Men's Soccer - 2023 Commits / Transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer 2023 Commits / Transfers

Talked to Greg today. He is recovering from his heart attack. He keeps in touch with the program and is doubtful that Nathan will be back. But he also says that we will be very good next year. There transfers according to Greg, are very good.
I feel dumb. Who is Greg? Have you heard anything regarding Giona Liebold? I believe it was Giona who bumped Curt from the starting line-up. I believe Curt left to be closer to home and his leaving was a family thing, and not related to playing time. I would think Curt would have started @ SU this year. He was a big loss. Hope he does well, despite playing for Rutgers, lol.

I feel dumb. Who is Greg? Have you heard anything regarding Giona Liebold? I believe it was Giona who bumped Curt from the starting line-up. I believe Curt left to be closer to home and his leaving was a family thing, and not related to playing time. I would think Curt would have started @ SU this year. He was a big loss. Hope he does well, despite playing for Rutgers, lol.
Greg is one of the best players in Syracuse soccer history.

He recently suffered a heart attack. Greg is from the same town as dash.

Also wish only the best for Curt, who was terrific for Syracuse during his time here. He was huge in the NCAA tournament. Gonna miss him next season.

Giona was in that first spring practice video that was recently released on Instagram. I believe he will be back for the '23 season.

IMG_3310.jpeg

I wanted to share 3 stories. One might save your life. The first, I was talking to Greg K about his heart attack. I asked if it hurt. He said, not a bit. He just felt more dizzy that he had ever felt in his life. His first thought was to go lie down. If he had done that, which is exactly what I would have done, he would be dead. He called 911 and the docs at the hospital saved his life. Don't be afraid to call 911.
Second, Greg's dream school was...UConn They had just won a national title in soccer and he went to their camp. He was told while he was very talented, he wasn't a leader. 2 years later, he scored the winning goal against UConn at Uconn in the Big East title game.
And lastly, it's 1981. Uconn beat us in hoop at uconn. Grege rubbed it in to me. All I said was they didn't give out the big trophy today Greg. Later, they beat us at Syracuse. Once again greg rubbed it in. Once again, I said they didn't give out the big trophy today greg. Later, we won the Big East tournament. I called him , he said hello and I just said, they gave out the big trophy today Greg. And hung up.

Greg is one of the best players in Syracuse soccer history.

He recently suffered a heart attack. Greg is from the same town as dash.

Also wish only the best for Curt, who was terrific for Syracuse during his time here. He was huge in the NCAA tournament. Gonna miss him next season.
Greg probably knows Zoran Psenicik. Zoran played high school soccer for Chittenango and went on to play for SU in 1986. Chittenango soccer was ranked pretty high in the state in the mid 80's through the mid 90's. I was one of only a handful of players on the Chittenango soccer team that did not go on to play collegiate soccer at some level.

Greg was lucky to have the mindset to call 911. I probably would have also chose to lie down if dizziness was the only symptom.

Early in this thread there were two names that I haven't seen made official. They were Daniel Diaz-Bonilla and Gabriel Mikina. I wonder if they are still coming?

Last edited:
Early in this thread there were two names that I haven't seen made official. Thewy were Daniel Diaz-Bonilla and Gabriel Mikina. I wonder if they are still coming?
Good question. Diaz-Bonilla was Maryland player of the year his senior year of HS and played in the HS AA game. His Instagram profile says he is Syracuse 2024.

Good question. Diaz-Bonilla was Maryland player of the year his senior year of HS and played in the HS AA game. His Instagram profile says he is Syracuse 2024.

Up above it said he was all ivy. So...he was at Princeton, why would it take him another year to get to Syracuse?

Up above it said he was all ivy. So...he was at Princeton, why would it take him another year to get to Syracuse?

Daniel Diaz-Bonilla
Princeton Soccer ‘23 | Syracuse Soccer ‘24

He's finishing up his 4 year degree at Princeton this Spring, and he's enrolling in Grad School at Syracuse this Fall?

Daniel Diaz-Bonilla

He's finishing up his 4 year degree at Princeton this Spring, and he's enrolling in Grad School at Syracuse this Fall?
Makes a lot of sense.

Looks like Mikina took down his instagram post. I would assume that means he changed his mind and is staying put.

Daniel Diaz-Bonilla

makes sense. Hope so.

Did we know that Syracuse has a transfer coming in from Michigan?

Tried to find posts about him and got nothing, so maybe not.

His name is Nick Kaloukian. He is a forward from Wayne Hills (NJ). Made the B1G All Frosh team in 2022.

I would think he has a very good chance to start.

Wasn't there also a transfer for Princeton that didn't show up on our
spring transfers?

Wasn't there also a transfer for Princeton that didn't show up on our
spring transfers?
Yes. Daniel Diaz Bonilla was his name.

There is an Instagram account that still says Syracuse is his new school.

He was a senior last year so maybe he is taking his COVID year at SU?

No idea. But he sounds like a fine young man.

Despite Superb Effort by Senior Star Diaz Bonilla, PU Men’s Soccer Falls to Yale in New Stadium Debut | Town Topics

Last edited:
I have no clue about Daniel Diaz Bonilla— like tomcat said, his bio still has ‘Cuse in it, but he did not travel with the team to England. Upon looking online the commencement date for undergrads was May 30th so perhaps he’s showing up on campus late.

Looks like Gabriel Mikina from Niagara actually did come to ‘Cuse afterall; he was pictured in those England trip pics. Looks like we also picked up goalie Jason Smith from UVU, Felipe D’Agostini from D3 Oral Roberts, and Josh Belluz from Villanova.

I have no clue about Daniel Diaz Bonilla— like tomcat said, his bio still has ‘Cuse in it, but he did not travel with the team to England. Upon looking online the commencement date for undergrads was May 30th so perhaps he’s showing up on campus late.

Looks like Gabriel Mikina from Niagara actually did come to ‘Cuse afterall; he was pictured in those England trip pics. Looks like we also picked up goalie Jason Smith from UVU, Felipe D’Agostini from D3 Oral Roberts, and Josh Belluz from Villanova.
This Josh Belluz is a heck of a defender. Plus, it seems the other two new guys are very good as well. It looks like we have another powerful team. And we are going to need it. The ACC in soccer is what the SEC thinks it is in football. 6 teams in the pre season top 11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom