Class of 2022 - 247 summary | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 247 summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. x144.

We do a NATIONAL SEARCH.
We identify ALL of the best possible candidates.
(Having an affiliation to Syracuse is NOT required).

I’m pretty sure Hop & Red will be on the list, at least initially

Beyond that?
Remains to be seen who is (still) coaching where when that time finally arrives.

The only way(s) he retires after this season is/are:
-serious health issue.
or
- we win the Natty.

He didn’t just recruit these 5 guys, only to not be around to coach them.

Your lips to God's ear. This is exactly what should happen. But it seems more and more likely that JB will leave at a time when one of the assistants has to be given the job, at least on a trial basis. Then we will see what JW is made of - does a 19-12 type season justify keeping him, or do we go big. I know what I would want, but I have doubts that would be the outcome. Time will tell.

I think you have to discard last year almost totally as just a weird year with a terrible team. I think he’s closer to his first two years when he was the two time pac 12 coach of the year. 2019-2020 was a disaster. A combo of bad personnel, injuries and poor coaching and decisions. But he’s still managed to win in that dumpster fire of a preogram and would KILL it here.
That said I think naming alternatives is important because they’re really are none. Duke went Scheyer. We will absolutely hire an alum

I think he could kill it on the trail. Question is can he coach well enough to bring SU back to perennial top of the league status. Give me a Howard / Martelli situation where we have a proven X & O guy next to him and I think that could be a winning combination. I just really hope we do not settle for OK as the new good. Kind of where we have been for the past almost decade.

LOL.

OK - years of coaching experience.
3rd out of 3.

And I’ll leave it up to the crootin gurus to verify, but I’d be willing to bet that at this very moment, he still is the least successful recruiter of the 3.

People who’ve met him in person say he’s not the most charasmiatic or engaging dude.

He has ZERO non-Syracuse coaching experience.
Both Red & Griff have worked elsewhere.

I literally cannot think of any basis whatsoever that Gerry is a better HC candidate than Red or Griff.

Prove me wrong.

I asked how you defined accomplished. Not how many years someone has coached. Since they’re all at 10 years or more we are t talking any rookies.

You can do your own research on recruiting.

I’ve met him in person, several times. You don’t know him and going just along with a talking point. Ever see any of his interviews? Ever hear him talk about his coaching? All of our recruits even ones we don’t get seem to mention their relationship with Gerry. Weird for someone that has no charisma and isn’t engaging.

Thought this thread was supposed to be about this year’s great recruiting efforts and the recruit’s rankings. Instead it then mainly becomes an opinion piece to argue about a new coach. There are just some folks who can’t seem to be positive for more than a minute without going on a tangent putting a negative or controversial spin on good news. Recruits, their families and friends, SU fans etc expecting to read about 247’s ratings regarding our new additions are being introduced to some favorite activities - thread hijacking. Strange.

How about some old zone vs man arguments? :rolleyes:
New to this planet?

Why crazy? There’s an odd disparity in basketball between the race of the players that play the game and the race of the players that coach the game. Fortunate that we have diversity on our staff, but if they went with GMac that conversation could and should occur.
Crazy because I think that SU is going to hire the best person for the job and not hire based on race.

I think he could kill it on the trail. Question is can he coach well enough to bring SU back to perennial top of the league status. Give me a Howard / Martelli situation where we have a proven X & O guy next to him and I think that could be a winning combination. I just really hope we do not settle for OK as the new good. Kind of where we have been for the past almost decade.
Zero doubt in my mind he can coach.

I asked how you defined accomplished. Not how many years someone has coached. Since they’re all at 10 years or more we are t talking any rookies.

You can do your own research on recruiting.

I’ve met him in person, several times. You don’t know him and going just along with a talking point. Ever see any of his interviews? Ever hear him talk about his coaching? All of our recruits even ones we don’t get seem to mention their relationship with Gerry. Weird for someone that has no charisma and isn’t engaging.
I wasnt in Gmacs camp until i had a chance to get a better understanding of him and now i actually think that he is going to make a heck of a head coach. Both Red and Gmac are qualified and i dont think that SU could go wrong with either one of them. I certanily hope that JW doesnt hire Red because he is black nor Gmac because he is white because of all the schools out there Syracuse has proven itself to be an equal opportunity employer. Just pick one of those two and we are going to be fine. Personally it think it sucks that one of them wont get the job.

This coaching thing should be fairly easy, I'd think.

Red is currently the Associate Head Coach.

GMac is not.

Ergo, Red gets the job. At least based on current circumstances.

And to get back to the class rankings, this is not a top ten class in that it
is not going to help you immediately. I don't think any of these players
are going to be ones that will be major contributors for a few seasons.

But long term potential, IF all the players develop, they could all turn out
to be very solid. Here's hoping that SU can coach and develop them, and
that they don't depart too quickly.

Kev

This class reminds me of Forth‘s class that set up Carmelo and GMAC. It was the foundation for the national championship team. We need a couple of stud offensive players in next years class to make another championship run.
You mean Warrick’s class.

Zero doubt in my mind he can coach.
I think xs and os he'd be great and very few would work the harder the issue is what gets questioned here all the time is recruiting.

I’m going to believe the classes with Carmelo and Gerry, and DC and Stevie are better, plus the one with Flynn, Greene, Scoop, and Rick as well as Waiters, Fair, and Fab.

Gotta have a “generational talent” to be the best.
I agree, and the Winfred Walton, Etan Thomas, LaSean Howard, Rock Lloyd and Jason Hart class was loaded. It didn’t work out for three of those guys, but that is a lot of talent.

Red is the next HC. Gmac is the next Assoc. HC. If Hop gets canned he is out of the running. If he turns it around he stays in Seattle. Who wouldn't? Picture this conversation: Honey, pack your bags, we're leaving Seattle for Syracuse.

And what if he can't coach, as is becoming increasingly evident?

Doesn't matter who my short list is -- I'd prefer due diligence to find the best candidate. This is an attractive job, there's no need to limit our candidate pool to only in-house options. And frankly, given the extended phase of mediocrity that the program has slipped into, a clean break and an infusion of fresh ideas and new approaches are what's needed to jump start the program.

Bill Belichick was a terrible coach when he was with the Browns. Somehow he learned from that experience and is now in the conversation for best coach ever... One major difference is the team building in New England was superior, but Bill had stated outright that failing taught him a lot.

One thing about Hopkins is that we know he can recruit. He is an absolutely magnetic personality that pulls in impressive talent. Unlike in the NFL, being able to pull in talent is a huge part of the job. The hope is that, in addition to being a top recruiter, Hopkins will also learn from failing and become a great in game coach.

If so, I hope he does it here.

If not, thank God we dodged the bum. :)

My fear is that we promote a guy in house that has never been a head coach and we kill the program for a generation. Remember when firing Pasqualoni was a good idea? Football still hasn't recovered. Hiring the wrong guy to replace JB might do the same to basketball. I don't envy the persons making the decision.

Bill Belichick was a terrible coach when he was with the Browns. Somehow he learned from that experience and is now in the conversation for best coach ever... One major difference is the team building in New England was superior, but Bill had stated outright that failing taught him a lot.

One thing about Hopkins is that we know he can recruit. He is an absolutely magnetic personality that pulls in impressive talent. Unlike in the NFL, being able to pull in talent is a huge part of the job. The hope is that, in addition to being a top recruiter, Hopkins will also learn from failing and become a great in game coach.

If so, I hope he does it here.

If not, thank God we dodged the bum. :)

My fear is that we promote a guy in house that has never been a head coach and we kill the program for a generation. Remember when firing Pasqualoni was a good idea? Football still hasn't recovered. Hiring the wrong guy to replace JB might do the same to basketball. I don't envy the persons making the decision.

Fair, but that could just indicate that compared to the currently generally unqualified in-house candidates, he's the skinniest elephant in the pen.

And what if he can't coach, as is becoming increasingly evident?

Doesn't matter who my short list is -- I'd prefer due diligence to find the best candidate. This is an attractive job, there's no need to limit our candidate pool to only in-house options. And frankly, given the extended phase of mediocrity that the program has slipped into, a clean break and an infusion of fresh ideas and new approaches are what's needed to jump start the program.
Why do people repeat this cliche? He can’t coach? Of course he can. Coaching is not a binary, pass/fail thing. All coaches land on a spectrum and have different strengths and weaknesses. Hop won PAC-12 coach of the year. He CAN coach. Things have gone sideways the past two seasons but I think he’ll turn it around. We just need him to get back to winning at Washington and landing in the top half of that conference and then Syracuse can consider taking him again. JB isn’t close to retirement yet, so Hop has some time to get it going again at UW.

Expecting a national search for a new coach seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment. Forget about what should be done and think about what will be done and has been done in the past by other big time programs when a legacy hangs then up. Alumni coaching elsewhere or alumni from the assistant coach stable.

His wife is from Syracuse, so I can picture it.
I've lived in both cities. Enough said. I like Syracuse. I ski. Seattle is special in many ways, especially if you are making millions. It has it all.

Hop went below 50% in a weak conference and not for lack of talent. JB would not have let that happen. Hop is an asset for recruiting but most of us are leary of his coaching. He is a players coach. That is not always the way to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom