3 seed | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

3 seed

You're right I didn't. So now they've just won 15 of 18 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke. Do you think that is falling apart? I think they've definitely hurt thier chances for a #1 seed but for some here (not you) to assume that SU is going to stroll by them with a higher seed is goofy.
I think you also have to look at their two games prior to the Wake debacle (in which they were spanked by 15) - they played really poorly against Virginia and Clemson, and were lucky to win those games.
So yeah, I'd say Miami is reeling a bit.

That's a fair point. But prior to this potential run we would have lost 6 of our last 11 with only the ND win really qualifying as a decent win. The bottom line in that period is that whenever we played a good team we lost. That's all I'm trying to say. I don't think the results over the last 11 games can be swept under the table that quickly or completely erased by a great BET run.

I agree, but at some point the committee is going to look at the body of work, I think.

The committee does say they got away from using the last 12 games as a standard, but even if they didn't, the Pitt and Nova losses were a long time ago. If we ran the table from here, we'd go 8-4 in the last 12 with 5 of the 8 wins over teams in the top half of the tournament draw. (And all 4 of the losses to tournament teams, with the exception of UConn, who would be a bubble team at worst if they were eligible)

dude what is this "down the stretch" bs? you look at the entire season. the committee doesnt look at last 10 games anymore. if we beat gtown they'll finish 1 game ahead of us in the conference. then if we go further than them in the big east tourny how exactly is gtowns resume that much better than ours? because they just won 10 in a row or whatever? thats irrelevant. its about the entire package.

Agree to a point. But you seem to think the committee just reads pieces of paper and makes a decision. I've got a newsflash for ya, dude. These folks have very likely seen our nationally televised games against Gtown, Lville, Pitt, UConn, Nova etc. and I am sure they came away wondering if our squad could throw the ball in the ocean. Not only did we lose but we looked pretty ugly doing it. It's just human nature that these guys are likely to remember that and put more emphasis on those games rather than games that took place 6-10 weeks ago.

I think you also have to look at their two games prior to the Wake debacle (in which they were spanked by 15) - they played really poorly against Virginia and Clemson, and were lucky to win those games.
So yeah, I'd say Miami is reeling a bit.

No doubt they've probably damaged any shot of getting a 1 seed. But the Canes have accomplished a helluva lot more than we have to date imo.

I agree, but at some point the committee is going to look at the body of work, I think.

The committee does say they got away from using the last 12 games as a standard, but even if they didn't, the Pitt and Nova losses were a long time ago. If we ran the table from here, we'd go 8-4 in the last 12 with 5 of the 8 wins over teams in the top half of the tournament draw. (And all 4 of the losses to tournament teams, with the exception of UConn, who would be a bubble team at worst if they were eligible)

That would definitely help alleviate the stench from a tough last 3-4 weeks and improve our seeding prospects. But the problem is there are at least 8-10 teams out there that will have accomplished more even if SU does run the table. SU is not pushing them out to get a 2 seed regardless of what happens next week.

This is all non-sense and pretty easy to analysis
if Syracuse beats Georgetown and wins the BET- 2 seed
if Syracuse beats Georgetown, and gets to Friday nite- 3 seed
if Syracuse beats Georgetown and loses to Pitt on Thursday- 4 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and gets to Saturday nite- 3 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and gets to Friday nite- 4 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and loses to Pitt- 5 seed
we aren't going to fall below a 5 seed and won't get above a 2 seed. We are most likely going to be a 4 seed unless we beat Georgetown on Saturday. Beating Georgetown on Saturday increases the odds very highly that we will be a 3 seed.

This is all non-sense and pretty easy to analysis
if Syracuse beats Georgetown and wins the BET- 2 seed
if Syracuse beats Georgetown, and gets to Friday nite- 3 seed
if Syracuse beats Georgetown and loses to Pitt on Thursday- 4 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and gets to Saturday nite- 3 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and gets to Friday nite- 4 seed
if Syracuse loses to Georgetown and loses to Pitt- 5 seed
we aren't going to fall below a 5 seed and won't get above a 2 seed. We are most likely going to be a 4 seed unless we beat Georgetown on Saturday. Beating Georgetown on Saturday increases the odds very highly that we will be a 3 seed.

What if all of the best teams do reasonably well in their respective tournaments? KU, FLA and Gonz all do ok in their tournaments- btw none of them are falling below a 2 even they lost a first round game. Let's say the top four teams in the B10 advance to at least the semifinals and Duke and Miami go fairly deep into the ACC tourney? We're supposed to climb over a few of them because we won the BET. I don't think so.

What if all of the best teams do reasonably well in their respective tournaments? KU, FLA and Gonz all do ok in their tournaments- btw none of them are falling below a 2 even they lost a first round game. Let's say the top four teams in the B10 advance to at least the semifinals and Duke and Miami go fairly deep into the ACC tourney? We're supposed to climb over a few of them because we won the BET. I don't think so.

I think I may agree with your main point, but Lunardi has Florida as a 3 right now. They would definitely not get a 2 if they lost their first round SEC tournament game.

KU and Gonzaga I agree.

Committees in the recent past have put a decent amount of importance to conference tournaments. If Syracuse wins @GU a top 10 RPI and won the BET we will be on the 2 line. I am not saying its likely, but it will happen. 2 B1G teams, Gonzaga, Kansas, Duke, Miami are locks to be 2 top seeds, I believe Louisville is also a lock IMO. That 8th team will come from Florida, Georgetown, 3rd B1G, potential BET champ, but Florida is not guaranteed a 2 seed even if they won the SEC Tournament, SU would most likely get 2 really good wins in the BET while Florida won't have the same wins that a BET champ would. I don't believe we win the BET and beat Georgetown, but if we do we will be a 2 seed. I think a 3 seed is very likely if we beat Georgetown this weekend if not I believe we will be a 4 seed.

I think his point was that if your the top dog in a top 3 conference during the regular season and you bow out early in the BE or your tourney, it does not mean you're going to drop from a 1 or 2 to a 4 seed. Meaning, G'town is a lock to finish ahead of SU wrt seeding no matter how the BE plays out - I agree with this and disagree with those that say that February does not matter as you have to look at the whole seson. Unless SU wins the BE, I see them as a 4 seed playing in Indy vs. IU or Arlington vs. Kansas. If we lose Saturday and then in the 1st round of the BE, I think we end up as a 5 somewhere far from home.
you know we play them on Saturday right?

You're right I didn't. So now they've just won 15 of 18 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke. Do you think that is falling apart? I think they've definitely hurt thier chances for a #1 seed but for some here (not you) to assume that SU is going to stroll by them with a higher seed is goofy.
fun with numbers, you say 15 of 18, I say 15 of 20, who's counting? :D

Committees in the recent past have put a decent amount of importance to conference tournaments. If Syracuse wins @GU a top 10 RPI and won the BET we will be on the 2 line. I am not saying its likely, but it will happen. 2 B1G teams, Gonzaga, Kansas, Duke, Miami are locks to be 2 top seeds, I believe Louisville is also a lock IMO. That 8th team will come from Florida, Georgetown, 3rd B1G, potential BET champ, but Florida is not guaranteed a 2 seed even if they won the SEC Tournament, SU would most likely get 2 really good wins in the BET while Florida won't have the same wins that a BET champ would. I don't believe we win the BET and beat Georgetown, but if we do we will be a 2 seed. I think a 3 seed is very likely if we beat Georgetown this weekend if not I believe we will be a 4 seed.

Extremely unlikely that SU is a # 2 seed even if they win the BET. Let's monitor the situation because if it looks like that it might be a reality then I will be willing to bet you whatever you want that doesn't happen. And just beating GU saturday will not be enough to get a #3 seed. We'll need to win two more games in the BET.

Those that think SU could get a 2 seed by winning out are off base for two reasons. 1) you assume there is some sort of parity btw the BE and the B10. There are four very strong teams in the B10 and there is NFW that SU will be seeded higher than any of them. IMO the Committee will rightfully determine the B10 to be a much stronger conference; 2) while they're not the only ones, SU's OOC schedule was rather soft and that won't help either.

some of your assumptions are so wrong its funny.

1-committee doesnt compare conferencences they compare teams individual teams
2-2 of the 4 bigten teams we could easily pass with a strong bet(michigan state and ohio state)
3-syracuse absolutely will be a 2 seed if they win out and will be seeded higher than georgetown in the same scenario.

fun with numbers, you say 15 of 18, I say 15 of 20, who's counting? :D

I don't care if Miami loses to Stetson over the weekend. We will not be a higher seed than Miami.;)

if miami loses to clemson this weekend then loses there 1st acc tourney game vs gorgia tech /bc they will be at best a 4 seed so we could be seeded higher as miami has several BAD losses out of conference

some of your assumptions are so wrong its funny.

1-committee doesnt compare conferencences they compare teams individual teams
2-2 of the 4 bigten teams we could easily pass with a strong bet(michigan state and ohio state)
3-syracuse absolutely will be a 2 seed if they win out and will be seeded higher than georgetown in the same scenario.

1- that's just stupid. They know if you lose a couple of hard fought games in a brutally tough conference that it is more impressive than losing games to Nova, Pitt, UConn, etc. You're nuts if you think otherwise. And how the hell can you compare teams if you don't consider the quality of play in their conference?
2- What if OSU and MSU meet in the finals of the B10? You still think SU passes them? Of course not.
3- As I said above if there is any way to bet on such a scenario I am all ears. Be nice to see you put your money where your mouth is.

The orange goggle approach is pretty amazing. My guess is that some of you guys have a wife named Marge, a son named Bart, a boss named Mr. Burns and a weakness for doughnuts.

if miami loses to clemson this weekend then loses there 1st acc tourney game vs gorgia tech /bc they will be at best a 4 seed so we could be seeded higher as miami has several BAD losses out of conference

And if we lose to GU and the first round of the BET then we'll be even lower than that.

But according to bpo those non conference losses don't count cuz they happened so long ago. Who cares what miami did in december, they've won 15 out of 18! The committee doesn't care we're the only team to win at arkansas and at louisville, they're only gonna focus on our losses to uconn and pitt since they're more recent :eek:

But according to bpo those non conference losses don't count cuz they happened so long ago. Who cares what miami did in december, they've won 15 out of 18! The committee doesn't care we're the only team to win at arkansas and at louisville, they're only gonna focus on our losses to uconn and pitt since they're more recent :eek:

LOL. Your argument would have more juice if we actually played a tough OOC sked but we all know that wasn't the case. What's arkansas's rpi 83?

I guess the top 60 OOC wins over Mich State, Lasalle and Detroit don't count, huh?

Extremely unlikely that SU is a # 2 seed even if they win the BET. Let's monitor the situation because if it looks like that it might be a reality then I will be willing to bet you whatever you want that doesn't happen. And just beating GU saturday will not be enough to get a #3 seed. We'll need to win two more games in the BET.
You realize that if we beat Georgetown on Saturday they won't win the regular season BE title it will most likely be Marquette and Louisville if they beat ND. Georgetown would be 13-5 vs Syracuse being 12-6 Georgetown's x2 opponents were Rutgers, Marquette, Syracuse, St. John's vs. Syracuse x2 opponents Villanova, Providence, Georgetown, Louisville. All of Syracuse's x2 opponents will complete the Big East season 9-9 in fact if PC beats UConn all of them will be above .500. Georgetown never went to Pitt, Louisville, and their tough road games were Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Marquette, and Villanova. The committee would analysis the Syracuse schedule and Georgetown schedule easily deduce that Syracuse's Big East schedule was clearly more difficult than Georgetown's and if we beat them on Saturday and win 1 game in New York at the BET we will be a 3 seed. If, we win out which I highly we will be a 2 seed and the fact you disagree is your opinion, but its not going to be true. The only Big East team that is clearly above Syracuse and will remain is Louisville. Georgetown and Marquette can be passed if Syracuse beats Georgetown and beats Pitt in the BET. If Syracuse won the BET it would clearly pass GU and Marquette. The B1G 3rd team isn't going to be above SU if SU wins the BET.

You realize that if we beat Georgetown on Saturday they won't win the regular season BE title it will most likely be Marquette and Louisville if they beat ND. Georgetown would be 13-5 vs Syracuse being 12-6 Georgetown's x2 opponents were Rutgers, Marquette, Syracuse, St. John's vs. Syracuse x2 opponents Villanova, Providence, Georgetown, Louisville. All of Syracuse's x2 opponents will complete the Big East season 9-9 in fact if PC beats UConn all of them will be above .500. Georgetown never went to Pitt, Louisville, and their tough road games were Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Marquette, and Villanova. The committee would analysis the Syracuse schedule and Georgetown schedule easily deduce that Syracuse's Big East schedule was clearly more difficult than Georgetown's and if we beat them on Saturday and win 1 game in New York at the BET we will be a 3 seed. If, we win out which I highly we will be a 2 seed and the fact you disagree is your opinion, but its not going to be true. The only Big East team that is clearly above Syracuse and will remain is Louisville. Georgetown and Marquette can be passed if Syracuse beats Georgetown and beats Pitt in the BET. If Syracuse won the BET it would clearly pass GU and Marquette. The B1G 3rd team isn't going to be above SU if SU wins the BET.

OK that's great that we would climb over gtown. What about KU, Duke, Gonz, FLA, IU, MSU, UM, OSU, Miami, Lousiville, etc. How are we climbing over those teams to secure a #2 not to mention even AZ and NM who have higher rpis than SU? You act as if all we have to do is win and who cares about what these other teams do. You're going to be sadly mistaken 10 days from now if SU does win the BET.

LOL. Your argument would have more juice if we actually played a tough OOC sked but we all know that wasn't the case. What's arkansas's rpi 83?

That same arkansas team waxed a florida team you're so sure wont fall below the 2 line. What cuse game did we lose as bad as florida lost to arkansas?

you know we play them on Saturday right?

I'm well of where of that and thanks for pointing it out as my opinion still stands. Feel free to mock it because it does not tow the orange line. Answer the main point of my post... who in the committee room will be watching out for our back? On selection Sunday night, I can't wait for the selection committee screwed us again thread.

OK that's great that we would climb over gtown. What about KU, Duke, Gonz, FLA, IU, MSU, UM, OSU, Miami, Lousiville, etc. How are we climbing over those teams to secure a #2 not to mention even AZ and NM who have higher rpis than SU? You act as if all we have to do is win and who cares about what these other teams do. You're going to be sadly mistaken 10 days from now if SU does win the BET.
SU winning out > FLA winning out. Also, Florida has to go to Rupp Arena this weekend and faces a desperate Kentucky. Also, Syracuse won @Arkansas and Florida lost @Arkansas. Florida is a great team on paper, but their resume would CLEARLY be inferior to Syracuse's resume if Syracuse won the BET. Florida's best road win is against whom? Florida State? Georgia? Florida has good wins against Wisconsin and Marquette at home, but the committee wouldn't give them a 2 seed over a Syracuse team winning @Georgetown and winning 4 games in 4 days in NYC. Get it through your head the B1G IS NOT GETTING 4 teams as 1/2 seeds. One of MSU or UM will be a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament the other team will be a 3 seed. UM doesn't have that strong a resume they are living on hype and don't think that lose at Penn State isn't a red herring. They beat MSU at home to basically cancel out that horrendous loss. If SU wins out these will be the 2 top lines Gonzaga, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Miami, Louisville, MSU/UM, SU. This is moot though because I don't believe SU is going to win out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom