2023 Yankees Season | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

Just brutal watching this Yankee team lately.
Regardless of the repeated injuries every single year, how much longer does Cashman get a free ride. This roster is so bad right now.

Regardless of the repeated injuries every single year, how much longer does Cashman get a free ride. This roster is so bad right now.

He just got another extension last year, boggles the mind.

He just got another extension last year, boggles the mind.
I share peoples' frustrations with the team currently. As bad as things are, they are still tied for the third wild card. There is a long way to go. The team will likely be active at the deadline. We have also seen how much better this lineup is when healthy.

I do not have strong feelings for or against Cashman, but I believe his level of success meets or exceeds any reasonable minimum standard for a Yankee general manager. The team has made the postseason every year since 2017 (Fangraphs currently gives the team a 59% of making the playoffs this season). In those years, the team has won 99 (2022), 92 (2021), 33 (2020 [covid]), 103 (2019), 100 (2018), and 91 (2017) games. The team certainly could have performed better (particularly in the postseason), but with the random and unpredictable nature of the sport, I do not think it is reasonable to expect better. The Yankees have a significant financial advantage so their minimum standards for success should be higher than other clubs, but we know there are limits to what money can do. Many of the league's best players are pre-free-agency. A team only gets to flex its financial muscle with players at or past their primes. I am not positive that one could expect a Houston or Tampa Bay GM to have done better for the Yankees, but who knows? Some annoying old man said "you can't predict baseball."

I share peoples' frustrations with the team currently. As bad as things are, they are still tied for the third wild card. There is a long way to go. The team will likely be active at the deadline. We have also seen how much better this lineup is when healthy.

I do not have strong feelings for or against Cashman, but I believe his level of success meets or exceeds any reasonable minimum standard for a Yankee general manager. The team has made the postseason every year since 2017 (Fangraphs currently gives the team a 59% of making the playoffs this season). In those years, the team has won 99 (2022), 92 (2021), 33 (2020 [covid]), 103 (2019), 100 (2018), and 91 (2017) games. The team certainly could have performed better (particularly in the postseason), but with the random and unpredictable nature of the sport, I do not think it is reasonable to expect better. The Yankees have a significant financial advantage so their minimum standards for success should be higher than other clubs, but we know there are limits to what money can do. Many of the league's best players are pre-free-agency. A team only gets to flex its financial muscle with players at or past their primes. I am not positive that one could expect a Houston or Tampa Bay GM to have done better for the Yankees, but who knows? Some annoying old man said "you can't predict baseball."

The Yankees tend to spend just enough money to make the playoffs every season. But not enough to put us over the top.

We haven't been able to get past Houston in the past, and this year we'll run into TB at some point.

Sad thing is, unless we get one of the top 2 seeds, we're stuck in a WC series where we'll have to use Cole and Sevy/Cortes. Then we could be 2 games down by the time they get to pitch in a 7 game series.

Right now the Yanks are tied with HOU for the last WC slot, with TOR and BOS close behind.

Long way to go, and we keep making it harder.

The Yankees tend to spend just enough money to make the playoffs every season. But not enough to put us over the top.

We haven't been able to get past Houston in the past, and this year we'll run into TB at some point.

Sad thing is, unless we get one of the top 2 seeds, we're stuck in a WC series where we'll have to use Cole and Sevy/Cortes. Then we could be 2 games down by the time they get to pitch in a 7 game series.

Right now the Yanks are tied with HOU for the last WC slot, with TOR and BOS close behind.

I just don't believe there is a magic recipe for getting "over the top." Yes, get as many good players as you can, but there is no way to guarantee success in a short series.

This isn't a WS caliber team, even with Judge in the lineup every day.

I don't think that it's a spending issue, its HOW they spend the money.

This isn't a WS caliber team, even with Judge in the lineup every day.
What does a WS caliber team look like? Were the 2021 Braves and 2019 Nationals WS caliber or did they just happen to play well in the preseason? Did you recognize last year’s Phillies as a team that would go to the World Series? It helps to be a great team, but any team who makes the postseason is potentially WS caliber.

Interesting statistical anomaly this season:

Players with more than 5HRs and a BABIP less than .100 (basically guys who hit a HR and not much else).
Neil Chrisley in 1959 and Josh Donaldson in 2023.

That's it. That's the list. The only guy that's kind of close to Donaldson this season with an ISO greater than .300 and a BABIP <.150 is ... former Yankee farmhand Mike Ford with a .400 ISO and a .143 BABIP in 32 PAs for the Mariners (Josh has 60 PAs).

Interesting statistical anomaly this season:

Players with more than 5HRs and a BABIP less than .100 (basically guys who hit a HR and not much else).
Neil Chrisley in 1959 and Josh Donaldson in 2023.

That's it. That's the list. The only guy that's kind of close to Donaldson this season with an ISO greater than .300 and a BABIP <.150 is ... former Yankee farmhand Mike Ford with a .400 ISO and a .143 BABIP in 32 PAs for the Mariners (Josh has 60 PAs).
The Yankees are last in the league with a .262 BAPIP. With the shift gone, BAPIP is more random than ever. It's fairly safe to predict that stat will improve for the Yankees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom