2023 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead

I'm not even worried about it I think with the kids here now young and older if they stay healthy this team will be a very good team next season. Some of these freshman will definitely be ready and step up then with the transfers plus Hiltz back. Having a better goalie is gonna be huge. Like we all say Fogo is the only position that could really bring this team down.

The difference is your talking about 1 4 or 5 star player seeing major minutes in each example. We were talking about depending on 5 or 6 seeing major minutes and how that could potentially be an issue. I think its clear that any incoming frosh at a position of need is going to see a lot of time next season be it Spallina, Thomson, Kempney, multiple long poles like Dwan etc. I don't know anyone who is against playing the frosh, there is however, some concern about running a half dozen plus out there.

I don't see difference between playing one freshmen and multiple freshmen for major minutes unless the administration is really worried about wins and losses. I'm not, nor should the administration be, if the long view is the focus. Sustained success is more important to me than our record thus coming season. Competing for championships consistently is more important than winning or losing this season.

If this team loses this next season half this board will want Gait fired and then like all coaching changes kids will transfer out and it could get ugly. Idk I think this team needs to try and win next season all while developing the young guys. Their is plenty of opportunity for young guys to play. The ones who are ready will play. No reason this team can't go all out next season and number 1 goal is winning. The best play and that will also push these young guys. Not hand them a job just so they can play and develop while sitting a senior who is more prepared at the moment to play and produce. The freshman who are ready and earn playing time will play.

Deserves more than 2 years and a chance to get some of his own classes in. If after 4 years the team still stinks then time to move on. If you send him packing after only 2 seasons then you're sending a message to all future coaches that they're not going to get a fair shot.

That said, if after 2 years they still aren't winning then he's probably got to shake up his staff a little bit, similar to what Pete Milliman just did at Hopkins replacing the OC. That would likely mean either Petro or March is let go. Getting admittedly ahead of ourselves here.

I agree but their will be plenty screaming for him to be fired. I doubt they have another terrible season anyway.

Deserves more than 2 years and a chance to get some of his own classes in. If after 4 years the team still stinks then time to move on. If you send him packing after only 2 seasons then you're sending a message to all future coaches that they're not going to get a fair shot.

That said, if after 2 years they still aren't winning then he's probably got to shake up his staff a little bit, similar to what Pete Milliman just did at Hopkins replacing the OC. That would likely mean either Petro or March is let go. Getting admittedly ahead of ourselves here.
The coaching staff should be on a short leash for 2023. If we see anything even remotely similar to 2022 - especially the consistent inconsistency at all position except F/O - the AD needs to address it quickly and concisely. This is not the time or sport to play the long game. SU you can get right back up to top 10 status next year and have the talent to do so.

When we went 0-6 in the last 6 games of 2022, Gait never took sole responsibility for the losses. He often pointed to a shortage of on-field talent - that must have made his players feel real good about themselves. It's not surprising that Tucker left. Gait's strong ego might have been an asset as a player but may not work out coaching High D1 Men's Lacrosse.

Last coaching change was 1999. Desko takes over for Roy Jr. 1998 record 11-3, 1999 record, 12-5 (played UVA in final I think), 2000 record 15-1 (wins final).

Gait takes over for Desko in 2022. 2021 record 7-6. 2022 record 4-10. 2023 record tbd.

I agree but their will be plenty screaming for him to be fired. I doubt they have another terrible season anyway.
The first calls on here for firing gait were when it was 4-1 Army in game 4 of the season so yeah there will be plenty of screaming.

The coaching staff should be on a short leash for 2023. If we see anything even remotely similar to 2022 - especially the consistent inconsistency at all position except F/O - the AD needs to address it quickly and concisely. This is not the time or sport to play the long game. SU you can get right back up to top 10 status next year and have the talent to do so.

When we went 0-6 in the last 6 games of 2022, Gait never took sole responsibility for the losses. He often pointed to a shortage of on-field talent - that must have made his players feel real good about themselves. It's not surprising that Tucker left. Gait's strong ego might have been an asset as a player but may not work out coaching High D1 Men's Lacrosse.

Last coaching change was 1999. Desko takes over for Roy Jr. 1998 record 11-3, 1999 record, 12-5 (played UVA in final I think), 2000 record 15-1 (wins final).

Gait takes over for Desko in 2022. 2021 record 7-6. 2022 record 4-10. 2023 record tbd.

The ACC, Maryland, and a bunch of Ivies, spent the better part of the last 4-5 years completely out recruiting the Orange. It should have been a surprise to no one when the results on the field mirrored that. I doubt Gait is the x's and o's guy Desko was. Of course it was going to get ugly at times.

SU has a lot of recruiting disadvantages at this time (hard to believe, but it's true). The only way this program gets to be top 10 (or better) consistently again is by playing and recruiting with swagger.

Gait said three years. He deserves at least that.

Last edited:
The ACC, Maryland, and a bunch of Ivies, spent the better part of the last 4-5 years completely out recruiting the Orange. It should have been a surprise to no one when the results on the field mirrored that. I doubt Gait is the x's and o's guy Desko was. Of course it was going to get ugly at times.

SU has a lot of recruiting disadvantages at this time (hard to believe, but it's true). The only way this program gets to be top 10 (or better) consistently again is by playing and recruiting with swagger.

Gait said three years. He deserves at least that.
The biggest disadvantage is cost. Lacrosse scholarships only cover small percentage of the cost to attend SU (only 12.6 for the team). Some student athletes may want to attend but end up somewhere else because of the economics. SU is not the most generous when it comes to aid packages and the Ivies have large endowments that fund their financial aid packages, so besides the better education, the Ivies can be cheaper than SU to attend.

The biggest disadvantage is cost. Lacrosse scholarships only cover small percentage of the cost to attend SU (only 12.6 for the team). Some student athletes may want to attend but end up somewhere else because of the economics. SU is not the most generous when it comes to aid packages and the Ivies have large endowments that fund their financial aid packages, so besides the better education, the Ivies can be cheaper than SU to attend.
This is true. Experienced this with one of our kids. - I would like to see a smaller rosters for mens & women's. teams. This would likely free up aid for players.

This is true. Experienced this with one of our kids. - I would like to see a smaller rosters for mens & women's. teams. This would likely free up aid for players.
Why do the D1 men's rosters need 40-60 players ?

Regarding tuition, it should be noted that out-of- state tuitions are significantly higher than in-state for state schools...

ACC

ND 58k
Duke 57k
SU 56k
UVA 53k
UNC 37k

Last edited:
So is Joe Terenzi likely to be an impact freshman at UVA?

We also get some new highlights of the #2"recruit Dom Pietramala. UNC really needs him to be an impact freshman. Who will score more this coming spring Spallina or Pietramala?

We also get some new highlights of the #2"recruit Dom Pietramala. UNC really needs him to be an impact freshman. Who will score more this coming spring Spallina or Pietramala?

I would put money on Dom Petro having more points to be honest. Doesn’t mean he’s the better player but Syracuse has a lot more offensive depth than UNC right now. Also they have better a better faceoff situation so that means more scoring opportunities. I do think both players will have pretty good opening campaigns.

I am not sure offensive depth is a disadvantage as it spreads out the defense and gives one, better players to pass too.
I am not really sure what UNC"s depth will be. They have picked up 2 solid transfers in McGovern and Wellford to go with Tillman. Perhaps Herbert is gone. Some of those 5-star freshmen from last year might step it up as sophomores - it's not uncommon for midfielders to take a year getting their feet wet. Then you have the other 5-star attackman, Matan, in this year's class.

So is Joe Terenzi likely to be an impact freshman at UVA?

i'm not sure he's can't miss like he was a year or 2 ago. uva has typically been 1-frosh-at-a-time into the 1st 6 rotation, and it would maybe be between him and sunderland or maybe colsey.

they've got 5 of the top 6 back, and add mcconvey. so maybe 2nd line minutes is all that's available, and they have a lot of options.

i'm not sure he's can't miss like he was a year or 2 ago. uva has typically been 1-frosh-at-a-time into the 1st 6 rotation, and it would maybe be between him and sunderland or maybe colsey.

they've got 5 of the top 6 back, and add mcconvey. so maybe 2nd line minutes is all that's available, and they have a lot of options.
Virginia has outstanding depth returning, but they need to get better performances out of some of them. Shellenberger is outstanding, and Cormier is really good in his role as lefty finisher, but after that they don't really scare one much. Perhaps, Schutz will take a step forward, but I think they probably need one of their freshmen to come in and be an impact freshman if they are going to have a top level offense.
You can sort of see it in the stats:
Shellenberger 76 pts
Cormier 60 pts
Dickson 39 pts
Connor 32 pts
Schutz 30 pts
No one else above 13 pts.
UVa needs to find a couple of other guys, besides Shellenberger and Cormier, who can get 50+ (or at least in the 40's).

Virginia has outstanding depth returning, but they need to get better performances out of some of them. Shellenberger is outstanding, and Cormier is really good in his role as lefty finisher, but after that they don't really scare one much. Perhaps, Schutz will take a step forward, but I think they probably need one of their freshmen to come in and be an impact freshman if they are going to have a top level offense.
You can sort of see it in the stats:
Shellenberger 76 pts
Cormier 60 pts
Dickson 39 pts
Connor 32 pts
Schutz 30 pts
No one else above 13 pts.
UVa needs to find a couple of other guys, besides Shellenberger and Cormier, who can get 50+ (or at least in the 40's).
don't know about that. they scored 16.5 gpg. think 95-99% of teams will take that.

as well as 2+ pts/game on average from your 1st midfield guys. they did have another guy with big points, he graduated after getting 95% of the minutes at an att spot. which someone else will now have.

uva issues were on defense. they need to iron that ish out.

don't know about that. they scored 16.5 gpg. think 95-99% of teams will take that.

as well as 2+ pts/game on average from your 1st midfield guys. they did have another guy with big points, he graduated after getting 95% of the minutes at an att spot. which someone else will now have.

uva issues were on defense. they need to iron that ish out.
16.5 is a good average, but UVa's schedule was weaker than in the past.

20 against Lafayette and 21 against Quinnipiac and Air Force helped to push that average up. As did 20 and 21 point games against an unnamed ACC team that struggled with its defense.

UVa did have a nice outing with Brown scoring 17, but had 8 vs Duke, 9 and 12 vs UMd, 12 vs ND and 13 vs Richmond, which shows they struggled against better defenses. They also had games where they scored 11 versus High Point and UNC which shows more inconsistency. Not the numbers of a top notch offense.

16.5 is a good average, but UVa's schedule was weaker than in the past.

20 against Lafayette and 21 against Quinnipiac and Air Force helped to push that average up. As did 20 and 21 point games against an unnamed ACC team that struggled with its defense.

UVa did have a nice outing with Brown scoring 17, but had 8 vs Duke, 9 and 12 vs UMd, 12 vs ND and 13 vs Richmond, which shows they struggled against better defenses. They also had games where they scored 11 versus High Point and UNC which shows more inconsistency. Not the numbers of a top notch offense.
i don't have any problem with how you view the hoos overarching stats, you're welcome of course to them. and there is some truth to some of it. they didn't have game to game consistency, and that was going to bite them eventually, but mostly bc their d was less consistent. imo.

again, they were one of the leaders (3rd or 4th?) in goals. edit- it was 15.5, not 16.5. just about every team ever has a dispersion, bumped with weaker teams. and games they didn't hit average, that's math.

and your examples... one unc game was a lower scoring game, sometimes you don't need to push for goals in that deal. they won by 7. richmond, they had 7 first 1st quarter goals and then their fogo was in a sling. and moore pulled up i think early 2nd half. notre dame they were cruising and took foot off the gas, won comfortably it was never in doubt. what else? duke, that was right after richmond, they stunk everywhere but lasalla and moore not 100 didn't help. cuse may not have been a killer d but not many decent teams did to them what uva did thru 3 quarters.

that leaves mid-feb high point and umd games. high point has uva kryptonite, they're probably just lucky to win. maryland had a once in a generation juggernaut and uva came up small twice. to me, that was mostly d and faceoffs, but yeah... umd (2), high point and duke.

you'd typically want that number to be 2 not 4 (or 5 if you want to count getting boatraced by richmond for 3 quarters), but given umd was 2 of them it's not that bad.

on 7th guy stuff... almost no one ever gets the production that 2022 umd got out of 2-mf anymore. or scores 17 1/2 + game. brown 2016 maybe? i'd be shocked if 2023 umd does.

it's 6 guys and then others. uva had a number of guys at or around low double digits. they rotated maybe 5-6 guys for 2nd mid runs, so not surprising.

mcconvey brings in like 75 points from a midfielder (in a less competitive league). he's the impact player you're asking originally about. might be the biggest pickup for anyone this year, we'll see. also, it could've been just a couple good fall scrimmages, but mencke (redshirted) if he sees the field is slick and has a knack for piling points. plus garno probably rebounds as a shooter.

again, my personal view their offense is in a position to be in great shape. d is tbd.

Last edited:
McConvey had 74 points in 19 games. He might do very well for UVa. Although, there might be some reduction in his numbers due to stronger competition. Matt Moore had 52 points in 13 games, despite being injured for UVA. So perhaps McConvey can somewhat replace Moore. Although, Moore was much more of an assist man with 26 assists, while McConvey had just 14. I think the loss of assists and having mostly finishers could be a problem.
In the end, I am talking about having a better offense than last year, i.e., Virginia's offense will be very good, but what will make them outstanding.

you really dont know how the ivies work do you. it really depends on the school policies on whether kids get any financial aid at all going to an ivy.. Some are much better than others.

McConvey had 74 points in 19 games. He might do very well for UVa. Although, there might be some reduction in his numbers due to stronger competition. Matt Moore had 52 points in 13 games, despite being injured for UVA. So perhaps McConvey can somewhat replace Moore. Although, Moore was much more of an assist man with 26 assists, while McConvey had just 14. I think the loss of assists and having mostly finishers could be a problem.
In the end, I am talking about having a better offense than last year, i.e., Virginia's offense will be very good, but what will make them outstanding.
i have a little bias here bc i only saw him play in person once, tho a couple other times in all star games... if mencke is good enough to start with the other guys shooting for moore's spot -- then uva may be outstanding. only live was scrimm vs psu -- in 3 quarters he went like 2 and 6 and got by his guy with ease. he plays a lot like kraus, and if the hoos went shellenberger, cormier, mencke and a 1st mid of schutz, dickson, conner and mcconvey 4 rotating 3... they might be scary. 2nds to be filled by last year's guys all back + terenzi/sunderland/ or colsey.

you'd have shellenberger and mencke and conner, as well as dickson hoo can all feed it. if they go with schutz down at attack, they might become too dodge-to- shoot heavy and too much on playmaking from just shellenberger/conner. sunderland if he's physical enough and competes for the att spot is a 50/50 g/a guy, too.
here's some of mencke:

maybe he'll break thru, maybe not.

Last edited:
you really dont know how the ivies work do you. it really depends on the school policies on whether kids get any financial aid at all going to an ivy.. Some are much better than others.
actually, my youngest is a student at an ivy and I know how financial aid works. I said attending an ivy could be cheaper depending upon aid package--we didn't qualify for any aid and know exactly how much it costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom