2024 Transfer Thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

Just looked.. his last game was June 14. Maybe that’s why they bring in Schmitt.. just a guess.. bad news definitely but silver lining is they redshirt him and he watches and learns the defense like Fig did this year
I doubt they brought in a transfer solely because of Scott hurting himself this summer. Barring the worst of knee injuries he has a good amount of time to recover before the season. It was going to be crowded for him to play long pole next season no matter what. He has a lot of time so hope he can recover from whatever it is before the season.

Do we want to get back to championship weekend or not? We have clear issues at pole. We're not physical, we cant pick up a ground ball and we don't understand sliding. We were young on D and now we're not. Improve the talent and let the competition sort itself out. If you don't want your feelings hurt go out and play better and win the job. It's not a charity.
competition is good but it needs to be healthy competition. bringing in a boat load of transfers into a program that's trying to create a new identity (or return to an old one) can have disastrous consequences if it's not managed properly by the coaching staff and the existing leadership on the roster. look at ohio state this season. on paper they got more talented bringing in marcus hudgins and a bunch of other guys but the team was significantly worse. there is a point where it'll be diminishing returns. i don't know if that's after the 5th transfer or the 8th or the 12th, but there is a point where things get messy fast. your culture has to be strong enough to incorporate all of these new faces at once. it's not easy to do. bottom line: the team is more talented than they were and that was problem #1 to solve and they solved it. but that's only half the battle

Despite us hitting the portal heavily this season we have had almost zero transfers out. That is a good sign. The only one who did transfer was a grad student who gave us four years and left for reasons other than us bringing in a guy to replace him. Clearly the team is bought in on some level or we would have seen more kids bail after another season missing the playoffs. Think we have several guys who are borderline 3rd string type guys in the offense who could get more serious playing time elsewhere but have stuck around. That all bodes well.

The math seems odd to me. Last year there were 53 on the roster.

Subtract out the 7 seniors / grad students (assuming none are coming back) and 2 transfers (Aviles & Gonsiorek) and that leaves 44 returning players.

Add in 11 freshman and 8 transfers for a total of 19 and that brings the roster to 63.

Seems like an awfully big number. Not sure what the current bench limit is but it used to be 45 (inclusive of coaches/trainers/managers).

I'm sure I'm missing something (additional transfer/red shirts) so would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

competition is good but it needs to be healthy competition. bringing in a boat load of transfers into a program that's trying to create a new identity (or return to an old one) can have disastrous consequences if it's not managed properly by the coaching staff and the existing leadership on the roster. look at ohio state this season. on paper they got more talented bringing in marcus hudgins and a bunch of other guys but the team was significantly worse. there is a point where it'll be diminishing returns. i don't know if that's after the 5th transfer or the 8th or the 12th, but there is a point where things get messy fast. your culture has to be strong enough to incorporate all of these new faces at once. it's not easy to do. bottom line: the team is more talented than they were and that was problem #1 to solve and they solved it. but that's only half the battle

I keep thinking about the fact this team won't have a real true senior class this year, and last year. Last year the only homegrown senior they lost who saw real playing time was Griffin Cook (using his fifth year) and this year, if SU brought in zero transfers, it would be Will Mark and he was a transfer himself. Gait and co have had to essentially rebuild senior classes due to the previous staff putting together underwhelming recruiting classes. People criticize recruiting publications but they were right about SU putting together two pretty poor classes prior to the really good one in 2020. Now Gait is fixing that.

The team is really young, which is great, but in order to really improve and compete at the highest levels, they need contributions from classes outside the rising sophomore class. They could sit around and wait for them to peak when they are seniors, but supplementing them right now with experienced, proven players has to be the way to go. Strike while the iron is hot. Yes, bringing in eight transfers is a lot, but I can't really look at one and think "not sure that makes the team better".

I keep thinking about the fact this team won't have a real true senior class this year, and last year. Last year the only homegrown senior they lost who saw real playing time was Griffin Cook (using his fifth year) and this year, if SU brought in zero transfers, it would be Will Mark and he was a transfer himself. Gait and co have had to essentially rebuild senior classes due to the previous staff putting together underwhelming recruiting classes. People criticize recruiting publications but they were right about SU putting together two pretty poor classes prior to the really good one in 2020. Now Gait is fixing that.

The team is really young, which is great, but in order to really improve and compete at the highest levels, they need contributions from classes outside the rising sophomore class. They could sit around and wait for them to peak when they are seniors, but supplementing them right now with experienced, proven players has to be the way to go. Strike while the iron is hot. Yes, bringing in eight transfers is a lot, but I can't really look at one and think "not sure that makes the team better".
Pretty great post. Seems spot on to me. None of those classes produced much of anything in the form of contributors. Clary is probably the closest thing, and unfortunately he’s always hurt.

Subtract out the 7 seniors / grad students (assuming none are coming back) and 2 transfers (Aviles & Gonsiorek) and that leaves 44 returning players.

Add in 11 freshman and 8 transfers for a total of 19 and that brings the roster to 63.

Seems like an awfully big number. Not sure what the current bench limit is but it used to be 45 (inclusive of coaches/trainers/managers).

I'm sure I'm missing something (additional transfer/red shirts) so would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Unless something has changed Zach Mercado won’t return.

Gait in June 2021:

So, I think the other key will be to strategize our recruiting and make sure that we’re recruiting for a specific position, specific players. I think one of my focuses is to be really targeted on the recruiting and maybe reduce the size of the classes a little bit. But just make sure we get the top kids at each position.

Gait in June 2021:
maybe petro has some influence here? he was known for his gigantic class sizes at jhu and might prefer bigger rosters for one reason or another. when milliman got in he had to have cuts to trim some of the fat

the big thing is talent. you'd rather have a talented roster that's too big than a less talented roster that's the perfect size. and like i said, the orange got a lot more talented this offseason. they checked that box. needed to happen and it happened. but a significant hurdle remains: integrating the talent the right way. it can and has gone wrong at other programs. the staff has to circle the wagons and existing leaders must step up

maybe petro has some influence here? he was known for his gigantic class sizes at jhu and might prefer bigger rosters for one reason or another. when milliman got in he had to have cuts to trim some of the fat

the big thing is talent. you'd rather have a talented roster that's too big than a less talented roster that's the perfect size. and like i said, the orange got a lot more talented this offseason. they checked that box. needed to happen and it happened. but a significant hurdle remains: integrating the talent the right way. it can and has gone wrong at other programs. the staff has to circle the wagons and existing leaders must step up

I think Petro definitely is having some influence here. I don't think its surprising a majority of the additions are on defense and SU seems to be targeting high end D players (almost exclusively AA types or close to it). I do agree that you need to be careful with how many additional you make because high transfer teams can have issues meshing.

We saw this with Duke 2 years ago with Sowers, despite a ridiculous amount of talent, they never looked quite right. Ditto for G-town this past year. Rutgers had some good success with transfers but then got over reliant on them and crashed this past year when they couldn't get their A list group in portal. They have now tripled down and are about to bring in like a dozen + guys but many are taking a giant leap in competition.

I think SU was caught in between as the defense has some talent but it's been inconsistent and in several cases very injury prone with Mark having one year left I think they wanted to take a shot. I think you comment about "you'd rather have a talent rosters that's too big than a less talented roster that's a perfect size" is exactly the calculus the staff is making. There a risks involved for sure. Almost all the defensive additionals are grad guys so your taking a one time shot and guys like Kol, Clary, and Caccamo are all Sophs going into their Jr years.

I have to assume the Gettysburg pole will move to SSDM along with potentially Clary to help shore up that spot. Gonna take some work to keep everyone happy especially if Kol, Cacammo and other prior starters are all suddenly sitting the bench. Need some depth going into the following season especially if Scott red-shirts.

Unless something has changed Zach Mercado won’t return.

Yes Mercado is gone. I know the prior staff liked Levine at SSDM but Gait and March had him on man up in 2022 (for some ungodly reason) and while he has moved to defense full time I haven't really heard his name so it either hasn't worked or he's way down the chart.

I'd be shocked if Jake Spallina doesn't get his first PT at SSDM in the fall to see what he can do. Hard to play SSDM at this level as a frosh but he seems destined to project there unless he takes the FOGO job.

I know some posters have mentioned Kempney but personally I don't see it. It's not his game and I think they want him concentrating on O mid. He really should have red-shirted this past season. I suspect another frosh or two will get some run as well to see if anyone takes to it. They have some time as between Rice, Titus, Rosa, the Gettysburg pole (assuming my hunch/info is accurate) Spallina potentially Clary etc.

there are two main issues that could conceivably crop up if you're taking in big numbers here.

one is recruiting. if you put 8-12 schools in a similar bucket otherwise, and a couple of them are perceived to be transfer-over heavy programs vs. the comp, they may be at a disadvantage. probably the closest comp here is g'town, and their '24 class looks on paper to be pretty deep. so they managed it thus far, and it's possible.

the other is the locker room. as mentioned, captains (and coaches) can have some influence here, and to date the transfer out scenario for the 'cuse has been good. but it doesn't take much or many, and things can go haywire. as the saying goes, you can get hurt falling out of bed, tho there's such a thing as increasing the likelihood.

in all of this, the coaches are taking calculated risks where they should know the risks and rewards.

another is development, though probably second tier.

These players who are definitively gone are (7): Cole Kirst, Jake Murphy, Joe Bolea, Griffin Cook, Peter Fiorini, Brandon Aviles and Alex Simmons.

We think these players are also leaving (4): Shaffer Woody, Harrsion Thompson, Zach Mercado, Kyle Gornsresk

The following players walked at Senior Day and could very well be all done as well (3): Michael Page, Brett Tenaglia, John Cohen

So that could be upwards of 14 players off last years roster rather than 9, putting next years roster at 58, instead of 63. Doing this on my phone so I very well could be messing something up. Still a big roster but a bit more manageable. Others may drop off after fall ball as well.

hearing virginia is very much interested in ghobriel. HS teammate thomas mencke is there. hopkins interested as well. a few other teams are hovering

virginia increasingly looking like the possible destination for tufts' jack boyden.

in addition to the players above + yager and desousa, hoos wanted pederson and several others. lars is not being "selective" this cycle. considerably more active than tillman this year. the sabre won't like hearing that

These players who are definitively gone are (7): Cole Kirst, Jake Murphy, Joe Bolea, Griffin Cook, Peter Fiorini, Brandon Aviles and Alex Simmons.

We think these players are also leaving (4): Shaffer Woody, Harrsion Thompson, Zach Mercado, Kyle Gornsresk

The following players walked at Senior Day and could very well be all done as well (3): Michael Page, Brett Tenaglia, John Cohen

So that could be upwards of 14 players off last years roster rather than 9, putting next years roster at 58, instead of 63. Doing this on my phone so I very well could be messing something up. Still a big roster but a bit more manageable. Others may drop off after fall ball as well.
For me the important variable in transfer loading is integration. Georgetown provides a model. Their offense added some transfers
I think Petro definitely is having some influence here. I don't think its surprising a majority of the additions are on defense and SU seems to be targeting high end D players (almost exclusively AA types or close to it). I do agree that you need to be careful with how many additional you make because high transfer teams can have issues meshing.

We saw this with Duke 2 years ago with Sowers, despite a ridiculous amount of talent, they never looked quite right. Ditto for G-town this past year. Rutgers had some good success with transfers but then got over reliant on them and crashed this past year when they couldn't get their A list group in portal. They have now tripled down and are about to bring in like a dozen + guys but many are taking a giant leap in competition.

I think SU was caught in between as the defense has some talent but it's been inconsistent and in several cases very injury prone with Mark having one year left I think they wanted to take a shot. I think you comment about "you'd rather have a talent rosters that's too big than a less talented roster that's a perfect size" is exactly the calculus the staff is making. There a risks involved for sure. Almost all the defensive additionals are grad guys so your taking a one time shot and guys like Kol, Clary, and Caccamo are all Sophs going into their Jr years.

I have to assume the Gettysburg pole will move to SSDM along with potentially Clary to help shore up that spot. Gonna take some work to keep everyone happy especially if Kol, Cacammo and other prior starters are all suddenly sitting the bench. Need some depth going into the following season especially if Scott red-shirts.
Transfers are a very complicated issue. Many of the posters have been incisive about the practice. Part of the magic of college sports resides in the wonder of witnessing kids develop over 4 years, from 4th team hangers on to 1st team mainstays. To me this is an argument against hoarding transfers every year. For example, take Sagaeder. He often dominated at Mt. Sinai, but struggled mightily last year. I still believe he will become an excellent LSM. With the number of dmen transfers this year, we may not see him on the field. My excitement for next season diminishes because there are some number of recruits we will not see.

Remaining competitive may require the new emphasis on transfers. I thought Kurst was a joy to watch last season as much for his enthusiasm as for the way his teammates responded to him. But how about Gtown. It took them 2/3 of the season to integrate the fine transfers they had collected. And now they are faced with a group of recruits who lost a year of experience.

Recognizing that the NCAA cannot ban transfers, I believe it could limit the number per team to maybe 2 or 3, thus widening the number of teams that might take advantage and evening the playing field. The current practice leaves me cold.

For me the important variable in transfer loading is integration. Georgetown provides a model. Their offense added some transfers

Transfers are a very complicated issue. Many of the posters have been incisive about the practice. Part of the magic of college sports resides in the wonder of witnessing kids develop over 4 years, from 4th team hangers on to 1st team mainstays. To me this is an argument against hoarding transfers every year. For example, take Sagaeder. He often dominated at Mt. Sinai, but struggled mightily last year. I still believe he will become an excellent LSM. With the number of dmen transfers this year, we may not see him on the field. My excitement for next season diminishes because there are some number of recruits we will not see.

Remaining competitive may require the new emphasis on transfers. I thought Kurst was a joy to watch last season as much for his enthusiasm as for the way his teammates responded to him. But how about Gtown. It took them 2/3 of the season to integrate the fine transfers they had collected. And now they are faced with a group of recruits who lost a year of experience.

Recognizing that the NCAA cannot ban transfers, I believe it could limit the number per team to maybe 2 or 3, thus widening the number of teams that might take advantage and evening the playing field. The current practice leaves me cold.
they can not limit transfers. the department of justice has told them that limitations that would be considered market deflating (for an athlete's rights here) would bring anti-trust action. and they would lose.

i believe it's possible conference guardrails may be viable, though i'm not 100 why. but i am 100 no conference would ever do that to itself.

there will be significantly fewer transfers next year and beyond once covid eligibility expires. the majority of transfers we're seeing now are grad students exercising the additional year granted by the NCAA due to covid. not all, but most. we could see the number of transfers next year cut in half...probably more. the portal makes it easier for undergrads to explore new opportunities so there will be more of those than there used to be but on the whole the insane gold rush of the last few years is going to end. rutgers is completely screwed, having developed almost none of their current players and some rough seas ahead on the recruiting trail

speaking of rutgers, however, i believe they've landed their fogo in utah's cole brams

Wait a sec- Cohen was a R-So this year. Did he graduate early?

Wait a sec- Cohen was a R-So this year. Did he graduate early?

His freshman year at Hopkins was 2020. So he’s been in school for four years. I think the SU website might not be accurate (it lists 2021 once for Hopkins and again for SU).

His freshman year at Hopkins was 2020. So he’s been in school for four years. I think the SU website might not be accurate (it lists 2021 once for Hopkins and again for SU).

2020: Played 1 game for Hop (doesn't count anyways)
2021: Season ending injury at Hop, didn't play.
2022: Played 1 game for Syracuse
2023: Played 5 games for Syracuse

Not counting 2020, and taking 2021 as a redshirt year, he would be a R-Jr in 2024.

I’d highly doubt that Cohen is going anywhere with his Culver buddies transferring in.

Speaking of which, Xanders’ article a while back mentioned that Sam English is pursuing an MBA at SU. It’s been established that he has 2 years of eligibility left. I know that nyclax said that to his knowledge, he only plans on playing another year but isn’t SU’s MBA program 24 months minimum? I guess he could join the workforce & continue to work towards it online. Just something to keep in mind.

If I was a top recruit, I would not commit to a team that is taking a lot of transfers. I think this is going to hurt teams like Syracuse, Rutgers, Michigan and Ohio State long term. I also think when a team does well with a bunch of transfers, it is not legit. Two or three transfers is cool but this is ridiculous. I understand that Gait and Petro's need to win now but this is not how you build a top program. There will be far less good transfers in the portal starting next year and the teams that developed players will eventually be on top. The Ivies for instance will have a drop off but will come back stronger than ever.