3 seed | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

3 seed

For example, if we beat Gtown on Sat, they're going to finish 1 game ahead of us in the standings. If we then win the BET, especially if it includes beating Gtown on the way, it's not exactly ridiculous for us to be seeded ahead of them, is it?

If we beat Gtown Saturday, and go further than them in the BET, it's ridiculous for us not to be slotted ahead of them.

Someone didn't watch the Miami-Ga Tech game last night...

You're right I didn't. So now they've just won 15 of 18 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke. Do you think that is falling apart? I think they've definitely hurt thier chances for a #1 seed but for some here (not you) to assume that SU is going to stroll by them with a higher seed is goofy.

You're right I didn't. So now they've just won 15 of 18 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke. Do you think that is falling apart? I think they've definitely hurt thier chances for a #1 seed but for some here (not you) to assume that SU is going to stroll by them with a higher seed is goofy.

i think, regardless of the final outcome, we can't leapfrog miami

The Duke loss doesn't concern me. In fact I was impressed that they kept it so close.

The home loss to RPI 119 and the road loss to RPI 168 concern me. A team that pulls that feat off within a 4 game stretch, after winning 14 in a row, is a candidate for a team that is falling apart.

If we beat Gtown Saturday, and go further than them in the BET, it's ridiculous for us not to be slotted ahead of them.

They finish ahead of us in the conference and play much better down the stretch but then we move ahead of them because we do better in the BET? Not happening.

In 2010 we lost our first game in the BET and we still were a #1 seed.

They finish ahead of us in the conference and play much better down the stretch but then we move ahead of them because we do better in the BET? Not happening.
The scenario is we beat them saturday, so they finish 1 game ahead of us in the conference.

We beat them in the BET, giving us a 2-1 season series win, and an equal # of conf losses.

We then win the BET by beating Ville or Marquette.

Not saying it will happen. Just asking about the result if it does.

Do you think they are still ahead of us?

I think you're putting a little too much emphasis on how teams close. Though in this scenario, SU is going to close really strong (win their last 6, and 4 of them against tournament teams, all on the road or at a neutral site) and Gtown is going to lose 3 out of 4 or something to end the season.

If we win out I am pretty sure we get a 2 seed. Uconn went from like a 8 a seed to a 3 seed by winning the BET. I know they won 5 in a row but it's still not unreasonable giving the way college bball is paning out for us to jump 2 spots.

I disagree with all of those scenarios.

SU could win the BET on saturday and beat the Knicks on Selection Sunday at MSG and we're not getting a 2 seed. You guys are placing WAY too much emphasis on the BET. How does a team that may not even get a first round bye in its conference tournament shoot up to a #2 seed in the NCAAs? Which four of these 11 teams does SU jump over to get a #2 seed? Gonz, Duke, Miami, FLA, IU, UM, MSU, KU, OSU, Lville and Gtown.

And if SU loses its next two then we won't be a five seed either. Those scenarios are inflated by at least one seed across the board.

uconn went 9-9 in the big east in 2011. they won the big east tourny and got a 3 seed in the tournament.

Loc
I have a tough time believing we will get a three with 7+ losses unless we beat Georgetown and make a good run in the BET. I think this team is destined to be a 4 seed, maybe even a 5 depending on how the season finishes out.
ked into a 4 right now no matter what happens IMHO

dude what is this "down the stretch" bs? you look at the entire season. the committee doesnt look at last 10 games anymore. if we beat gtown they'll finish 1 game ahead of us in the conference. then if we go further than them in the big east tourny how exactly is gtowns resume that much better than ours? because they just won 10 in a row or whatever? thats irrelevant. its about the entire package.

In 2010 we lost our first game in the BET and we still were a #1 seed.

We were also 28-3 and had locked up a 1 seed prior to that tournament.

If we run the table we'll lock a 3 and have a great chance at a 2 depending on what some of the other teams do in their tournaments.

I think 1 seeds are typically handled differently than the rest of the field. 1 seeds are rewards for the regular seasons best teams. Teams that clearly stood out have those locked in prior to the conf tournies.

3 seeds and below seem to be fair game for the teams that have good to average resumes coming into the conf tournies, but put together great runs to conf tourney championships.

Regardless of anything else, with potentially 5 games left in the season, and potentially 4 of those games against top 50 RPI teams, we are not locked into anything at this point (aside from the tourney field itself ;)).

I think in general I agree with you on the 1 seeds, but I think this is such a weird season that the 1 seeds aren't as locked in as they usually are at this point.

I think in general I agree with you on the 1 seeds, but I think this is such a weird season that the 1 seeds aren't as locked in as they usually are at this point.
I agree on this.

Just wanted to separate them out, because 1 seeds don't typically go to the team that puts on a run to end the year (for example, a team like we could be...).

I think you're putting a little too much emphasis on how teams close. Though in this scenario, SU is going to close really strong (win their last 6, and 4 of them against tournament teams, all on the road or at a neutral site) and Gtown is going to lose 3 out of 4 or something to end the season.

I'm just counting a longer period of time than four days.

I think his point was that if your the top dog in a top 3 conference during the regular season and you bow out early in the BE or your tourney, it does not mean you're going to drop from a 1 or 2 to a 4 seed. Meaning, G'town is a lock to finish ahead of SU wrt seeding no matter how the BE plays out - I agree with this and disagree with those that say that February does not matter as you have to look at the whole seson. Unless SU wins the BE, I see them as a 4 seed playing in Indy vs. IU or Arlington vs. Kansas. If we lose Saturday and then in the 1st round of the BE, I think we end up as a 5 somewhere far from home.

I think his point was that if your the top dog in a top 3 conference during the regular season and you bow out early in the BE or your tourney, it does not mean you're going to drop from a 1 or 2 to a 4 seed. Meaning, G'town is a lock to finish ahead of SU wrt seeding no matter how the BE plays out - I agree with this and disagree with those that say that February does not matter as you have to look at the whole seson. Unless SU wins the BE, I see them as a 4 seed playing in Indy vs. IU or Arlington vs. Kansas. If we lose Saturday and then in the 1st round of the BE, I think we end up as a 5 somewhere far from home.

The big difference is that we were almost a wire to wire top 5 team that dominated the BE that season. Georgetown isnt and is only rising as of the past month so I dont think it necessarily is the same. Bottom line is if we beat them Saturday and beat them in the BET we will be ahead of them on the curve.

Those that think SU could get a 2 seed by winning out are off base for two reasons. 1) you assume there is some sort of parity btw the BE and the B10. There are four very strong teams in the B10 and there is NFW that SU will be seeded higher than any of them. IMO the Committee will rightfully determine the B10 to be a much stronger conference; 2) while they're not the only ones, SU's OOC schedule was rather soft and that won't help either.

The big difference is that we were almost a wire to wire top 5 team that dominated the BE that season. Georgetown isnt and is only rising as of the past month so I dont think it necessarily is the same. Bottom line is if we beat them Saturday and beat them in the BET we will be ahead of them on the curve.

We dominated the BE until we started playing the better teams.

I'm just counting a longer period of time than four days.

Right, but I think to say 4 days is a little misleading, since it's 4 wins in 4 days. That's the equivalent of 2 weeks during the season.

If there was no BET, and instead we just won our last 5 games of the regular season, beating Gtown twice, Marquette, and Pitt, would that be a stronger close to the season than winnign the BET because it happened over a longer period of time, even if it was the same number of games?

Right, but I think to say 4 days is a little misleading, since it's 4 wins in 4 days. That's the equivalent of 2 weeks during the season.

If there was no BET, and instead we just won our last 5 games of the regular season, beating Gtown twice, Marquette, and Pitt, would that be a stronger close to the season than winnign the BET because it happened over a longer period of time, even if it was the same number of games?

That's a fair point. But prior to this potential run we would have lost 6 of our last 11 with only the ND win really qualifying as a decent win. The bottom line in that period is that whenever we played a good team we lost. That's all I'm trying to say. I don't think the results over the last 11 games can be swept under the table that quickly or completely erased by a great BET run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom