2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

If im the head coach i dont risk my bell cow. Period.
Well as head coach in NCAA25 I put my fastest players in the return game and usually they are starting WR or RB or CB

And I have a tremendous Dynasty, the most tremendous Dynasty ever.

People come to me with tears in their eyes and say sir, Nick Saban could only dream of having a Dynasty like yours.

Bear Bryant and Urban Meyer don't hold a candle to your Dynasty.

So like I said, I know my stuff.

Well as head coach in NCAA25 I put my fastest players in the return game and usually they are starting WR or RB or CB

People come to me with tears in their eyes and say sir, Nick Saban could only dream of having a Dynasty like yours.

You know more than the coaches.

Well done, Sir.

Ok ST had little but Barry.

then again, he was the most dynamic player in the NFL and didn't return stuff.

Marvin running plays he doesn't get hit doesn't really add up much

In our scheme maybe its a great thing.

if you said he was gonna return 2-3 and be dynamic I get the value.
Right, they had little but Barry, so, based on what you said earlier, they couldn't afford to risk him.

What the NFL does is irrelevant. College is different. Big plays in the kicking game have an impact more often in college than in the NFL.

Again, based on what you said earlier, risking Marvin on punt returns isn't worth losing him, because losing our most dynamic receiver would have allowed defenses to focus more of their attention on our running game back then.

I don't know the coaches philosophy on who they'll choose to return punts. Maybe they think it's not that much risk because he can fair catch anything that'll result in a big hit. Maybe they like his hands the most. My main point is, if the coaches put him back there, they think he's the best guy for the job, and they're not going to refrain from putting someone in a position to make an impact because there is a chance for injury because there's a chance for injury on every play.

If im the head coach i dont risk my bell cow. Period.
So you're not gonna hand him the ball? He has as much a chance of getting rolled up on in a pile or getting nailed from the side and tearing a knee ligament as he has taking a shot on a punt return. Willis McGahee was hurt on a screen pass. Marcus Lattimore's injuries weren't returning kicks. Most punt returns end in fair catches. Part of the nature of playing football is risk.

Sounds bigly

Right, they had little but Barry, so, based on what you said earlier, they couldn't afford to risk him.

What the NFL does is irrelevant. College is different. Big plays in the kicking game have an impact more often in college than in the NFL.

Again, based on what you said earlier, risking Marvin on punt returns isn't worth losing him, because losing our most dynamic receiver would have allowed defenses to focus more of their attention on our running game back then.

I don't know the coaches philosophy on who they'll choose to return punts. Maybe they think it's not that much risk because he can fair catch anything that'll result in a big hit. Maybe they like his hands the most. My main point is, if the coaches put him back there, they think he's the best guy for the job, and they're not going to refrain from putting someone in a position to make an impact because there is a chance for injury because there's a chance for injury on every play.
Marvin was out best WR but WR is also an easier position to fill for me depth wise. We have 6-7-8 of those. We only have 2-3 Rbs.

Texas has lost 2 and many people are already thinking their season is over.

I just don't think the upside of returning punts is higher than him controlling the running game 20-25 times a game in this offense.

Maybe he is just flat out the best we have at it.

We will see.

Didn’t Meeks return kicks for Ga last year?

It also seems to be about attendance capacity at the dome, the 2023 defense, the correct spelling of Oronde Gadsden's name, whether you can or can't have seven men on the line of scrimmage, the worth of a Brent Axe subscription, Bill Carpenter on the 1959 Army squad, and where Fran Brown's orange hoodie could be bought. And that's just in the first ten pages. But sure, you do you, man. Who pissed in your cornflakes?
I missed the cornflakes post.

James needs to catch to return kicks. If he’s there with Pena its because there’s a likelihood Pena’s pitching him the ball after Pena catching it. I don’t think we’ll see that often.

Marvin was out best WR but WR is also an easier position to fill for me depth wise. We have 6-7-8 of those. We only have 2-3 Rbs.

Texas has lost 2 and many people are already thinking their season is over.

I just don't think the upside of returning punts is higher than him controlling the running game 20-25 times a game in this offense.

Maybe he is just flat out the best we have at it.

We will see.
When you have a stable of WR's you could be right, but look at the stats from 1995. Harrison was easily our best player. He had more catches and yards than our next 4 pass catchers combined. Our second leading pass catcher was a RB that had 19 catches. Our second WR had 16. Harrison had more receiving yards than our top 2 RBs combined. His 20.2 ypc opened up everything for our running game. If the coaches thought it was a risk to have him return punts, he would not have been back there. On that team, there was no replacement for him and he impacted our whole offense even on the plays the ball wasn't thrown to him.

I don't see this as an either or thing. Allen doesn't have to have an impact in one or the other. It can be both. The risk of injury is being overstated. If he were to return punts, it wouldn't wear him out. Most punts are fair caught and the coaches seem to suggest they're going to spread the carries around.

This whole discussion is likely moot. Pena is the most likely guy back there, since he's done it the most.

James needs to catch to return kicks. If he’s there with Pena its because there’s a likelihood Pena’s pitching him the ball after Pena catching it. I don’t think we’ll see that often.
Are his hands that bad?

I’d put kevin Jobity on the 2 deep before David O. But probably in the other DE slot and maybe put Chad Simmons behind Diggs. But I could certainly see David O coming in for some obvious passing downs.

For years I’ve always been expecting Hatcher to emerge and i like him. But he is still not quite strong enough to be the preferred starter IMO if it’s opposite Zeed. Since Zeed is starting I feel like you need somebody tougher at the opposite WR position. At one WR spot I could see Hatcher and Meeks listed as an or splitting time until JRS is healthily. Then 1. JRS and 2. Meeks at one spot and maybe slide Hatcher to behind Zeed at the other.

I could see E Ross fitting in well on the second line behind Peña. He seems to have a good skill set for that spot.

Are his hands that bad?
They’re not that bad but they’re not good enough from what I understand to give him any meaningful role catching anything yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom