4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games

Maybe. But if we lose we'll have a lot of folks here saying that they "expected" us to lose in that hostile environment.
7 wins is all that matters. Not sure why people are in such a hurry to say the next game seals his fate, it 100% does not. They have given him 8 years, they will wait until after the Wake game to do anything unless he goes into the Wake game at 4-7, then maybe

In my opinion the VT game decides Dinos future.

VT game can make it, but not necessarily break it. It's the BC game that can break it.

Have a feeling we're going to go into that game 4-4. Lose it, and he'd have to run the table (which won't happen).

Win it, and there's still a slim path to 7-5, which saves his job.

Stealing a win in those last 3 games would have been nice and the complete thud hurt.

That said most of us were hoping they'd steal 1 win but didn't and these 5 games might tell us the mindset of the team as well. A loss to VT, does Dino lose the team or would it take losing 2 out of the next 3?

This team is relatively young so it'll be interesting how this plays out.

Team is healing up, getting their heads together and working on some new twists for VT and beyond.

Second half coming up soon.

1697550734533.gif

Shoot...if we go into Wake at 4-7, there will be large Uhaul parked out front of his house with suit cases
on the front lawn at CHEZ Babers...

But I look at the 4-0 CUSE team...that team was tough, nasty, confident. THAT TEAM was good enough to win 4 of our last 5. But we haven't been THAT TEAM in almost a month. So which team shows up Messrs Babers, Shrader, Wax, Beck and Long?

Even if we ran the table, we'd have maybe 1 or 2 wins over a D1 team with a record over .500. That just doesn't excite me and it just sets the table for more mediocrity in the future.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I don't want SU's ceiling to be that of a good MAC season...ie: Get crushed by the big dogs but rack up a bunch of wins vs mediocre competition.

In all honesty I think I do have to just lower my expectations.

Even if we ran the table, we'd have maybe 1 or 2 wins over a D1 team with a record over .500. That just doesn't excite me and it just sets the table for more mediocrity in the future.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I don't want SU's ceiling to be that of a good MAC season...ie: Get crushed by the big dogs but rack up a bunch of wins vs mediocre competition.

In all honesty I think I do have to just lower my expectations.

Yes, I think you need to. If we run the table and go 9-3, this place should be doing backflips.

I don't think we're going to, but if we did...

Yes, I think you need to. If we run the table and go 9-3, this place should be doing backflips.

I don't think we're going to, but if we did...
I certainly wouldn't be calling for Dino's job...but I wouldn't look back on this season being a memorable or special one either.

I certainly wouldn't be calling for Dino's job...but I wouldn't look back on this season being a memorable or special one either.

Tough crowd. It would be the ninth 9 win regular season in the 125 year history of the program. Third this century.

I get that none of the wins would have been against top competition, but still...

I'm pretty beaten down by the last two weeks, and think the alarm bells are ringing that this season might be the latest start quick then tank. But if we pulled it off?

This is also the best the ACC outside of Clemson has looked in a while. Someone finally beat ND. The conference us included has been flat out bad for the most part other than them.

Not sure that bodes well for our final 5 but a strong finish will be a good season.

People wanting to push a button and replace Dino and 2 proven coordinators need to chill out. Win the next 2 and things will be looking up.

This isn’t a good job. Every new coach is going to try and leverage an 8-4 year here into a better job before things regress. We also have to pray we don’t get screwed again with scheduling when it changes for the 3 new garbage programs Clemson FSU Ville and Pitt every year for a decade was a death sentence.

For so many years people complained that we had to lighten up the OOC enough so that we had 4 wins baked in to help become bowl eligible. Well you got what you wanted this year and now it’s a negative because we haven’t beaten anybody.

For so many years people complained that we had to lighten up the OOC enough so that we had 4 wins baked in to help become bowl eligible. Well you got what you wanted this year and now it’s a negative because we haven’t beaten anybody.
It’s not a negative at all. SOS means next to nothing for us we’re not competing for a spot in the CFP. It means even 7 games in we’re not 100% sure what kind of team we have, we’ve played 4 bad teams, 3 good teams, the only thing we can say for certain is this team can’t compete with any elite team. If we’re a bad team we only need to find 2 wins to get to bowl eligibility, if we’re even a decent team we could find 8 wins. That wouldn’t be possible if we played “somebody” and those free wins turned to Ls.

Last edited:
It’s not a negative at all. SOS means next to nothing for us we’re not competing for a spot in the CFP. It means even 7 games in we’re not 100% sure what kind of team we have, we’ve played 4 bad teams, 3 good teams. If we’re a bad team we only need to find 2 wins to get to bowl eligibility, if we’re even a decent team we could find 8 wins. That wouldn’t be possible if we played “somebody” and those free wins turned to Ls.

Not really what I’m talking about.

Does being bowl eligible real mean anything anymore?I think 86 out of 133 teams make a bowl these days.In the past going to a bowl meant you had a really good year and the entire football community noticed you and watched your game as it was usually a stand alone game on national
tv.I guess I just want more than making a bowl as to measure what kind of team we have and what kind of year we had.

Does being bowl eligible real mean anything anymore?I think 86 out of 133 teams make a bowl these days.In the past going to a bowl meant you had a really good year and the entire football community noticed you and watched your game as it was usually a stand alone game on national
tv.I guess I just want more than making a bowl as to measure what kind of team we have and what kind of year we had.
It means something when you’re consistently one of the 47 teams not making a bowl. If a bowl game isn’t our goal then what are we shooting for?

7 wins is all that matters. Not sure why people are in such a hurry to say the next game seals his fate, it 100% does not. They have given him 8 years, they will wait until after the Wake game to do anything unless he goes into the Wake game at 4-7, then maybe
well the way I see it is not so much the one game L, but if it happens (especially if we get smoked - again), then theres very little chance of salvaging anything decent, they'd continue the downward slide I'd imagine. So, yes, this one game likely determines his ultimate fate

It means something when you’re consistently one of the 47 teams not making a bowl. If a bowl game isn’t our goal then what are we shooting for?
How about competing for a conference championship? Maybe try being competitive against good teams and God forbid we actually beat a good team more than once every 5 years.I hope our goal isn’t to be 6-6 and go to the Bahama Mama turd bowl every couple years.

Well then you aren’t one of many that screamed for an easier schedule because it would make bowl eligibility easier and that’s what it is all about.

How about competing for a conference championship? Maybe try being competitive against good teams and God forbid we actually beat a good team more than once every 5 years.I hope our goal isn’t to be 6-6 and go to the Bahama Mama turd bowl every couple years.
We’re in square 1. We’ve been to 7 bowl games in 23 years and won 10+ games in that span twice. Everybody wants to compete for conference championships, and one day we can. But with where we are right now as a program getting to a bowl game on a consistent basis should be a start. Our conference has national championship contenders in it, and we can barely get a top 50 recruiting class and win enough games to get bowl eligible on a consistent basis. Baby steps.

You said the people who wanted easy OOC (I’m one of them) got what we wanted and now it’s a negative, just saying why I don’t see it as a negative whatsoever.

Misread your post then.

Tough crowd. It would be the ninth 9 win regular season in the 125 year history of the program. Third this century.

I get that none of the wins would have been against top competition, but still...

I'm pretty beaten down by the last two weeks, and think the alarm bells are ringing that this season might be the latest start quick then tank. But if we pulled it off?

It's not only that none of the wins were against top competition, but also that we weren't even competitive against top competition.

I get I'm supposed to be excited about 8-9 wins, no matter who they came against...but I can tell you I'm going to remember the seasons (bad ones) we beat VT in 3OT, Louisville as 35 point dogs, and Clemson in 2017 a lot more than if we win 9 games and beat WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom