2023 Yankees Season | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

The job of a radio p-b-p guy is to paint an accurate picture for the listener. Ray Charles could do a better job of that.
He just gets things wrong, the score, outs, count, batter. He doesn’t like analytics that the game is based on now, I don’t think he sees well at night and guesses at balls hit deep at night "It is high, it is far, it is caught" and says trite things for no apparent reason like "You score that the OLD defensive indifference." "He's warming up in the OLD bullpen." Why is everything "OLD" all the time? I just can't take him. I have a letter drafted to Audacy on why he should be replaced but I don’t have the heart to send it.

Only a 2 hour and 18 minute suck tonight.

Lineup is shot without Judge and even with him to many pieces that are either in the twilight of their careers or just not good hitters. Team should sell what it can at the deadline versus emptying out the few good pieces of a mediocre farm system for 2 months of Ohtani which would be insane.

Last edited:
Lineup is shot without Judge and even with him to many pieces that are either in the twilight of their careers or just not good hitters. Team should sell what it can at the deadline versus emptying out the few good pieces of a mediocre farm system for 2 months of Ohtani which would be insane.
Don't forget--no speed.

Bader, Volpe, and IKF have speed.
As a team, they're the slowest in the majors. From Baseball Prospectus:

"New York’s collective home-to-first time of 4.62 seconds is a full tenth of a second worse than the second-slowest team, the White Sox, and it would be even worse if it weren’t for Anthony Volpe being up all season. Those old sluggers that aren’t delivering quite as many bombs as they used to? Turns out they aren’t winning many foot races on infield hits, either. (They’re second-to-last in the league in that rate, as well.)

As a team, they're the slowest in the majors. From Baseball Prospectus:

"New York’s collective home-to-first time of 4.62 seconds is a full tenth of a second worse than the second-slowest team, the White Sox, and it would be even worse if it weren’t for Anthony Volpe being up all season. Those old sluggers that aren’t delivering quite as many bombs as they used to? Turns out they aren’t winning many foot races on infield hits, either. (They’re second-to-last in the league in that rate, as well.)
Is average speed an important measure? It's obviously skewed by the extremes. Isn't the number of fast guys you have more important?

Is average speed an important measure? It's obviously skewed by the extremes. Isn't the number of fast guys you have more important?
Volpe is a good base stealer, but as far as sprint speed goes he is barely top 100. Bader listed as 79th fastest and nobody else that really plays is in the top 100.

Volpe is a good base stealer, but as far as sprint speed goes he is barely top 100. Bader listed as 79th fastest and nobody else that really plays is in the top 100.
How many players should a team have in the top 100?

Even by that standard, the Yankees are below average. Since I have a subscription, I can't link to the BP article as you'd need a subscription. But they have a rundown on the entire Yanks' offensive roster.

When, on average, your time from home to first is 1/10 second worst than the second-worst team, and when you look at the impact that has on runs scored, I don't know how that's a good thing. Especially since neither Volpe nor IKF are doing much offensively. You're not gonna be able to routinely take that extra base, and you're gonna be out on a lot of close plays.

Doesn't matter as much when the boppers are bopping, but they're not.

Last edited:
Well if you want to have a fast team I would hope for better than the 79th and 96th fastest guys to be on the team.
I don’t think the Yankees are a fast team, nor I do I think becoming one should be a top priority. With the three guys I mentioned, the lineup is not one-dimensional, which good enough for me.

I don’t think the Yankees are a fast team, nor I do I think becoming one should be a top priority. With the three guys I mentioned, the lineup is not one-dimensional, which good enough for me.
Fair enough, I thought you were of the opinion the Yankees were a fast team.
I personally think they are a one dimensional team and if the long balls aren’t happening they aren’t scoring.

It wasn't so long ago that the Yankees had stretches where the sluggers really started to master the art of extracting ruinous pitch counts from opponents for a few innings, then delivering the knockout punch later. But the odds against keeping them in the line-up at the same time feel out of reach these days. That might negate speed deficiencies, if management intended for that to be a real strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom