English is a name that's getting some play as a highly skilled communicator with some AC experience and New England roots who is still young enough to relate to today's players and could be ready for his first big job. Langel should probably get a call too but I think he's better off waiting.

I just think PC is a really tough job in terms of resources, fan expectations and appeal. It speaks volumes that everyone is in awe of the job Cooley did there, yet he never won 25 games as Providence HC. If whoever they get strings together some 20-win seasons with a tournament win or two I think they'll be out the door pretty quickly.

Maybe. Kim English is a name that's getting some play as a highly skilled communicator with some AC experience and New England roots who is still young enough to relate to today's players and could be ready for his first big job. Langel should probably get a call too but I think he's better off waiting.

I just think PC is a really tough job in terms of resources, fan expectations and appeal. It speaks volumes that everyone is in awe of the job Cooley did there, yet he never won 25 games as Providence HC. If whoever they get strings together some 20-win seasons with a tournament win or two I think they'll be out the door pretty quickly.
Kim English isn’t half the coach Schmidt or Langel is.

Soo, two rivals hire two top coaches with very successful track records in areas we need to recruit. Next year could possibly have multiple big jobs opening such as UNC, Kentucky, Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, Florida, etc.

Going to have to hope Red was the right pick because if he doesn’t succeed, we will be very much behind the 8 ball in 3-4 years.

Howard isn't getting fired at Michigan.

I think next year is the clear cut year you don't want to coach shop UNC and Louisville are automatic Nova is highly likely and Kentucky, Ohio State, and Florida all aren't schools to wait around.

We aren't going to be hiring a coach next offseason.

Kim English isn’t half the coach Schmidt or Langel is.

Red hot young coach who's stock is currently the highest of anyones in the A10 should be good enough for PC remember they are going through worst case scenario and don't even have the option of hiring anyone who has had anything to do with Cooley or the program the last 12 years.

Only problem is English jumps in 2 years if he wins.

But they are probably putting a brand new team together. I'd want a guy who knows those lower leagues well.

I for one am stunned Ed Cooley went to Georgetown smh, he was a providence guy all the way, that being said that is a home run hire for them and it disgusts me. Listen Red might be great he already got an impactful transfer, but thinking about the coaches that were actually willing to jump ship Pitino, Ed Cooley i mean we should have at least kicked the tires on those guys, if there was no interest then fine, but seems like we simply settled. Only time will tell.

Howard isn't getting fired at Michigan.

I think next year is the clear cut year you don't want to coach shop UNC and Louisville are automatic Nova is highly likely and Kentucky, Ohio State, and Florida all aren't schools to wait around.

We aren't going to be hiring a coach next offseason.

I understand we are not hiring a coach next year. But if a ton of jobs come open; up and coming coaches are getting snagged and will not jump after 1-2 years at the new job if we have to make an immediate change year 3 or 4.

Also, if Howard has another bad year. That would be missing the tournament 3 out of 5 years and 3 straight seasons of 15, 16, and then however many losses to not make the tournament. I’m not sure Michigan would hold on to him. That would be 1 good year in 5 years and missing the tournament more than making it.

Cooley was an assistant under Al Skinner at BC I’m pretty sure. The way Al was treated by BC, I imagine Cooley wouldn’t be a fan to return.
IDK. The AD who fired both Skinner and Jagodzinski had retired by the time they were looking for coaches. One would think that the athletic and academic sides of the house could make valid arguments that the situation was totally different now.

I don't think this works out I have never seen a coach take a step down and go to a worse job that is a rival and regular opponent.

PC hoops is supported by the city the same way SU hoops is by Syracuse. Yes Cooley is a big part of that.

He was clearly frustrated that he hadn't been able to leave and get a better job over the last decade and had to take the first thing offered. Very few coaches want to stay somewhere forever. Weird move.

Another great thing to happen for Uconn just like St Marys losing their best player who got hurt literally standing around waiting for a pass doing nothing. This is amazing for them.
georgetown is down but a much bigger program in the NCAA landscape

theres a low glass ceiling on what can be accomplished at Providence, imo

Cooley will make it happen at Gtown, imo

I’d donate everything in my life to Seth Davis if this actually happened that’s how confident I am in the reverse of what he says.

Ryan Gomes is a PC alum and coaches the other G league super team for high school kids and I don't think he'd leave that for his alma mater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom