4.7 seconds left | Syracusefan.com

4.7 seconds left

SWC75

Bored Historian
Paige hit his shot and Villanova called a time out with 4.7 seconds left.

1987:

quizzical.gif

Can't watch.

could the coach call timeout back then? I don't remember

First thing I thought of ... losing like that hurts worse than any other type of loss.

Worst post ever SWC. You really needed to post that? People have gone to great lengths not to see that shot again. I closed my eyes or changed the channel every time the CBS college intro played when it was on it for like 20 years.

I would like to officially take back all of the likes that I've given you, SWC. Talk about a kick in the nuts. Just when I thought it sucked to be UNC right now, you do this. You spoil my fun!

First thing I thought of ... losing like that hurts worse than any other type of loss.

MIke Greenberg posted a poll on ESPN: would you rather lose like North Carolina did or lose like Oklahoma did. It's a stupid poll, as he later admitted because Oklahoma was humiliated. On the show this morning, Greenberg suggested a better comparison would be UNC's loss vs. the way Syracuse lost. He felt it would be easier for Syracuse to take- it wasn't a humiliation and it wasn't a spear in the chest, just a loss. Golick totally disagreed. The competitor in him wanted to lose, if he had to, by the closest margin.

Of course the problem with polls is that they over-simpily things: Syracuse wasn't supposed to be there so making the Final Four was a great achievement. The other three teams had all been ranked #1 at different points this year and they had all been thinking "national championship" for months.

I think that if you separate what you thought about it from how you feel about it, it becomes obvious which kind of loss you can deal with the best. Syracuse lost to Kentucky by 16 in 1975 in a game very similar to this year's game vs. UNC. They lost by 9 to a Kentucky team that had 9 future NBA players in 1996. They lost by 5 to Michigan in a disappointing performance marred by some questionable officiating three years ago. None of that compares to what happened in 1987.

Last edited:
Back then the clock didn't stop automatically after makes in the last minute like it does today. The clock was ticking while they were in a state of shock, instead of them getting a few seconds to get it out of their system. Had the clock stopped, they might have gotten it together and drew up a play...who knows.

MIke Greenberg posted a poll on ESPN: would you rather lose like North Carolina did or lose like Oklahoma did. It's a stupid poll, as he later admitted because Oklahoma was humiliated. On the show this morning, Greenberg suggested a better comparison would be UNC's loss vs. the way Syracuse lost. He felt it would be easier for Syracuse to take- it wasn't a humiliation and it wasn't a spear in the chest, just a loss. Golick totally disagreed. The competitor in him wanted to lose, if he had to, by the closest margin.

Of course the problem with polls is that they over-simpily things: Syracuse wasn't supposed to be there so making the Final Four was a great achievement. The other three teams had all been ranked #1 at different points this year and they had all been thinking "national championship" for months.

I think thta if you separate what you thought about it from how you feel about it, it becomes obvious which kind of loss you can deal with the best. Syracuse lost to Kentucky by 16 in 1975 in a game very similar to this year's game vs. UNC. They lost by 9 to a Kentucky team that had 9 future NBA players in 1996. They lost by 5 to Michigan in a disappointing performance marred by some questionable officiating three years ago. None of that compares to what happened in 1987.

For sure not all close losses are equal. Maybe I'm just being super unsympathetic towards what a UNC fan feels like or the refs or whatever, but I don't even think it was that bad.
They had a halftime lead 'cause they shot the 3 out of their minds and were outplayed in the 2nd half, then hit an incredibly lucky shot to only tie. :noidea:
Pantheon of highlight finishes for sure. That doesn't have to synonymous with the heartbreak pantheon imo.

It helps when you've got kids who are composed in these situations - it's the difference between having a chance to win and not. The ACC Pitt debacle was the first thing that came to my mind when Nova inbounded last night. 1987's an even more painful comparison.

For sure not all close losses are equal. Maybe I'm just being super unsympathetic towards what a UNC fan feels like or the refs or whatever, but I don't even think it was that bad.
They had a halftime lead 'cause they shot the 3 out of their minds and were outplayed in the 2nd half, then hit an incredibly lucky shot to only tie. :noidea:
Pantheon of highlight finishes for sure. That doesn't have to synonymous with the heartbreak pantheon imo.

We'd been ahead much of the second half and missed some free throws to give Indiana a chance. Villanova had been ahead much of the half and they missed free throws to allow UNC to tie it on Paige's shot and then grabbed the victory right back.

Worst post ever SWC. You really needed to post that? People have gone to great lengths not to see that shot again. I closed my eyes or changed the channel every time the CBS college intro played when it was on it for like 20 years.
Tell me about it. All these years later I still get pissed off and sad around Halloween when I see this crap in stores.
2016-04-05 11.37.42.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom