2023 Schedule Guesses | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Schedule Guesses

Anyways, what about Syracuse at Maryland on Feb 18 at 1pm?
Syracuse's young guns take on Maryland's talented defense. Joey Spallina and Owen Hiltz go against Ajax Zappitello and Brett Makar.

Anyways, what about Syracuse at Maryland on Feb 18 at 1pm?
Syracuse's young guns take on Maryland's talented defense. Joey Spallina and Owen Hiltz go against Ajax Zappitello and Brett Makar.
This is an interesting game with Maryland being the gold standard for D1 lacrosse. Last year, I thought the fact that the Orange hung with the Terps for as long as they did would have boded well for the orange going forward, but it didn't work out that way. This year, I want to see the Orange compete again with the Terps and keep the game close to the end. I think the Orange's goal scoring will have to start from the midfield and then from the attack off of slides. Maryland is my pre-season number 1 and their close D and goalie are a big part of that.

i mean, they were 4-10 overall and 1-5 in the ACC last year. they're the "bottom feeders" until they prove they're not. doesn't mean they're destined to be that again but it's a reasonable take at this point to say cuse and unc will be fighting for spots #4 and #5 in the ACC again. UVA, ND, and Duke will all be strong again, especially those first two. maybe they can slip past Duke to be #3 but that's a big if. UNC is a total question mark with all their personnel changes and the Orange are still in all likelihood a year or two away from returning to the top half of the league given all the young faces and the issues on D
No I get them saying it but it's a new yr and would motivate them with it. I do think this team can suprise and anything can happen.

i mean, they were 4-10 overall and 1-5 in the ACC last year. they're the "bottom feeders" until they prove they're not. doesn't mean they're destined to be that again but it's a reasonable take at this point to say cuse and unc will be fighting for spots #4 and #5 in the ACC again. UVA, ND, and Duke will all be strong again, especially those first two. maybe they can slip past Duke to be #3 but that's a big if. UNC is a total question mark with all their personnel changes and the Orange are still in all likelihood a year or two away from returning to the top half of the league given all the young faces and the issues on D

It's a reasonable opinion or take. Surprised Quint with his Johnny Hopkins degree doesnt know the difference between a fact and an opinion though.

Never underestimate Dukes ability to underperform with talent Quint! Would be nice to prove him wrong with beating out duke in the acc. Think it's a slightly lofty goal but doable. We always seem to match up nicely with them and Im pretty sure that coaching staff hasn't changed at all.

We finally get two games with them this year, along with UNC. Do well in those 4 and it could be enough to at least get third in the ACC. We should view doubling up on those two teams instead of ND and UVA as a big opportunity. It could be a path to the tourney if they (and we) dont mess it all up with bad out of conference play.

Never underestimate Dukes ability to underperform with talent Quint! Would be nice to prove him wrong with beating out duke in the acc. Think it's a slightly lofty goal but doable. We always seem to match up nicely with them and Im pretty sure that coaching staff hasn't changed at all.

We finally get two games with them this year, along with UNC. Do well in those 4 and it could be enough to at least get third in the ACC. We should view doubling up on those two teams instead of ND and UVA as a big opportunity. It could be a path to the tourney if they (and we) dont mess it all up with bad out of conference play.
Have to win all 6 OOC games

Sunday February 26:

North Carolina at Syracuse:
Face facts, the loser is going to be the bottom feeder of the ACC. The Orange freshman class is being asked to produce. Thrown into the fire will be freshmen Joey Spallina, Finn Thomson, Billy Dwan, Jordan Beck, Michael Leo and Carter Kempney.
I have to agree that Cuse and UNC look like the two weakest teams. But...Quint's "tone" is harsh and I think he highlights the wrong players. I think the bigger question marks for Cuse are 1. Fogo 2. Defense 3. Goalie. If they get decent play from those 3 positions, then they have a shot at challenging Duke. I am excited about the freshmen on offense and I think they will be just fine.

I have to agree that Cuse and UNC look like the two weakest teams. But...Quint's "tone" is harsh and I think he highlights the wrong players. I think the bigger question marks for Cuse are 1. Fogo 2. Defense 3. Goalie. If they get decent play from those 3 positions, then they have a shot at challenging Duke. I am excited about the freshmen on offense and I think they will be just fine.
What has happened with Figueiras? Is he injured or red-shirting?

I think a loss to MD or Princeton would not necessarily set us back too much. Some of the others would be a nightmare to lose.
Sorry I said it wrong I meant the mid majors. Vermont, Albany, Holy Cross, Hofstra, Hobart and the Bonny's. That's what I meant when I said all 6. Win those and pull out 3 ACC wins and it's a good season. Anything more is gravy.

I would disagree about the goalie part. Will Mark is a preseason All American and comes in with a ton of experience. I know that he has a learning curve when it comes to ACC play, but given where the team was last year I have to imagine he will be big upgrade. I'm not really worried about that part of the field. Plus they have a five star goalie waiting in the wings in Jimmy McCool.

1. FOGO - my hopes of a midseason transfer appear to be dashed. Huge question mark for the team. I'm surprised/disappointed no one at media asked about the FOGO spot given that Syracuse are trying to replace the guy who took every meaningful draw last year. Jack Fine seemed to be the first guy up in the Loyola scrimmage but not sure if he is the starter. Would think Richiusa has the leg up given he was the starter for Canisius last year. I feel like if we look back on this season and it's a disappointment, the Face-off situation will be the main culprit.

2. Defense - The Petro led defense was just flat out bad last year. We can debate the reasons for it, but a lot is riding on the defense being a lot better this year, especially if the team is struggling at the face-off dot. Perhaps a lot of new faces for this unit is best. Is Caccamo the number one guy? Losing Figuerias for the season is a blow as I think he would have had a big impact. Communicaiton was bad last year, that seems to be a point of focus this year. Petro's Hopkins defenses were on a downswing before he left, and it's troubleing that Hopkins relative strength these days is in fact their defense. Mark should help things, but the defense cannot leave shooters wide open with the frequency they did last year.

3. Offensive chemistry - There are a lot of new faces on offense this year, from players returning from injury (Hiltz, Cook) to transfers (Simmons, Kirst) to freshmen (Spallina, Thomson, Leo, Rhoa). How will they all integrate with one another? If someone is struggling, how long before they see the bench? Does it make sense to play all freshmen on one midfield line (like they did against Loyola) or split them up? How do some veteran players get integrated? I do think the offense will be really good this year, but with so many options, sometimes it can get overwhelming. If face-offs are a struggle, the offense will be under a lot of presure to score each time they get the ball. Can a young offense live up to that pressure?

I would disagree about the goalie part. Will Mark is a preseason All American and comes in with a ton of experience. I know that he has a learning curve when it comes to ACC play, but given where the team was last year I have to imagine he will be big upgrade. I'm not really worried about that part of the field. Plus they have a five star goalie waiting in the wings in Jimmy McCool.

1. FOGO - my hopes of a midseason transfer appear to be dashed. Huge question mark for the team. I'm surprised/disappointed no one at media asked about the FOGO spot given that Syracuse are trying to replace the guy who took every meaningful draw last year. Jack Fine seemed to be the first guy up in the Loyola scrimmage but not sure if he is the starter. Would think Richiusa has the leg up given he was the starter for Canisius last year. I feel like if we look back on this season and it's a disappointment, the Face-off situation will be the main culprit.

2. Defense - The Petro led defense was just flat out bad last year. We can debate the reasons for it, but a lot is riding on the defense being a lot better this year, especially if the team is struggling at the face-off dot. Perhaps a lot of new faces for this unit is best. Is Caccamo the number one guy? Losing Figuerias for the season is a blow as I think he would have had a big impact. Communicaiton was bad last year, that seems to be a point of focus this year. Petro's Hopkins defenses were on a downswing before he left, and it's troubleing that Hopkins relative strength these days is in fact their defense. Mark should help things, but the defense cannot leave shooters wide open with the frequency they did last year.

3. Offensive chemistry - There are a lot of new faces on offense this year, from players returning from injury (Hiltz, Cook) to transfers (Simmons, Kirst) to freshmen (Spallina, Thomson, Leo, Rhoa). How will they all integrate with one another? If someone is struggling, how long before they see the bench? Does it make sense to play all freshmen on one midfield line (like they did against Loyola) or split them up? How do some veteran players get integrated? I do think the offense will be really good this year, but with so many options, sometimes it can get overwhelming. If face-offs are a struggle, the offense will be under a lot of presure to score each time they get the ball. Can a young offense live up to that pressure?
U forgot to mention a guy who is gonna break out this yr and become a star and that is Jackson Birtwhistle. I think they will mix freshman with vets. The loyala scrimmage half the vets who will be playing didn't play or played very little. I think they played an all freshman line just to get them as much work as possible. If Spallina plays like an AA as a freshman which is very possible then the attack line with Simmons and Hiltz is legit. Then mix in Kirst, Birtwhistle, Cook, Cordes all vets with a few freshman and this team can have two solid midfield lines. I believe they moved Rosa back to SSDM as he was running on the 2nd line with Murphy in practice so far. I think it's a good move if he can stay healthy he can be a solid SSDM and we can have 4 definite solid ones. I also know they have been pushing transition offense a lot this yr. Murphy loves it because he wasn't allowed at LIU he had to dump it off as they didn't have any transition offense. He's athletic and can dodge and even invert so with all 4 SSDM having offense ability and athletic ability they can be very good on transitions. The D should improve some and goalie will definitely be improved. This team is underrated I think. All comes down to the face offs tho. If these guys can't hang around 50% or even close then it's not gonna matter much how good this team can be. I think FOGO is the biggest question mark going in to the season. Let's hope for the best.

Oh and also Murphy told me the offense looks sick in practice so far. The ball is moving smooth all over the place. He even said Birtwhistle is very crafty and gonna have a big yr. He's been really impressed by him. I'm hearing nothing but good things so figured I would let u guys know. We should be excited all we need is at least avg at the dot and this team can be solid.

Oh and also Murphy told me the offense looks sick in practice so far. The ball is moving smooth all over the place. He even said Birtwhistle is very crafty and gonna have a big yr. He's been really impressed by him. I'm hearing nothing but good things so figured I would let u guys know. We should be excited all we need is at least avg at the dot and this team can be solid.
Did Murphy say anything about the faceoff guys?

With Rosa even if he doesn’t play O mid his skills on offense will be useful in transition. That should also apply to Aviles who had some great moments on O in the world games, even against team USA.

How is Birtwistle going to become a "star" after missing the fall and now having to contend with a more crowded offense? If he has a huge season that will mean someone like Thomson. Leo or Kirst doesn't do much of anything. There's only one ball. Simmons, Spallina, Hiltz need to get theirs. Someone else is going to be the odd man out

How is Birtwistle going to become a "star" after missing the fall and now having to contend with a more crowded offense? If he has a huge season that will mean someone like Thomson. Leo or Kirst doesn't do much of anything. There's only one ball. Simmons, Spallina, Hiltz need to get theirs. Someone else is going to be the odd man out
Well I think he will have the edge on the freshman for playing time and if he does what he is capable then why can't he become a star with Spallina and Hiltz feeding him. Kid has a beautiful shot. I'm sure the midfield will get plenty of opportunities to put pts up. Kirst is a solid vet with great leadership who can produce but he's not his brother CJ. If he puts up 25 goals and 15 assists that's a great yr from him. Birtwhistle can fire from anywhere and put up 30 to 40 goals. From what I hear the ball is moving so I think plenty of guys can put up nice pts. Hey man if they are that means the offense is producing big time which will be awesome.

With Rosa even if he doesn’t play O mid his skills on offense will be useful in transition. That should also apply to Aviles who had some great moments on O in the world games, even against team USA.
Yes and I think ppl will be surprised with Murphys offensive skill too. I have seen some videos of him scoring in practice and I know the coaches didn't expect it. LIU coach was a clear the ball and dump it off then chew clock kind of offense. He's a very good athlete and I saw him over the summer while playing agajnst Brennon O'Neils team and he was playing both ways. He scored a few goals and was playing from behind cage as a middie. Carter is fast to so I think all 4 can produce in transition and he said they work on it everyday so the coaches want them to be aggressive too. The D mids will be much improved this yr as will goalie and both those positions hurt this team last yr. Only thing is now the question is all about Face offs. Hoping for the best.

I also don't think missing the fall will hurt his playing time. The fall was mostly for the freshman to get their feet wet and the vets to knock the rust off. He showed what he can do the end of last yr and I would think he's getting plenty of opportunities this season to show himself. I can see Thompson, Leo and Rhoa playing but so will Birtwhistle. Personally I think he's more talented then Kirst and will be more productive. I love Kirst to he's a great leader and a solid player but Jackson has star potential in my opinion.

Vermont will be an interesting season opener. Cuse has more talent but...Tommy Burke is a great fogo and could dominate big time against our inexperienced fogos. Will be a test for the Cuse defense and goalie. Offense should do well (provided they get enough possessions) and Vermont will not have Ryan Cornell in goal who graduated last year after a strong season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom