2024 ACC Men's Basketball Tournament Projections | Syracusefan.com

2024 ACC Men's Basketball Tournament Projections

I think this team can finish top 7 and get out of that 8/9 lunchtime black hole they've been stuck in far too often.

I live within striking distance of DC but have to be in Florida for business the 11-14 . I'll be back early enough for an evening game on the 14th I think. I suppose I could scrounge tickets on Friday if SU gets to the semi finals.

I’d love to go Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sat.

Don’t know anything about this tournament and if it gets pricey late since we’ve never gone that far. Not interested in greensboro or Brooklyn so maybe this year it would be fun.

As of Feb 16:

GGftk1rbQAA8tOc

We need to capitalize on our momentum from Tuesday night to set us up for our best possible scenario, whichever side of the bracket that may be.
IMG_2515.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems we have a permanent spot in that 8 v. 9, Wednesday, Noon game since we joined the conference with the exception of the first year, the Tyler Ennis year, 2014. I am too lazy to look it up but I bet it's close to half of all the years, maybe more.

It seems we have a permanent spot in that 8 v. 9, Wednesday, Noon game since we joined the conference with the exception of the first year, the Tyler Ennis year, 2014. I am too lazy to look it up but I bet it's close to half of all the years, maybe more.
2014- 2 seed
2015- banned but would’ve been 8 seed
2016- 9 seed
2017- 8 seed
2018- 10 seed
2019- 6 seed
2020- 6 seed
2021- 8 seed
2022- 9 seed
2023- 8 seed

So out of the 10 years we’ve been in the ACC we have been in the 8/9 game over half of the time (60%) and have only been higher than a 6 seed our first year. We have to change this sometime soon because that is mediocre for sure.

2014- 2 seed
2016- 9 seed
2017- 8 seed
2018- 10 seed
2019- 6 seed
2020- 6 seed
2021- 8 seed
2022- 9 seed
2023- 8 seed

So out of the 10 years we’ve been in the ACC we have been in the 8/9 game over half of the time (60%) and have only been higher than a 6 seed our first year. We have to change this sometime soon because that is mediocre for sure.
Thanks for the research!

Some teams are going to have to play catch up having played only 13 games while the rest of the conference has played 14. 7 of the 15 conference teams have played 14 games before this weekend including SU. (The teams who have played 14 games before today- UNC, VA, SU, Miami, ND, Ga Tech and Louisville).

Yes we are and I'm sick of it. Much prefer the evening sessions.

2014- 2 seed
2016- 9 seed
2017- 8 seed
2018- 10 seed
2019- 6 seed
2020- 6 seed
2021- 8 seed
2022- 9 seed
2023- 8 seed

2014 - early evening
2015 - would've been a nooner
2016 - nooner
2017 - nooner
2018 - early evening
2019 - late evening
2020 - late evening
2021 - nooner
2022 - nooner
2023 - nooner

Yet to finish 4th, 5th, 12th, or 13th for that late afternoon time slot.

I ran through if the favorite wins each game, and obviously that's unlikely to play out but it gives us a good baseline...

1. Duke
2. UNC
3. UVA
4. Wake
5. Clemson
6. Pitt
7. FSU
8. Cuse

If the favorites win every game, BUT we beat NC State on the road OR Clemson on the road as an underdog, we jump to 6th and our second ACCT game would be against Wake, a Q1 game. Obviously Duke would also be a Q1 game but way tougher. If we win out and all the other favorites win every game, we would get the 5 seed, and our second game would be UVA. Also Q1 but I'd rather play Wake than UVA I think.

Of course, the wins at NC State and Clemson would both be Q1 wins, so bring on the 5 seed if we can win out.

Also if we end up as a 5 or 6, we may be rooting for the favorite in the game we're playing the winner of, to keep it a Q2 game.

Of course, the remaining question is, "is there a path to a double bye?" Yes, if we win out and all the favorites hold we end up in a 3-way tie with Wake and UVA for third. We lose the tiebreakers. So we would need to win out and have Wake or UVA to lose a game they're favored in. Like for example we win out, Pitt beats Wake or Va Tech beats UVA, we're the 4, both happen, we're the 3.

Of course that's super unlikely. We're probably going to be somewhere between the 6 and the 9, outside chance at the 5, very very longshot chance at the 3.

Any updates on the weekly ACC tournament threads where a poster used to do where everything was color coded and who our rooting interests are? I always look forward to those. Always happened a few weeks before the ACC tournament.

Any updates on the weekly ACC tournament threads where a poster used to do where everything was color coded and who our rooting interests are? I always look forward to those. Always happened a few weeks before the ACC tournament.

Ditto. Forgot who did that but those were awesome

We beat VT and finish at least 2-1, we're in the 8-9 game.

We beat VT and finish at least 2-1, we're in the 8-9 game.

If Cuse beats VT and finishes 2-1 I believe there’s a very good chance to avoid the 8-9 game.

Pitt and NC State play each other. So 1 of them is guaranteed a loss. And then NC State still has to play Duke and UNC while Pitt has to go to Clemson. 1 of them is almost guaranteed to finish with 9 losses. Only concern might be multiple teams finish 11-9 and another tiebreaker other than head-to-head is used.

If Cuse beats VT and finishes 2-1 I believe there’s a very good chance to avoid the 8-9 game.

Pitt and NC State play each other. So 1 of them is guaranteed a loss. And then NC State still has to play Duke and UNC while Pitt has to go to Clemson. 1 of them is almost guaranteed to finish with 9 losses. Only concern might be multiple teams finish 11-9 and another tiebreaker other than head-to-head is used.

I've already booked the conference room for Noon.

A tradition unlike any other.

It’s still really tricky to predict. Cuse has one less game to play as well. I’m not sure why we’re sitting the last Saturday of the season with a bye but whatever. Extra practice won’t hurt.

Should be more clear Tuesday night.

It’s still really tricky to predict. Cuse has one less game to play as well. I’m not sure why we’re sitting the last Saturday of the season with a bye but whatever. Extra practice won’t hurt.

Should be more clear Tuesday night.

15 ACC teams.

Someone gets the weekend off.

It just happens to be SU on March 9.

Thanks. That’s cool. For idiots like me, it would be cool to put your team in as a certain seed, and see what results would be needed to get there.

A decent chance to end up #7. If SU, Pitt, NCSt all end up at 11-9 (a reasonable possibility), we get #6.

Syracuse could conceivably finish as high as fourth and as low as 11th.

Syracuse is part of a five-team cluster separated by just one game in the ACC standings. Clemson, Pittsburgh and North Carolina State each have 9-7 records, then comes Syracuse at 9-8 followed by Florida State at 8-8.

Good web site you can use to do ‘what if’ scenarios and see who will get what seed for the ACC men’s hoop tournament.

Enjoy!

Love these things! Kind of like the espn NFL playoff machine. Thanks for sharing! I've already run like 10 scenarios through it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom