3 of the 4 teams that had byes lost last night. | Syracusefan.com

3 of the 4 teams that had byes lost last night.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I've never particularly cared for this format, and I'm not even sure there's a better way, but it seems historically, this 2nd round there are more upsets than any other round. Would love to see a few of the 1-4's lose tonight. But I don't think anyone would be surprised if Pitt and Virginia lose. And UNC possibly.

You want to play the least amount of games always. Always always.

I've never particularly cared for this format, and I'm not even sure there's a better way, but it seems historically, this 2nd round there are more upsets than any other round. Would love to see a few of the 1-4's lose tonight. But I don't think anyone would be surprised if Pitt and Virginia lose. And UNC possibly.
They are going to have to change the format next year with 20 teams in the league.

I'd like to see them eliminate the double bye.

Day 1, have the bottom 8 teams play for a spot in the second round. The second round would have the top 12 seeds plus the four winners from round one. No double bye. Champion would have to win four games (five if you were a bottom 8 seed.)

They are going to have to change the format next year with 20 teams in the league.

Day 1, have the bottom 8 teams play for a spot in the second round. The second round would have the top 12 seeds plus the four winners from round one. No double bye. Champion would have to win four games (five if you were a bottom 8 seed.)

18 teams in the league next year. Up from 15 this year.

No changes to ACCT format for 2025.

With ya, here from best to worst chance in order are the 3 dogs that I think can pull the upset today.
1. FSU (has athletes to match up vs.NC)
2. BC (no confidence in UVA)
3. NCSU (not likely to beat Duke, Duke would have to play terrible.

Pitt and Wake to me are equal. Either team winning is no surprise.

It's actually pretty bad business for the ACC to protect the top four teams so much with a double bye. Most of the time, those teams already have their NCAA bids locked up.

If the conferences wants the most teams possible in the tournament, it should generally want some upsets and bid steals to happen. I think their focus has been on getting as many UNC/Duke matchups in the championship game for ratings as possible, but I wouldn't be shocked if the ratings weren't much worse if the championship game was a bid stealer against a Duke/UNC/Cuse program with a massive fanbase. All the bubble watchers around the country would be keeping an eye on it.

I also think they should prioritize teams in the tournament over ratings for the conference title game, but good luck convincing Tobacco Road of that.

It's actually pretty bad business for the ACC to protect the top four teams so much with a double bye. Most of the time, those teams already have their NCAA bids locked up.

If the conferences wants the most teams possible in the tournament, it should generally want some upsets and bid steals to happen. I think their focus has been on getting as many UNC/Duke matchups in the championship game for ratings as possible, but I wouldn't be shocked if the ratings weren't much worse if the championship game was a bid stealer against a Duke/UNC/Cuse program with a massive fanbase. All the bubble watchers around the country would be keeping an eye on it.

I also think they should prioritize teams in the tournament over ratings for the conference title game, but good luck convincing Tobacco Road of that.
The ACC will do everything to protect Duke and UNC over every other concern.

You want to reward teams for the regular season. The math of it means a max of 5 games in a day, not 8 as you propose. And even 5 they don't really want to do as you cannot charge fans twice in a day.

I would like to see the entire ACC play and not leave out the bottom 3.

Day 1
9 seed vs 18 seed
10 vs 17
11 vs 16
12 vs 15
13 vs 14

Day 2
4 vs 13/14
5 vs 12/15
6 vs 11/16
7 vs 10/17
8 vs 9/18

Day 3 QFs
1 vs 8/9/18
2 vs 7/10/17
3 vs 6/11/16
4/13/14 vs 5/12/15

Day 4 Semis

Day 5 CG

We accomplished that mission with vigor.
i don't want to sound like i was too pessimistic but i had already booked a 6:30 thur at arad evans before we even played the pack. watched nc st. take down duke at the wood grill.

I kind of want the ACC to get screwed and only Duke, UNC, and UVA make it. Would LOVE Clemson to be left out along with Wake. Don't mind Pitt this year since we beat them 2x cool with them getting in.

A10 had all of their top 4 seeds (those with double byes) lose. Ironically, this is not the first time it has happened (2006). The good news for the conference though is that it should lead to a multi-bid league, assuming Dayton still gets an at-large.

They also lost their first game. Duke did. Not exactly ‘protected.’
Huh? The system that gave them the double bye protected them from even playing. The original post was about how the double bye is an unfair system that protects the top of the league which most of the time is the ACC’s golden boys. That they lost *this time* does not mean the system is fair

You want to reward teams for the regular season. The math of it means a max of 5 games in a day, not 8 as you propose. And even 5 they don't really want to do as you cannot charge fans twice in a day.

I would like to see the entire ACC play and not leave out the bottom 3.

Day 1
9 seed vs 18 seed
10 vs 17
11 vs 16
12 vs 15
13 vs 14

Day 2
4 vs 13/14
5 vs 12/15
6 vs 11/16
7 vs 10/17
8 vs 9/18

Day 3 QFs
1 vs 8/9/18
2 vs 7/10/17
3 vs 6/11/16
4/13/14 vs 5/12/15

Day 4 Semis

Day 5 CG
I don't get sticking with a 15-team tournament. 15 is an awkward number.

Go for 16. 4 games Tuesday. The 4 winners would play vs. teams 5 thru 8 Wednesday. 8 teams remain for quarterfinals Thursday. Then semis, finals.

They play 4 games on Wed. and Thur. now. Why play only 3 games on the first day?

Huh? The system that gave them the double bye protected them from even playing. The original post was about how the double bye is an unfair system that protects the top of the league which most of the time is the ACC’s golden boys. That they lost *this time* does not mean the system is fair
Why does it have to be fair? Play better all year and enjoy the benefits of that hard work.

Why does it have to be fair? Play better all year and enjoy the benefits of that hard work.
Exactly. That’s the kind of whining we used to laugh at other schools for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom